what does "Boot into bootloader" mean?

Search This thread

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
thanks, and do I run the commands from windows command prompt?

Attachments

• t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 87

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Navigate to the option you want, using the VOL up/down buttons, pressing the power button to select.

Sent from my XT1053

Not.
Hold power to cause reboot.
Once screen is out release & hold power & volume down for 2 sec then release power, to enter BL.
Volume down to scroll.
Up to select.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Ap fastboot & bootloader are now one screen, all in one. Older. Motos had 2 screens.

Last edited:

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
You need to have the phone connected to your PC and then you need to open a command prompt in order to input the commands.
If on Windows go to "Start" then in the search window type, "cmd" and a command prompt will open and you can put the command in for your phone.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
thanks, and do I run the commands from windows command prompt?
There are two ways to get into the bootloader/fastboot menu...

Option 1:

power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously

Option 2:

If USB debugging option on your phone is turned on, and you have a properly setup ADB, AndroidSDK Platform tools, and moto drivers on your pc...

Open a command prompt and type...
adb reboot-bootloader
The phone will restart into the bootloader/fastboot menu.

That being said, the graphic says "downgrade to the 4.2.2 camera update" Hopefully that is just helping you ask your question. BUT If you are really trying to downgrade to the 4.2.2 w/camera update... BE WARNED!! IF YOU HAVE 4.4.2 already on your phone, do NOT DOWNGRADE THE ROM!!! doing so will either brick your phone now, or set you up for a brick should you try and take an OTA update in the future!!

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
There are two ways to get into the bootloader/fastboot menu...

Option 1:

power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously

Option 2:

If USB debugging option on your phone is turned on, and you have a properly setup ADB, AndroidSDK Platform tools, and moto drivers on your pc...

Open a command prompt and type...
adb reboot-bootloader
The phone will restart into the bootloader/fastboot menu.

That being said, the graphic says "downgrade to the 4.2.2 camera update" Hopefully that is just helping you ask your question. BUT If you are really trying to downgrade to the 4.2.2 w/camera update... BE WARNED!! IF YOU HAVE 4.4.2 already on your phone, do NOT DOWNGRADE THE ROM!!! doing so will either brick your phone now, or set you up for a brick should you try and take an OTA update in the future!!

Mark thanks, this is proving to be a little more difficult than the last phone my razr M that I rooted.. I simply hooked up the USB cable to the PC and phone enabled debugging on the phone and ran a few commands from Windows command prompt and that was it I didn't have ADB or the SDK kit installed on the PC at all just a Motorola drivers. so now I'm off to try to download the SDK and see if I can figure out how to do this I have 2 brand new Moto X with 4.4 not 4.4.2. the make your own moto X maker on Motorola's website is still shipping the new phones with 4.4

D

Darth

Not trying to offend....but one piece of advice. You started 3 threads to get to this point. It would've been easier to follow your issues and help if it was all in one thread. ;)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Mark thanks, this is proving to be a little more difficult than the last phone my razr M that I rooted.. I simply hooked up the USB cable to the PC and phone enabled debugging on the phone and ran a few commands from Windows command prompt and that was it I didn't have ADB or the SDK kit installed on the PC at all just a Motorola drivers. so now I'm off to try to download the SDK and see if I can figure out how to do this I have 2 brand new Moto X with 4.4 not 4.4.2. the make your own moto X maker on Motorola's website is still shipping the new phones with 4.4

The newer phones are getting harder and harder to root.

For the X with 4.4, use the SlapMyMoto thread, which also has a link to the MotoWpNoMo thread which you must use too (if you have a locked bootloader). Its not a simple process, BUT if you read (not skim), and completely follow the directions, you'll be able to do it.. then do NOT take the 4.4.2 OTA!!!!! if you want to stay rooted with write protection disabled.