[Q] Why do I lose 3% battery in 10 mins, then it's fine after that?

Search This thread

CoronaDelux

May 5, 2012
New York City
Not sure what's happening with my phone, but after removing the plug on my fully charged phone, I will let my phone sit idle for about 10 mins, when I go wake the screen, I see that I've already lost 3% of battery capacity.

The weird part is after this initial 3% is gone, my battery will drain normally. Does this mean I need to calibrate my battery? Is there anyway to do this without damaging it?

mortenmhp

Jul 23, 2008
Hedensted
It means you need to get a new hobby... seriously, why do you care if it changes nothing what so ever. In order to fix this, you should try not checking your battery percentage every 2 minutes. On the upside, this will probably give you another half hour of battery life as well.(damn a change of attitude would fix like 90% of problems on this site)

On a more serious note, it's likely just because your phone doesn't keep charging when it hits full charge, it stops charging in order to not kill your battery, and lets it drain to like 90% at which point it will charge back up to 100%, so it may be at any point in between when you disconnect it. Even if it is truly at 100% when you disconnect the charger, the measurements may not be completely accurate when approaching 100%, so it is likely, that could make it drop faster at first. You need to do nothing in order to fix this, seriously don't mess with it.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Not sure what's happening with my phone, but after removing the plug on my fully charged phone, I will let my phone sit idle for about 10 mins, when I go wake the screen, I see that I've already lost 3% of battery capacity.

The weird part is after this initial 3% is gone, my battery will drain normally. Does this mean I need to calibrate my battery? Is there anyway to do this without damaging it?

Are you running stock or custom kernel and any custom ROM? Ive noticed this sometimes too but that's because the phone, when unplugged is running services to start phone on battery power versus the cord/wall charger. Check logcats to see what happens when phone unplugged to see what may be happening when phone starts on battery.

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
I think you are worrying about it a little too much. It could be searching for service (which drains a lot of battery), starting services as someone previously said, heat is horrible for a battery, anything. If the drain is normal after that who knows it could be the ROM you are on, battery percentage not being reported correctly.

Not worth an RMA by any means. Reset battery stats in recovery and see how that works out for you.

MisterRich

May 15, 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
Bear in mind, these batteries are cell batteries, a user who plugs their phone in every time the battery hits 50%, is going to notice over a period of time the time it takes to go from 100% to 50% is shorter and shorter, and suddenly, 49%-0 holds a better charge. If you're constantly charging your phone, you'll wear those cells of your battery down. This is where the "hoax" of always letting your battery drain to 0% when you get it to "maximize" battery potential came from.