[Q] Does a custom rom automatically carrier unlock a phone?

Search This thread

ttwitc9516

May 19, 2009
East Central Illinoia
I have an XT912. According to Straight Talk when I type in the MEID I can use this phone if it is unlocked. I'm assuming it will be on a gsm network. Will a custom ROM automatically carrier unlock the phone?

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
I have an XT912. According to Straight Talk when I type in the MEID I can use this phone if it is unlocked. I'm assuming it will be on a gsm network. Will a custom ROM automatically carrier unlock the phone?

To answer your question no, a custom ROM will not unlock your phone automatically. Rom's affect UI(User Interface) and not carrier specific alteration's. The alteration's you would need to swap carriers affects CID, IMEI... I dunno, something in that area.

On another note, I would do a bit more research if I were you. To my knowledge you cannot unlock GSM for the United States, which means straighttalk is out of the question. The xt912 is locked to CDMA in this region, Verizon's CDMA, so you cannot even use it with Sprint. The only alternative carrier I know of that you can use the xt912 on is Pageplus. You would need a xt910 to operate on GSM in the United States

ttwitc9516

May 19, 2009
East Central Illinoia
Aren't all carriers required to ship their new phones carrier unlocked? Consequently, wouldn't all rom's based on ICS and above be automatically carrier unlocked? The phone's specs, according to GSMArena, are gsm 850 and 1900, hdspa 850 and 1900, and cdma 800 and 1900.