[MOD] GPS Quick Fix - AGPS - NTP - Global

Search This thread

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
Realizing that many people are having GPS issues (not only hardware) on the N5 and partly due to this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2523341 , I am posting here the GPS config file which should help alleviate most software issues while locking onto GPS Satellites.

It enables AGPS lock with a dirty threshold (much like iPhone) and then keeps improving your position to the nearest metre. So when you open a GPS app you are not in another continent but much nearer to actual location and then keeps getting better within seconds (especially with Open Sky visibility)

THIS IS NOT MY WORK. I HAVE BEEN USING THIS CONFIG SINCE LAST YEAR. DONE BY SOME PERSON HERE @ XDA

Method 1 - Flash attached file in recovery
Method 2 - Extract the gps.conf from the zip and push to /system/etc. Reboot

Attachments

• GPS_Fix_Global_AGPS_NTP.zip
    254.2 KB · Views: 10,847

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I installed through recovery. I notice the GPS.conf file is dated Aug 2008. Can't believe improvements haven't been made since then. I haven't been outdoors to test it yet, to cold. Won't lock at a window.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: zenicsg

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
I installed through recovery. I notice the GPS.conf file is dated Aug 2008. Can't believe improvements haven't been made since then. I haven't been outdoors to test it yet, to cold. Won't lock at a window.

Use this app and it will show you on a map which Sat in your area ... from my window it actually locks 2-3 that it can see and you can even see on map the ones it locked onto :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

Reactions: The-Droidster

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I use GPS Status, tested it against GPS Test; they fix at about the same speed and same number of sats and same accuracy. I prefer the screen on GPS Status.

An interesting observation. I put my phone in airplane mode at home since I get bad to no reception (6PM to about 8 AM). I went outdoors were I know I get 1 bar to test GPS. In airplane mode, no lock in GPS Status or Test or Maps (sees 20 sats, but no lock). If I toggle airplane mode off, BAM, instant fix (9-10 sats). Then later in the day if I turn on airplane mode, GPS seems to work fine. No issues at all on my 2012 Nexus 7, so that tells me there's a software issue with phone radio and GPS. I have phone on "device only".

So if I know I need GPS, I make sure airplane mode is off. Compass (arrow) on Maps is still a little squirrely, Osmand compass direction is much more accurate.

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
Reactions: tetrakinitis

mikenhu

Aug 12, 2013

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
The parameter of gps.conf file may be different depends on your country and continent. I used FasterGPS app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps&hl=enand it worked for me so far. It contains all the flashable gps.conf files for all available countries and all continents so that you can pick which suits you most. Or you can go to this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1233256 they also provides the gps.conf files as well, pick one and flash yourself.

That country specific files do not help so much so as the ones I linked since those ones don't have any parameters for agps defined at all.. Only changing ntp server to your country one doesn't help that much

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ck.chunkeat

Apr 24, 2012
use the app I linked few posts back to check on satellites visibility.. If it shows some and still no locks then it's hardware issue

I used GPS status,I do see some GPS but it just won't lock.
And when I put my phone outside the window,it will lock but once I take my phone inside,less than 0.5 meter,then it won't lock anymore..

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
I used GPS status,I do see some GPS but it just won't lock.
And when I put my phone outside the window,it will lock but once I take my phone inside,less than 0.5 meter,then it won't lock anymore..

Oh that's normal... Without open sky view you will not get satellite lock so the agps tries to give your approx location using multiple sensors and wireless network towers

ck.chunkeat

Apr 24, 2012
Oh that's normal... Without open sky view you will not get satellite lock so the agps tries to give your approx location using multiple sensors and wireless network towers

Is it? I thought it was suppose to be able to lock to the satelite even in indoors? cause I saw people getting gps lock even when they are indoors..

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
Is it? I thought it was suppose to be able to lock to the satelite even in indoors? cause I saw people getting gps lock even when they are indoors..

I get a perfect luck indoors and shows me right on my house location on Google maps.. You know how? My wifi!! Using details from your provider and current setup, it gets a pinpoint accuracy using wifi NOT GPS for indoors

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I get a perfect luck indoors and shows me right on my house location on Google maps.. You know how? My wifi!! Using details from your provider and current setup, it gets a pinpoint accuracy using wifi NOT GPS for indoors

That's not "GPS lock". If you set location on "device only", I bet you don't get a lock indoors (unless near a window).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Realizing that many people are having GPS issues (not only hardware) on the N5 and partly due to this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2523341 , I am posting here the GPS config file which should help alleviate most software issues while locking onto GPS Satellites.

It enables AGPS lock with a dirty threshold (much like iPhone) and then keeps improving your position to the nearest metre. So when you open a GPS app you are not in another continent but much nearer to actual location and then keeps getting better within seconds (especially with Open Sky visibility)

THIS IS NOT MY WORK. I HAVE BEEN USING THIS CONFIG SINCE LAST YEAR. DONE BY SOME PERSON HERE @ XDA

Method 1 - Flash attached file in recovery
    Method 2 - Extract the gps.conf from the zip and push to /system/etc. Reboot
    If someone needs it, I made a flashable zip file to revert gps.conf to original.
    But I haven't tested it myself.
    Wow, very nice. Huge improvement in locking onto satellites using GPS status. Thanks for sharing

Well, my N5 is currently telling me that I am about 50 miles from where I am. And it has been doing that since last night.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

So, is it possible to flash this onto my phone without rooting it? And how please?

Don't think it's possible. Pretty sure you need root to access and modify your /system settings.