BootManager Instructions.

Search This thread

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
ok still trying to play with this thing, even if i am on an ics rom, i can not seem to get ics to boot. hangs at htc screen.

however i did get coredroidmod v6.6 to boot up without issues. can add that to the list of working roms. :)

CoreDroidMod v6.6 is listed in the second post now. Thanks

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Kirby Baker

May 1, 2006
Southwest Michigan
Thanks for this thread! Just installed the Boot Manager app and tried to install CoreDroid and MIUI, both using ext4 partitions, and it failed on each one. Now doing it again with ext2 and MIUI appears to be installing. :)

*update* Had issues getting any installed ROM to boot, they would hang at the white HTC screen. I double checked the settings again, and somehow the force large boot.img selection had cleared itself. Selected it again and restarted Boot Manager to confirm the setting stuck this time, and now I can boot into an SD ROM!

Last edited:
Reactions: strapped365

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
Thanks for this thread! Just installed the Boot Manager app and tried to install CoreDroid and MIUI, both using ext4 partitions, and it failed on each one. Now doing it again with ext2 and MIUI appears to be installing. :)

*update* Had issues getting any installed ROM to boot, they would hang at the white HTC screen. I double checked the settings again, and somehow the force large boot.img selection had cleared itself. Selected it again and restarted Boot Manager to confirm the setting stuck this time, and now I can boot into an SD ROM!

Thanks for the post I added flash all ROMS as EXT2 to the op in step 9. I thought it was in there but I had missed that. Anyways its there now

hamagc

Nov 8, 2009
So Cal
lol tried to get our sense 4 rom to boot using this but was not able to. every time i get a boot.img build error, almost right off the bat. almost 4gb on card, will try clearing some more space. this would make working on this so much easier!

Edit, turning off large boot img, I can get it to flash but not boot. White htc screen :-(

Last edited:

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
lol tried to get our sense 4 rom to boot using this but was not able to. every time i get a boot.img build error, almost right off the bat. almost 4gb on card, will try clearing some more space. this would make working on this so much easier!

Well even if you got the ROM to flash to the SD I don't think you could push or pull or logcat or any of the major functions. Notice when in an sd ROM the stock Disk Drive selctions still pop up but don't work. I think its the same thing

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA

hamagc

Nov 8, 2009
So Cal
Well even if you got the ROM to flash to the SD I don't think you could push or pull or logcat or any of the major functions. Notice when in an sd ROM the stock Disk Drive selctions still pop up but don't work. I think its the same thing

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA

had to test to be sure, booted coredroidmod and while booting accessed adb without issue including logcat, same with after it booted.

however i can not seem to get the sd to mount as you said. even using the build in options to mount sd card via bootmanager are not working.

sparksco

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
Nice write-up! :good: Some things I did notice is that my system size is acually 495mb's total and not 488mb's and cache is 149mb's and not 150mb's. Not sure that it makes that much of a difference but thought I would point that out, thanks again!
4306a4a7-0c70-faba.jpg

Last edited:

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
Everything is running great so far. One quick question, can I install custom kernels on the roms that are booted from my sdcard or will it install them to the system rom?

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
Everything is running great so far. One quick question, can I install custom kernels on the roms that are booted from my sdcard or will it install them to the system rom?

Eh that would be a stab in the dark man to be honest lol. Also the values I instructed to apply was the values I got when I ran the same command you did, so maybe I had some junk in my system. Rounding the values up is better than having them to small. Like system is set to small by a few mb, and later I'm going to update the op to have users try the settings with the new system size. Having the partitions to small is where issues come, to big is no issue. Also init2winit suggested the values that I have posted based of my output of commands, but no one else spent the time getting it figured, now we just tweak it

Sent from my HTC MyTouch 4G Slide running MikXE

Reactions: sparksco

Kirby Baker

May 1, 2006
Southwest Michigan
Eh that would be a stab in the dark man to be honest lol. Also the values I instructed to apply was the values I got when I ran the same command you did, so maybe I had some junk in my system. Rounding the values up is better than having them to small. Like system is set to small by a few mb, and later I'm going to update the op to have users try the settings with the new system size. Having the partitions to small is where issues come, to big is no issue. Also init2winit suggested the values that I have posted based of my output of commands, but no one else spent the time getting it figured, now we just tweak it

Just commenting on the mount sizes, mine are:

/system = 495.8 mb
/data = 430 mb
/cache = 152 mb

Going to guess there is a lot of variation out there...

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
Just commenting on the mount sizes, mine are:

/system = 495.8 mb
/data = 430 mb
/cache = 152 mb

Going to guess there is a lot of variation out there...

Yeah I was on SS when I ran the commands. So far 496 looks like the setting for system, now maybe ill go home and use 152 for cache to see if some of the nonbooting ROMS will start booting.

Then again, this could be the reason the speedy don't have official support, because the partitions are slightly off between devices?

Kirby Baker

May 1, 2006
Southwest Michigan
I got my readings from CoreDroidMod. Your theory on the different sizes makes sense (for lack of support) but why would they be different? Would think that would (could) cause all sorts of technical issues for HTC.

*edit*
Any thoughts on how to get out of a bad SD card boot? I've gone into recovery and flashed the phone-rom's update.zip, but it continues to boot into the SD card slot. UGH!!!

Last edited:

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
I got my readings from CoreDroidMod. Your theory on the different sizes makes sense (for lack of support) but why would they be different? Would think that would (could) cause all sorts of technical issues for HTC.

*edit*
Any thoughts on how to get out of a bad SD card boot? I've gone into recovery and flashed the phone-rom's update.zip, but it continues to boot into the SD card slot. UGH!!!

Your sure you backed up the phone ROM? That zip has always brought me back to a phone ROM when the tested ROMS didnt boot

hamagc

Nov 8, 2009
So Cal
Restore boot.img from nandroid. Will boot back into phone rom.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
All I did was a data factory reset and flashed new rom in recovery. Also regarding the partitions is it possible that ota updates can change the partition sizes? I know Strapped said previously he doesn't update ota's at all.

Sent from my HTC Evo Shift using xda app-developers app

Kirby Baker

May 1, 2006
Southwest Michigan
Finally got it. I had flashed newRunny to a slot and was having a hell of a time getting it to start up. Finally once I had solid WiFi signal it booted and I could run Bootmanager, then booted phone rom just fine. Guess newRunny doesnt like being run off the sd card much, but I was just playing around until hopefully a stable ICS rom with everything working comes along that I can use for my daily driver. Until then, back to CoreDroidMod.

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
All I did was a data factory reset and flashed new rom in recovery. Also regarding the partitions is it possible that ota updates can change the partition sizes? I know Strapped said previously he doesn't update ota's at all.

Sent from my HTC Evo Shift using xda app-developers app

That's something to think about because your right I have never did an ota update on any device I've owned. I'm totally against them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright so the speedy does not have official support from Boot Manager but i have played around with the settings and got it working, you have to manually edit the variables.
    1.) Open Boot Manager and go to settings ( if its the first time opening the app it will say unsupported either email the developers or manually enter variables )
    2) INSIDE SETTINGS Make sure large boot.img is checked ( i couldn't get anything to boot with smaller boot.img )
    **now in manually set variables
    3.) Device name = speedy
    4.)SDcard block = dev/block/mmcblk1p1
    5.)System size in mb = 496
    6.)data size in mb = 430
    7.)cache size in mb = 150
    **make sure to hit the set button beside each line**
    8.) Then in extras ( its the screen all the way to the right of the ROM page )
    make sure you set your sd booster up to at least 2048.
    9.) Flash all ROMS using EXT2 Regardless of boot manager seeing ext4

*I tested all these ROMS with an 8GB Class 2 SanDisk.*
    Here ill list out the working ROMS i have got to boot with Boot Manager

1.) newSENSE-RC-2
    2.)Supreme Sense-v-X-a2sd
    3.)Mokee OS 1.0 ( permission issues but works)
    4.)Mokee OS 1.2
    5.)MIUI v2.3.30 ( posted by Bfitz26)
    6.)U.K.E v 1.4.6 ( with gapps ) *Flash the ROM to SD then flash gapps with no wipe. Then boot into SD ROM
    7.)CoreDroidMod v6.6

**NOT WORKING with Boot Manager**
    1.) Zens cm 9 build
    2.)Joy OS
    Thanks for spending time to figure this out. Ill try it and play around a bit. Let you know if I find anything

Sent from my HTC Evo Shift using Tapatalk 2
    Nice so i is like a 4 boot partition?

Sent from my PG06100 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Yeah I have all them systems on my sd card and can boot between then with a reboot

Great will try tommarrow and will upload some scrennies if you don't get to it before I do :)

Sent from my PG06100 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

so i got everything set up then it says to back up "rom" but it says don't use if it is a sd card rom? does this make a difference casue from what i understand all roms are on the sd card reguardless..??

It says backup the phone ROM, which means while running the phone ROM back it up,, iit dont want you to make a sd ROM your go to ROM it wants an actual OS to be backed up which i think it just copies the boot.img