[ROOTED] Rooting An Acer Iconia A100

Search This thread

abliss

Jun 7, 2006
The A100 ships with acer/vg_gen2/vangogh:3.2/HTJ85B/1311401634:user/release-keys . Its copy of /system/bin/vold includes a fix for GingerBreak, so that exploit won't work.

I also tried the iconiaroot-1.3.apk but it did not work either. Logcat says 'E/CMD_SERVER( 102): cmd_server: invalid argument !'. They apparently "fixed" the bug by scanning the input command for semicolons. But you can still use backticks to inject commands!

So until sc2k releases a new iconiaroot-1.4.apk, this should work:

Steps to get root (LINUX VERSION):
0. put your favorite su binary in /mnt/sdcard/su
1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`'
2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`'
3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su\`'

Steps to get root (WINDOWS VERSION, just the same minus the backslashes):
1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Note that this just gives you a working "su". Installing SuperUser.apk or whatever frontend you like is left as an exercise to the reader.

Last edited:

Diknak@gmail.com

May 27, 2010
So do you have the A100? I have been looking for some info on it. Mainly on if it comes with a GPS or not. There doesn't seem to be an official spec list anywhere.

((RayDar))

Aug 27, 2009
Lightspeed

I can't wait until the Lightspeed ROM is made available for the A100.

Does anyone know if someone is working on that?

Reactions: OpaPiloot

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
tried this. I can see the superuser app installed but root is not working.
adb shell > su yields permission denied.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
It says no such file or directory.
It does not seem to copy su from the sdcard.
Also adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`' does not seem to put the system in RW mode.
I really dont know how the superuser app displays under my apps though if it didnt copy su.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Some more info:

When running the commands from your initial post, it fails on:

2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`'

The error is The system cannot find the path specified.

However if i login to a shell session via adb shell first and then run "/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`' " it does not fail, but it also does nothing. i can't find su under /system/xbin

jgal

Apr 3, 2009
Warsaw
usb host

sorry for such a question in a rooting thread, but it is actually as interresting as the GPS "confusion". Does the A100 have USB host capabilities? And if not, would it be possible to get such functionality working? Maybe an A500 port would help in this matter, as it has a full blown USB?

((RayDar))

Aug 27, 2009
A100 == A500 + time

Does the A100 have USB host capabilities? And if not, would it be possible to get such functionality working? Maybe an A500 port would help in this matter, as it has a full blown USB?

The A100 is a scaled down (physically, not electronically) version of the A500 with a different starting version of the OS (3.2 instead of 3.1). Although the A500 and A100 have both been rooted, the source code for Honeycomb has not been released to the public so we cannot expect fully custom ROMs such as Cyanogen for the A500/A100.

However, what can be done after rooting is the installation of additional kernel modules and configuration files to enable additional functionality. The hardware on the A100 is capable of USB host (as it is on the A500) but needs one of these kernel modules and some configuration changes to get it working.

We should be able to achieve everything that has been accomplished with the A500 (including support for external USB modems!) but we may not be able to directly use the solutions that were developed for the A500 because of the differences in the starting point.

For examples of what has been done with the A500 (and therefore should be doable with the A100 now that root has been achieved) google for "A500 ROM list". Developers have made flashable images with the kernel modules and configuration changes built right in to one handy dandy image. One such all-in-one solution is http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1188253.html

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
The A100 is a scaled down (physically, not electronically) version of the A500 with a different starting version of the OS (3.2 instead of 3.1). Although the A500 and A100 have both been rooted, the source code for Honeycomb has not been released to the public so we cannot expect fully custom ROMs such as Cyanogen for the A500/A100.

However, what can be done after rooting is the installation of additional kernel modules and configuration files to enable additional functionality. The hardware on the A100 is capable of USB host (as it is on the A500) but needs one of these kernel modules and some configuration changes to get it working.

We should be able to achieve everything that has been accomplished with the A500 (including support for external USB modems!) but we may not be able to directly use the solutions that were developed for the A500 because of the differences in the starting point.

For examples of what has been done with the A500 (and therefore should be doable with the A100 now that root has been achieved) google for "A500 ROM list". Developers have made flashable images with the kernel modules and configuration changes built right in to one handy dandy image. One such all-in-one solution is http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1188253.html

Maybe i missed this but where do you see the A100 has been rooted? The topic of this specific post is confusing as it does not work. i have tried it and while you do see superuser installed, you don't have root access.
So unless i missed something, i don't think the A100 has been rooted yet.

((RayDar))

Aug 27, 2009
Maybe i missed this but where do you see the A100 has been rooted?

From the first two posts in this thread:
So until sc2k releases a new iconiaroot-1.4.apk, you can try this:

Steps to get root:
1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`'
3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su\`'

And:
I will probably release a new version of iconiaroot tonight.

It seemed to me that root on the A100 had been achieved -- especially since "ROOTED" is in the title of this thread.

If not, then my post should say "Although the A500 has been rooted and one day the A100 will be as well, ...".

Last edited:

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Yes, sadly the above commands don't really work (at least not for me).
They don't mount the system as RW and su never gets copied over to /system/xbin

Hoping that someone can figure this out.

abliss

Jun 7, 2006
Some more info:

When running the commands from your initial post, it fails on:

The error is The system cannot find the path specified.

However if i login to a shell session via adb shell first and then run "/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`' " it does not fail, but it also does nothing. i can't find su under /system/xbin

What do these command say?
1. adb shell ls -l /system/bin/cmd*
2. adb shell ls -l /mnt/sdcard/su
3. adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The A100 ships with acer/vg_gen2/vangogh:3.2/HTJ85B/1311401634:user/release-keys . Its copy of /system/bin/vold includes a fix for GingerBreak, so that exploit won't work.

I also tried the iconiaroot-1.3.apk but it did not work either. Logcat says 'E/CMD_SERVER( 102): cmd_server: invalid argument !'. They apparently "fixed" the bug by scanning the input command for semicolons. But you can still use backticks to inject commands!

So until sc2k releases a new iconiaroot-1.4.apk, this should work:

Steps to get root (LINUX VERSION):

Steps to get root (WINDOWS VERSION, just the same minus the backslashes):
    1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
    2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
    3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Note that this just gives you a working "su". Installing SuperUser.apk or whatever frontend you like is left as an exercise to the reader.
    I've found the easiest way to get root is by doing the following:

From your a100's browser download the copy of su below:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip

Next, use a file manager (like astra or similar) to extract the su file and copy it to the root of your external sdcard. (/mnt/sdcard)

Install a terminal emulator from the market.

Open the terminal emulator and copy / paste the following into it:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

ls /system/xbin/su

If the last command says something about no such file, you've done something wrong. Check to see that the su file itself is in /mnt/sdcard (you can type this in the terminal emulator to check:

ls /mnt/sdcard/su

if that comes back no such file.. then you didn't copy the su file to the right place.

If the last command shows /system/xbin/su then you're all set, install superuser.apk from the market. Install titanium backup and see if it prompts for superuser wheb you launch it. If that works install busybox.

Hope this helps!

The su copy commands are thanks to sc2k and sabliss also of XDA. Good luck!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    First of all, I'm new to this community :)

Second of all, I've asked Devs from other communities if they could lend us a hand and a couple of them have agreed. I will try working with them in an attempt to contribute something to this community. Just be patient, as it may take some time tho.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    I picked up a $189 Acer Iconia A100 on Black Friday from Best Buy and wanted to root it moments after I got home with it. I found a site that offered the instructions with kudo's to XDA at the bottom of the article. I came here imediately and searched for the root procedure. I found some complex stuff using ADB which is fine (I used ADB to root my phone last year) but I wanted something a bit quicker and easier so Google brought me to: http://dcarico.com/articles/android-apps/1016-acer-iconia-a100-root-instructions.html

I can confirm that I did this without ADB or a Laptop/desktop computer. He uses ES File Explorer and Android Terminal Emulator.
    Basically, you'll need to download the su.zip he provides in the article, unzip the su.zip into the /mnt/sdcard directory, copy and paste 3 lines into the Terminal Emulator and then you are good to go. I downloaded Superuser from the Android Market and installed and I also installed busybox, Titanium Backup, etc. I hope this helps any of you new Acer Iconia A100 users. :D

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

How do I get the superuser binary onto the root of the internal sd card?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Download it to the device from whatever website you found it on and the use a file manager Like ES File Manager to extract the zip to the directory you want.
    I will probably release a new version of iconiaroot tonight.