[ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Search This thread

CoyoteKeith

Feb 6, 2013
unfoldyourwings,

We overshot ADB, please do:

Code:
cd //
cd /Users/gamzez/Downloads
cd Apple64

Then do:

Code:
./stuff/adb kill-server
./stuff/adb start-server
./stuff/adb devices

If you see a serial number (if you do see a serial number after "./stuff/adb devices" then reboot the Kindle and the Apple, wait 3 minutes and start this process over) proceed:

Code:
./stuff/adb install suchecker.apk
./stuff/adb reboot

IT WORKED :victory::victory::victory:

Thank you guys so much for your hard work and dedication to getting these scripts working for us Mac users. YOU'RE AWESOME!

Keith

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

IT WORKED :victory::victory::victory:

Thank you guys so much for your hard work and dedication to getting these scripts working for us Mac users. YOU'RE AWESOME!

Keith

CoyoteKeith,

We have to say, this was a challenging one, since the process worked flawlessly for a couple of months. Sometimes you have to change the software to make it work. In your case, it took a number of changes to the software and to the actual method used but through your perseverance we finally got it done together.

Thank you very much for your hard work and efforts, this will make it much smoother for people in the future.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Chris,
First off, thankyou for this post, I have been struggling with rooting my kindle for quite a while now.
I am on ubuntu/linux, messing with a kindle 2...
So this is my problem;

Im hoping this isnt because of something I had previously done. Any ideas?

Dawson,

Have you downloaded the latest copy of our software released today 02/10/2013? If no, go to the main page and check the reduced steps - be sure to refresh your browser so you see the latest information, OK? You will see some changes to the software, so download the correct package for your platform. Also, be sure you update Java per the new instructions. Once you do this the Root process is really smooth.

Feb 4, 2013
unfoldyourwings,

We overshot ADB, please do:

Code:
cd //
cd /Users/gamzez/Downloads
cd Apple64

Then do:

Code:
./stuff/adb kill-server
./stuff/adb start-server
./stuff/adb devices

If you see a serial number (if you do see a serial number after "./stuff/adb devices" then reboot the Kindle and the Apple, wait 3 minutes and start this process over) proceed:

Code:
./stuff/adb install suchecker.apk
./stuff/adb reboot

Code:
Last login: Thu Feb 14 13:27:49 on ttys000
localhost:~ gamzez$ cd //
localhost:// gamzez$ cd /Users/gamzez/Downloads
localhost:Downloads gamzez$ cd Apple64
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb kill-server
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb start-server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb devices./stuff/adb install suchecker.apk
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

-d                            - directs command to the only connected USB device
                                 returns an error if more than one USB device is present.
 -e                            - directs command to the only running emulator.
                                 returns an error if more than one emulator is running.
 -s <specific device>          - directs command to the device or emulator with the given
                                 serial number or qualifier. Overrides ANDROID_SERIAL
                                 environment variable.
 -p <product name or path>     - simple product name like 'sooner', or
                                 a relative/absolute path to a product
                                 out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.
                                 If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT
                                 environment variable is used, which must
                                 be an absolute path.
 devices [-l]                  - list all connected devices
                                 ('-l' will also list device qualifiers)
 connect <host>[:<port>]       - connect to a device via TCP/IP
                                 Port 5555 is used by default if no port number is specified.
 disconnect [<host>[:<port>]]  - disconnect from a TCP/IP device.
                                 Port 5555 is used by default if no port number is specified.
                                 Using this command with no additional arguments
                                 will disconnect from all connected TCP/IP devices.

device commands:
  adb push <local> <remote>    - copy file/dir to device
  adb pull <remote> [<local>]  - copy file/dir from device
  adb sync [ <directory> ]     - copy host->device only if changed
                                 (-l means list but don't copy)
                                 (see 'adb help all')
  adb shell                    - run remote shell interactively
  adb shell <command>          - run remote shell command
  adb emu <command>            - run emulator console command
  adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
  adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
                                 forward specs are one of: 
                                   tcp:<port>
                                   localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
                                   dev:<character device name>
                                   jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
  adb jdwp                     - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport
  adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] [--algo <algorithm name> --key <hex-encoded key> --iv <hex-encoded iv>] <file>
                               - push this package file to the device and install it
                                 ('-l' means forward-lock the app)
                                 ('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data)
                                 ('-s' means install on SD card instead of internal storage)
                                 ('--algo', '--key', and '--iv' mean the file is encrypted already)
  adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
                                 ('-k' means keep the data and cache directories)
  adb bugreport                - return all information from the device
                                 that should be included in a bug report.

adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-shared|-noshared] [-all] [-system|-nosystem] [<packages...>]
                               - write an archive of the device's data to <file>.
                                 If no -f option is supplied then the data is written
                                 to "backup.ab" in the current directory.
                                 (-apk|-noapk enable/disable backup of the .apks themselves
                                    in the archive; the default is noapk.)
                                 (-shared|-noshared enable/disable backup of the device's
                                    shared storage / SD card contents; the default is noshared.)
                                 (-all means to back up all installed applications)
                                 (-system|-nosystem toggles whether -all automatically includes
                                    system applications; the default is to include system apps)
                                 (<packages...> is the list of applications to be backed up.  If
                                    the -all or -shared flags are passed, then the package
                                    list is optional.  Applications explicitly given on the
                                    command line will be included even if -nosystem would
                                    ordinarily cause them to be omitted.)

adb restore <file>           - restore device contents from the <file> backup archive

adb help                     - show this help message
  adb version                  - show version num

scripting:
  adb wait-for-device          - block until device is online
  adb start-server             - ensure that there is a server running
  adb kill-server              - kill the server if it is running
  adb get-state                - prints: offline | bootloader | device
  adb get-serialno             - prints: <serial-number>
  adb get-devpath              - prints: <device-path>
  adb status-window            - continuously print device status for a specified device
  adb remount                  - remounts the /system partition on the device read-write
  adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the bootloader or recovery program
  adb reboot-bootloader        - reboots the device into the bootloader
  adb root                     - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
  adb usb                      - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
  adb tcpip <port>             - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on the specified port
networking:
  adb ppp <tty> [parameters]   - Run PPP over USB.
 Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
 <tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
 [parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
  <localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be updated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
    is updated.

environmental variables:
  ADB_TRACE                    - Print debug information. A comma separated list of the following values
                                 1 or all, adb, sockets, packets, rwx, usb, sync, sysdeps, transport, jdwp
  ANDROID_SERIAL               - The serial number to connect to. -s takes priority over this if given.
  ANDROID_LOG_TAGS             - When used with the logcat option, only these debug tags are printed.
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb reboot
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide MAJOR UPDATE 02/14/2013 at 21:48 Rev4.2.22

We have 26 functions at the moment in our software, the software is growing at a rate of 1 to 2 options a day.

OK, now to the new release: Official Major Release Dated 02/14/2013 at 21:48 Rev 4.2.22-

Kindle Fire First Aide Universal Package: KFFirstAide.zip

Kindle Fire First Aide 32-bit Optimized Version: KFFirstAide32.zip

Kindle Fire First Aide 64-bit Optimized Version: KFFirstAide64.zip

Kindle Fire First Aide RunMe Update (Included With The Above Packages): RunMe.zip

Make sure the PC has the latest version of Java SE: Java SE Development Kit 7u13

Our software has an option to wipe the Dalvik Cache and user data. Let us know if there are any errors during the installation

baif_fr

Feb 16, 2013
Root, but Google market does not work ...

Kindle Fire HD 7" v7.2.3 / Ubuntu '12 .04 Linux 32

First of all, thank you for your extraordinary work and the availability and accuracy of your support. Naturally I hope that you will give a little indulgence and availability to a poor frenchie through google to translate, if not understand ;)
Thanks to your instructions, after several trial and error because my English fails, simply run "Linux 32-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux32.zip 'I got to the stage where I could launch' Root Check Basic 'on my KHDF7 that seemed happy to meet me 'Congratulations! Has This device root access! "
Effectively by ES File Explorer, I can go back to the root of my system and see the files, etc. mnt root system ... '

But when I try to load an application on Google market it closes without warning and loading remains stop;

Where did I miss a step?

I confess that all happy with my 'root' I am not yet passed the stage 'B) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed, I'm stuck on what because I do not see a tutorial for Ubuntu Linux.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2013
OTA Step 1: [HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

Next, move onto our How to: Install Google Play Step-by-Step Thread.

Both of them are for Windows. How can I do it via Mac? I want the Google Play Store and Jelly Bean ( I hate the Amazon Display + I can't download every Apps I would like to). How do I get them after rooting my Kindle? I'm now at Step B).

baif_fr

Feb 16, 2013
Génial

Kindle Fire HD 7" v7.2.3 / Ubuntu '12 .04 Linux 32

First of all, thank you for your extraordinary work and the availability and accuracy of your support. Naturally I hope that you will give a little indulgence and availability to a poor frenchie through google to translate, if not understand ;)
Thanks to your instructions, after several trial and error because my English fails, simply run "Linux 32-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux32.zip 'I got to the stage where I could launch' Root Check Basic 'on my KHDF7 that seemed happy to meet me 'Congratulations! Has This device root access! "
Effectively by ES File Explorer, I can go back to the root of my system and see the files, etc. mnt root system ... '

But when I try to load an application on Google market it closes without warning and loading remains stop;

Where did I miss a step?

I confess that all happy with my 'root' I am not yet passed the stage 'B) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed, I'm stuck on what because I do not see a tutorial for Ubuntu Linux.
Thank you for your help.
Finally,
I put everything in place according to your specifications by the manual method. I must say that the result is great especially considering the price of the Kindle Fire HD bought in France by Amazon.
But a question I have been able to avoid paying Amazon to remove the advertising?
That does not stop me from giving you a gift but I would gladly rose that I have to pay Amazon. :laugh: :good: :good: :good:

MrGrieves09

Mar 4, 2013
Hello,

Thanks for all your great job ! I've been watching this thread for a couple of days and I'm quite interested in rooting my girlfriend's Kindle Fire (not the HD one).

As a newbie, I'm a bit scared with this work. What worst can happen to the kindle ? Is there a chance it get locked if I do something wrong (except switching it off at the bad moment, of course) ? Or it just won't work. :confused:

Thank you for your replies !

Cédric

twomasROX

Mar 5, 2013
Missing File

I have followed the steps and all seems to be fine until :

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Finally go back to the Kindle, navigate to the /Apps tab, click on Device, next find and click on Superuser.apk initialize the Superuser daemon.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Finally, using a Web Browser Download suchecker.apk to the /RootPackage32or64Folder/#: suchecker.apk. After the download has completed, open a command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:

It seems tht the link for the suchecker.apk is not valid anymore. Can you point me in another direction to download this file? I do not have another android device to sideload.

thanks

skaetlo

Mar 9, 2013
SOLVED: adb permission denied, on Ubuntu 12.10

The adb binary wasn't executable, had to run "su chmod +x" on /<path>/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18/stuff/adb.

Works great now, thanks for all the work you've shared!

Last edited:

minion1835

Jul 28, 2012
I can get the "./RunMe.sh" to run but I am having the same problem as ryanne81.
my kindle ask for a "device encryption password" which I have never activated.

Originally Posted by ryanne81 View Post
Hi! I been reading the whole pages of this thread and i notice nobody had encounter this problem
I had with my KFHD 7...It says " Please enter your device encryption password below" This was the message
i got with Runme.bat. and below the screen of my Kindle there's two option "donot restore" and "Restore my Data"
but I simply cannot choose restore coz its asking for a password which i dont have....
My kindle was bought thru Amazon Japan and has 7.2.3fw...

Yes, we have seen this problem. It is normally caused by encrypting the data on the

SD Card. Did you enable Data Encryption? If yes, use the data encryption

password. None of our utilities are encrypted, so the do not need a password.

I am using a mac 10.7.5

problem solved, my computer is connected by wifi and the device encryption password is the password used to connect to the router.

I have the android w/ cape, but I am unsure what to do at step 6 and not sure what to do?

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Re: [ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Ver

I can get the "./RunMe.sh" to run but I am having the same problem as ryanne81.
my kindle ask for a "device encryption password" which I have never activated.
Ignore the device encryption password. You haven't set one so you don't have one. Just tap "Restore my device"

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Re: [ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Ver

soupmagnet

I found out what the password was, now I am not sure how to procced wit step 6.
Can you elaborate? I don't use this tool so I don't know what step 6 is. Where are you having problems? You have Superuser installed, right? Have you checked to see if you have root permissions?

hondamarlboro

Oct 28, 2010
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (Japanese version)

Thanks for great tutorial!

Successfully rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Japanese version, just launched at Amazon.co.jp on March 12th.

System Version: 8.2.0_user_2032620
MacBook Air 2011 Mid
OS X 10.8.2

Feb 4, 2013
HELP!!

Hey everyone,

I need your help. I rooted my Kindle Fire HD (7.2.3) I now have 'SuperSU' and 'Root Check Basic' Applications on my Kindle Fire HD.
What I want is to have the 'Google Play Store' and the latest 'Jelly Bean' version. How can I do this? It only shows me the way with a PC but not with a Mac.

Thanks for all your responses!

gwbard

Hey everyone,

I need your help. I rooted my Kindle Fire HD (7.2.3) I now have 'SuperSU' and 'Root Check Basic' Applications on my Kindle Fire HD.
What I want is to have the 'Google Play Store' and the latest 'Jelly Bean' version. How can I do this? It only shows me the way with a PC but not with a Mac.

Thanks for all your responses!
sideload KindleFree from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2072198,
install play store, then go buy the pro version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree_License

Reactions: unfoldyourwings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

This is a simple Step-by-Step guide on How To: How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux or Mac - Noob (Simple) Version. The main group steps are outlined with A, B, C while the sub-group steps are outlined with 1, 2, 3.

Prerequisites:

1. Software: Linux (tested on Linux Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal 32-bit and 64-bit) or Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later (32-bit and 64-bit)
    2. Hardware: Free USB 2.0 or Greater Port
    3. Software: Linux GNU C Library (glibc) 2.7 or later is required, On Ubuntu Linux, version 8.04 or later is required,
    64-bit distributions must be capable of running 32-bit applications.
    4. Hardware: Kindle Fire HD 7" or Kindle Fire 2 7"

icon4.gif
    Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

It is important that you use our Software since we use the latest versions of Superuser.apk and the su binary.

A) First we will install the needed software, then move on to Rooting the Kindle through the ADB Service.

Unplug the Kindle from USB. Go to your Kindle, navigate to the pull down options bar, choose More > Security

Be sure to Enable ADB by clicking On

Next Go to your Kindle, navigate to the pull down options bar, choose More > Device

Be sure to Allow Installation of Applications by clicking On

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 1: Go to your Mac or Linux workstation, download and unzip Root MANY ANDROID! there are 3 different versions, we have taken steps to optimized for each specific platform, please select the correct one matching your platform. If you are having trouble determining which one to download post the question inside this thread. Pay close attention to the path where you unzipped the download.

Linux 32-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux32.zip
    Linux 64-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux64.zip
    Mac 64-bit Version 18.5.1: Apple64.zip

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 2: Plug the Kindle into the free USB 2.0 Port. Wait for the driver to install
    about 2 minutes. Mac OS X and Linux do not require any special drivers, the default driver built into these platforms will be
    sufficient.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 3: Open up a Browser, go to Oracle Java, Download and Install Java Platform (JDK) 7u13 - Please reboot after the install:

Linux 32-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-jdk.html
    Linux 64-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-jdk.html
    Mac 64-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/mac/mac-jdk.html

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 4: Open up a Terminal, at the Terminal window ($ command prompt) type:

Code:
    su -
    Enter your Root Password if requested to do so. You should now see a # at the command prompt. Ubuntu Users would use:

Code:
    sudo before each command (Ignore su-)
    Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Next go back to the open command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:

Code:
    chmod 777 RunMe.sh
    sh RunMe.sh

OR

./RunMe.sh
    Ubuntu Users would use:

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 RunMe.sh
    sudo sh ./RunMe.sh
    Choose option 1, Run Normal Method and ignore errors. Pay attention, you will need to answer "Restore" a dialogue box on the Kindle. Click on Restore. When the program has completed, the Kindle will Reboot.

If you receive 'can not execute items in the stuff folder', please check to make sure you downloaded the correct package for your platform. The Linux 64-bit package will not work on a 32-bit computer. If you have verified your download and you are still seeing the 'can not execute items in the stuff folder' message, please post a screen shot in this thread.

Code:
    exit
    Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Finally go back to the Kindle, navigate to the /Apps tab, click on Device, next find and click on Superuser.apk initialize the Superuser daemon.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Finally, using a Web Browser Download suchecker.apk to the /RootPackage32or64Folder/#: suchecker.apk. After the download has completed, open a command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:

Code:
    ./stuff/adb kill-server
    ./stuff/adb start-server
    ./stuff/adb devices
    ./stuff/adb install [URL="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/suchecker.apk"]suchecker.apk[/URL]
    ./stuff/adb reboot
    Root Kindle Fire HD Step 8: When the install has finished, go to your Apps. Launch Root Checker Basic When you check Root you will be presented with a "Allow" dialog box, be sure to Allow Root Checker. You should now see that Superuser.apk is working. Here is a screen shot of Root Checker Pro:

2013.02.09-21.19.38.jpeg

You should now have root AND if this is true your ADB communication is also functional!

B) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed.

OTA Step 1: [HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

OTA Step 2: Reboot the Kindle.

Note: You may still install the updates manually after you have read the install notes and know what to expect. The updates and manual install instructions can be found on Amazon Support here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201016350

Next, move onto our How to: Install Google Play Step-by-Step Thread.

If this was helpful and you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/dona....php?u=4435645
    How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD with Linux or MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Thanks great tutorial, many have been waiting for this and I am sure this is easy to follow like your other NOOB tutorials.

Thank you for the feedback, we did receive a number of requests. We are truly honored

to be a part of the XDA Community and we have a passion around upgrading/tweaking

tablets.
    Root and Google Play for Amazon Kindle Fire HD & 2 on a MAC

OK, I am clearly not doing this stage right, as when I try to run it says no such file exists.
    I am totally clueless when it comes to this, so how, exactly, do I copy the contents to Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ ?
    Thanks for any help.

frackamazon,

You would drag and drop the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17 folder contents into

Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ - the process is either copy and move or drag

and drop. The following is a tutorial:

Moving files and folders consists of deleting the item from its original location and placing it in a new location.

Drag and Drop

To move items using the Drag and Drop method, click the item you wish to move and drag it to its destination folder. The item will automatically be deleted from its original location. Dragging and dropping an item to an external drive or mounted disk will not delete the original item but rather will simply copy it. If you wish to move a file or folder to an external drive, hold down the Command key before you release the mouse button. The item will then be deleted from the original location.

Copy and Move Items Here

Note that while the Copy and Paste commands work with copying a file or folder, there is not the familiar Cut and Paste commands when moving files and folders that one finds in most Mac applications. The feature does exist – it is just hidden. To move a file or folder from one location to another, choose Edit > Copy from the menu or use the keystroke combinations: Command + C. Then, switch to the location to where you want to move the time. Click Edit on the menu and then hold down the Alt or Option key to display the hidden menu item Move Item Here. You can also press the Command + Option + V keystroke combination.
    Selecting Move Item Here (or pressing the Command + Option + V keystroke combination) will delete the item from its original location and move it to the new location. If you copied three items, the hidden menu item would read Move 3 Items Here.

To Move a File or a Folder using the Copy and Move Item Here Commands

1. Select the item you wish to copy.
    2. Select Edit > Copy from the menu.
    3. Open the folder into which you want to place a copy of the item.
    4. Press the Command + Option + V keystroke combination
      Or
      Select Edit on the menu, hold down the Alt or Option key on your keyboard and choose Move Item Here from the menu.
    Ok, I know we're supposed to look and look and look until we find the answer, being noobs and too stupid to be allowed to speak and all (thanks, lovely mean video they make you watch before you sign up...), but I'm tired of looking and I just don't get it. Sorry. Can somebody please help me?

Please keep in mind: I'm not a programmer, I don't know how to use Unix and enter command prompt, i'm just a lowly nursing student who can't afford to pay for all the apps I bought on Google Play again so I can use them through Amazon, and would like to be able to just use this as an android tablet with Google. I'm basically following this like a recipe, only there's too much in here that's not explained and is not obvious to those of us who aren't programmers, or to me, anyway.
    Trying to root my Kindle Fire HD 8.9: System Version 8.4.3, using a Macbook Pro with OS X Lion 10.7.5

My questions:
    1) is it even possible to root this version based on these instructions? These are for 7.3 something, and I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to this question.

2) If I did root this device successfully, would the 4G data option still work? Can't seem to find a clear answer to this either. (but this is not my priority right now, I don't really NEED the 4g, to be honest, just seems a shame to not have the option since the tech is there).

3) I'm stuck on stage 5, entering the command prompt to run the RunMe.sh file. (unless I misunderstood some of the previous steps, in which case I'm stuck there).

What I did so far:
    1) I downloaded the Apple64.zip file to my computer's desktop. (Didn't run any of the files inside the Apple64 folder after unzipping them, but later in step 5, it seems like I was supposed to somehow).
    2) Connected the Kindle. Nothing happened except what usually happend which is that the Android File Transfer window opens. What drivers was I supposed to wait to be installed???? I assumed the drivers to be installed were so I can browse my android folders from the computer via this program. Is this wrong?
    3) Downloaded and installed the JDK, the one available at this time was: Java SE 7u25
    4) Opened a terminal on my mac, got through the su - and password thing to get the # at the command prompt

Now comes this:
    "Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Next go back to the open command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:
    Code:

chmod 777 RunMe.sh
    sh RunMe.sh

OR

./RunMe.sh"

Here's what I don't understand about this part: What command prompt do I enter this in? Are you talking about the Apple64 folder on my desktop? Because all that happens when I try to double click on the RunMe.sh file is it opens in TextEdit. I tried to see if I can open it with anything else, and so far no luck. I can type until I'm blue on the face in TextEdit, and it will do nothing.
    I then tried to run it from the terminal window with the # prompt, but that won't work either, I don't know how to type in the path to the file, correctly, I guess. Don't speak linux. What am I missing? Please help me get this!

I've rooted android phones in the past with no major problems, but it's been several years since I've done that last time and I just don't remember how I did it to know what's different now.

Thanks! I would really appreciate any help you can offer.
    K.
    Okay,

Technically, there are no "drivers" that need to be installed on a Mac. When you plug the Kindle in, the Mac will (should) automatically detect that a storage device has been connected to the USB. The only portion of the 2nd generation Kindle's storage that is accessible by default, is part of the userdata partition which has been mounted as the "sdcard". On 2nd generation devices, like the one you have, you will probably only have access to the DCIM folder, which is used to store images, like those taken by the camera. Unix is able to do this by default without any additional "drivers" or packages installed. There's a little more to it than that (like the fact that Macs don't have MTP functionality by default), but that should do for now.

On the other hand, in order for the Mac to communicate with the device via the ADB (Android Debug Bridge), as would be the case when attempting to "root" the device, a certain file and folder needs to be in place and properly configured for it to work. The folder is named ".android", and it should be located in your Home directory. A dot ( . ) in front of a directory or file name in systems like Unix, Mac or Linux, indicates that file or folder is hidden from view. The file is named "adb_usb.ini" and should be located within the ".android" folder mentioned previously. Unless you have your Mac set to show hidden files and folders, this needs to be checked by using the Terminal (command prompt).

As for the Terminal...the Terminal is a teletype console emulator used to communicate with the system's shell. For the purposes of this explanation, it is basically the same as Windows' Command Prompt window (although much more powerful). Here you will enter the commands needed to perform your various tasks. Using the Terminal, you are able do anything you would normally be able to do using the mouse and the graphical user interface. You can create, copy, cut, paste and delete files and folders, change directories, edit file and folder permissions, and a great number of other things that cannot be done using the graphical user interface alone. When you click on, and drag a file to another directory or "Finder" window, the Graphical User Interface (GUI) has to communicate with the shell in order to accomplish what you want done. It's simply doing what you would be doing in the Terminal by entering commands, but by giving you a visual representation of what's happening.

In order to use Terminal effectively, you need to learn the basics of navigation and file & folder creation/manipulation. The following link is a good start for new users and it's pretty easy to understand:

http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/introduction-to-the-mac-os-x-command-line

Once you have that figured out, you can check that your computer is configured properly to communicate via the ADB using the following commands:

Code:
    cd ~
    ls -la
    cat ./.android/adb_usb.ini
    1)The first command makes sure you are in your home directory where the .android folder should be located
    2)The second command lists the contents of your home directory, including hidden folders, so you can make sure that the .android folder exists
    3)The last command makes sure the "adb_usb.ini" file exists and has the correct information (this should return 0x1949)

If the commands listed previously confirm that everything is in place and configured properly, you can continue with rooting your device using the script/tool you downloaded, which should do everything in a Terminal (command prompt) environment anyway. And yes, you can root your device with it's particular software version.

As for having 4G enabled, it should work without problem on the stock software, assuming you have a data plan. However, if you install a custom ROM, the 4G will not work for the time being. The developer of the 2nd generation Kindle Fires' custom kernel is still working to add this issue, I believe.
    Not Rooting :(

Bin4ry root is failing for me (kf hd 7 11.3.2.4) :(
    there is an idea which a might root

you may be able to use the first aide tool to install a backup of a rooted kindle fire and use that but there are none online (at least i haven't found one)

If anyone has a rooted kindle fire can they please log out of their fire and send me a full backup?

Or send me a link to one online

p.s. if you have one please share with all of us not just me