Warnings with SD cards for A2

Search This thread

philipvipe123

Apr 23, 2012
So I recently ordered a Sandisk Class 4 16 gb sd card for my Atrix 2. I wanted to be able to keep a backup of a ROM at all times while having 500 songs on my phone..but 2 gb just didnt cut it.
So i tried to connect the card with my phones USB cable while having it in the device, but it just wasnt showing up on the computer. I had to end up using a card reader.
It still works...just something to keep in mind while buying SD cards.

So I recently ordered a Sandisk Class 4 16 gb sd card for my Atrix 2. I wanted to be able to keep a backup of a ROM at all times while having 500 songs on my phone..but 2 gb just didnt cut it.
So i tried to connect the card with my phones USB cable while having it in the device, but it just wasnt showing up on the computer. I had to end up using a card reader.

In order to view files on your sdcard on your computer, you have to select the "USB Mass Storage" option.

goodgulf

May 21, 2008
Although problems do not seem to be prevalent with the slower class cards, it might be a good idea to follow Patriot's advice regarding formatting. The suggestion was posted by Patriot in response to a review of a 32GB class 10 microSDHC.

Patriot acknowledged a problem with hemorrhoid OS and 32GB class 10 cards and suggested a temporary fix of performing a full format on a Windows PC with a 32kb allocation size, obviously FAT32 since stock hemorrhoid does not recognize NFTS.

The reply can be found in this review although the specific page will change if more reviews are added.

Reactions: xdduser

hamba9551

May 14, 2012
Sandisk ultra mobile 32gb class 6/10(expensive n useless)

i bought 2 times brand (Sandisk 32gb class 6/10)..its only can be used for 1 day with my Atrix 2(supercharged V6)..after that.. damn corrupted!! now im using brand (KingMax 32gb class 10)..its been used for a month..nothing problems occur..:good:

xdduser

Jul 7, 2012
I got a 16gb class 4 sandisk and I am formatting it in my computer using following method:
I inserted the memory card in my E71 and connected it to my computer in mass storage mode. Then I started formatting using fat32, 32kb through my computer. But it is taking ages. Since last 2 hours, only 35% is completed. My questions:
1) Can i stop the format in between ? Or will it lead to certain faults?
2) Is the format this slow? Or should I try formatting it by putting it in adaptor and putting the adaptor in laptop slot and then format?

hamba9551

May 14, 2012
Im still enjoying my 33gb class 10 with Kingmax..hopefully fine till last..enjoying movie 1080p n hd game with smoothly running on my atrix 2 via supercharged V6..

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

A1deN

Aug 8, 2012
Deltona
I remember reading somewhere that some class 10 SD cards don't play nice for the Atrix 2. If that is so then what brands are the ones that do work well for the Atrix 2? I'm still rockin the 2gig, and well it just isn't cutting it.

I remember reading somewhere that some class 10 SD cards don't play nice for the Atrix 2. If that is so then what brands are the ones that do work well for the Atrix 2? I'm still rockin the 2gig, and well it just isn't cutting it.

I'm using a Kingston 32GB Class 4 card, which is actually in my SGS3 now from my A2, and I have never seen anything to complain about with it. I still hit high benchmark scores as noted with my A2 as well as my SGS3, thinking though that I may try a higher rated class sdcard for the SGS3, since it doesn't seem to have the issues that the A2 has seen. But, a little more digging around has to be done before I make that kind of jump! (Better safe than sorry!) But, yes, the Class 10 cards will -eventually- give you grief if you try to use one with the A2. Not sure the 'scientifically-proven' answer to give here, just know that from everything I have seen, which has been substantial enough for me to believe that...

Reactions: The n00binator
Sandisk 16gb Class 4 card doesnt work. The phone restarts.

You should try a re-formatting of the sdcard, as you likely have some corrupted app data/other data that is causing the rebooting. A Class 4 card should give you no problems like this, unless you have some issues like I just mentioned.

And if you're trying to restore app data from, say, Titamium Backup, I recommend you do not do this. Just try a fresh format of the card, and do not restore data to it. Run your phone afterward for a good while to test. If your phone continues to reboot after you have tried this, changes are that you can rule out the possibility of the cause being due to the sdcard, and we can explore other possible known culprits...

Last edited:

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
You should try a re-formatting of the sdcard, as you likely have some corrupted app data/other data that is causing the rebooting. A Class 4 card should give you no problems like this, unless you have some issues like I just mentioned.

And if you're trying to restore app data from, say, Titamium Backup, I recommend you do not do this. Just try a fresh format of the card, and do not restore data to it. Run your phone afterward for a good while to test. If your phone continues to reboot after you have tried this, changes are that you can rule out the possibility of the cause being due to the sdcard, and we can explore other possible known culprits...

+1 formatting the SD is good...I've had this card in three other devices and it works flawlessly after formatting when major changes are made. (FXZ, SBF, switching ROMs ect.)

Sent From My Delicious Ice Cream Sandwich! Not Your Disgusting Apple Pie!

Silas0220

Mar 4, 2011
I just put an 8gb class 4 SD card in my phone. I formatted it via the phone twice and rebooted. My camera saves pictures and videos that say they can't be opened when I try to go play them. And Doggcatcher has the majority of my podcast downloads failing. This has persisted after a couple reformats. Thoughts?

Sent from my Gemini spacecraft.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you format the sdcard IN THE PHONE prior to trying to view the files via your computer?

thats probably it. I had this happen off and on until I let android format it. my recomendation would be to put it in your computer and format it as fat32 then put it in the phone and have it format it
    Although problems do not seem to be prevalent with the slower class cards, it might be a good idea to follow Patriot's advice regarding formatting. The suggestion was posted by Patriot in response to a review of a 32GB class 10 microSDHC.

Patriot acknowledged a problem with hemorrhoid OS and 32GB class 10 cards and suggested a temporary fix of performing a full format on a Windows PC with a 32kb allocation size, obviously FAT32 since stock hemorrhoid does not recognize NFTS.

The reply can be found in this review although the specific page will change if more reviews are added.

I'm using a Kingston 32GB Class 4 card, which is actually in my SGS3 now from my A2, and I have never seen anything to complain about with it. I still hit high benchmark scores as noted with my A2 as well as my SGS3, thinking though that I may try a higher rated class sdcard for the SGS3, since it doesn't seem to have the issues that the A2 has seen. But, a little more digging around has to be done before I make that kind of jump! (Better safe than sorry!) But, yes, the Class 10 cards will -eventually- give you grief if you try to use one with the A2. Not sure the 'scientifically-proven' answer to give here, just know that from everything I have seen, which has been substantial enough for me to believe that...