[GUIDE] Triple threat SD card..CM7-CM9-CM10 noob guide

Search This thread

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
This is a guide to use with Windows to create a 3-Boot SD card for a nook Tablet 8GB or 16 GB. After you are done you will be able to choose to boot into your regular nook OS or choose between CM7, CM9 or CM 10.

I have tested this on an 8gb Nook Tablet with 1.4.3 and it worked just fine although my wife is currently rockin a nook using CM10 flashed to enternal so I did not explore all the rom’s but from what I read they are stable and are pretty awesome. You may be able to choose others, so read what others are saying or try it after your comfortable using this process and report back. Be sure when you visit the links for the rom’s to thank the devs and all involved for their hard work. I am sure as much time as they put in would appreciate a donation too if you can.

BE AWARE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR NOOK COULD POTENTIONALLY “BRICK” YOUR DEVICE AND RENDER IT USLESS SO PROCEED OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL.

I nor any rom’s tools or pages you visit will be held responsible for what you are about to do.
That being said, this is pretty safe and there are real good guides to return your NT to stock so follow the directions and you’ll be fine.

I did not invent this concept or anything you will use, I just saw some frustration out there on the innerwebs so told someone I would write up a noob friendly guide to get this DUN. So remember to give thanks to the great devs out there providing these tools and please donate if you can. to keep getting great tools and information.

I do wish to express my personal thanks again to everyone involved, the creators of these tools and rom’s and to XDA for allowing all of this to be possible.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

1. A nook TABLET if you want to use the card ;)

2. Get your self a SanDisk class 4 or 6 MINI SD card with adapter, 4GB MIN..BIGGER=MORE STRAGE your getting 3 rom’s sooooo 4 IS the absolute minimum size for this guide.

What is a class 4 SD card?
Classes are for speed. Below 4 is YUK! & I found 10 to be too fast for the NT but should still work. 6 is optimal and I used a 4 and it works like a champ.
(On the card itself it will have a C with a number in it, that’s where to find the class).

Set up a new folder on your desktop and name it what ever you want to save all your downloads to.

TOOS NEEDED

SDFormatter Get it from here https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

SD card Partition tool - You can get that here
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

SD BOOT ZIP That should be here
http://www.mediafire.com/?77vmhq6ce8c9hz3

WinRAR (it’s a file manager)
Make sure you get the one for your system, 32 bit or 64 bit Get it Here…
http://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0

Go ahead and unzip/extract or run or install, and follow prompts. If they do not auto install go head and find the “set up” in the unzipped contents and set up following their prompts.

Some of this you may already have these tools, but after reading a lot and having to jump from thread to thread because some guides don’t include everything I am providing it all start to finish.

Lets sep up your SD card,

1. Put Your SD card in the adapter and then into your Windows PC and TAKE NOTE of the DRIVE LETTER IT IS ASSIGNED

2. Open the SDFormatter, select yes on any permissions, MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT DRIVE FOR YOUR SD CARD. It will be the same drive letter you noted in step 1.

3. Choose FORMAT TYPE (FULL ERASE) from the drop down and click ok. Then OK again when its done. Close the SDFormatter.

4. Open your Mini Tool Partition wizard Click ok.

5. You should see A disk at the top, THIS IS YOUR PC DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THIS DISK...EVER...There may be others depending on what you have on your PC.
Look in the lower portion for the disk that has the DRIVE LETTER you made a note of in step 1. This is you SD card so it should have about the same capacity as what your using (4gb SD=3.69 one mine) . Click on that disk. (mine says Disk 2) click it.

6.On the left pane click Delete All Partitions and answer yes
7. Below the disk where you last clicked you will either see your drive letter or a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane.
8. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick Primary from the drop down.
Beside FILE SYSTEM select FAT32 from the drop down. On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 550Mb
Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type boot. Click OK,
Then look for the big BLUE checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done,
Now RIGHT click on that partition that says (your drive letter) :boot and go to modify and click on ACTIVE and then CLICK the BLUE APPLY check mark again, then yes, then ok.

9. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick Primary from the drop down.
Beside FILE SYSTEM select ET4 from the drop down. On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 350mb

( These are for the rom’s the names are not important & you can name them or put the rom’s in any order you choose. I chose for you just to simplify and keep track of where you are)

Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type CM-7. Click OK,
Then look for the big BLUE checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done,

10. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick Primary from the drop down.
Beside FILE SYSTEM select EXT4 from the drop down.
On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to (500mb for 4gb SD, 1000mb for 8gb, SD & 2000for any SD card bigger than a 16)
Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type DATA-CM-7.
Click OK,

11. . Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 350mb
Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type CM-9.
Click OK,

12. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to (500mb for 4gb SD, 1000mb for 8gb, SD & 2000for any SD card bigger than a 16)
Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type DATA-CM-9.
Click OK,

13. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 350mb
Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type CM-10.
Click OK,

14. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type DATA-CM-10.
Click OK,
Then look for the big BLUE checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done.

15. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down. Beside FILE SYSTEM select FAT32 from the drop down. Then look for the big BLUE checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done.

(NOTE: It may appear to hang here, DON’T get impatient now…Wait it out, it will finish)

Card is ready, Now get some rom’s downloaded and take a breath and chill for a minute.

Grab CM7 rom from this link (great rom) ..roms's link says Download HERE MD5 95043b08484aa218ccf93b5ef4785825

.http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1481826

GB Gapps here…http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

ICS rom here…

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1534192ICS Gapps here…http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

JB Rom here…(Another great rom, this is what my wife is rockn'
)http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877217

JB Gapps here…http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

Get the rom’s ready…
this gets a little tricky so follow closely, It may get crowded on your screen J

DO NOT UNZIP or EXTRACT ANY ROM”S OR GAAPS

1. UNZIP ONLY the SD Boot folder to here. DO NOT UNZIP or EXTRACT ANY ROM”S OR GAAPS

2. Right click the CM7 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

3. ON THE CM7 rom, Open the SYSTEM FOLDER, open the etc folder, Scroll to the bottom and look for Vold.fstab

4. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM7_Gingerbread, open 3_os.

5. click and drag the vold.fstab file to the place where you saw the vold.fstab in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

6. Right click the CM9 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

7. ON THE CM9 rom, Open the SYSTEM FOLDER, open the etc folder, Scroll to the bottom and look for Vold.fstab

8. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM9_ice_cream, open 3_os.

9. click and drag the vold.fstab file to the place where you saw the vold.fstab in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

10. Right click the CM10 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

11. ON THE CM10 rom, Open the SYSTEM FOLDER, open the etc folder, Scroll to the bottom and look for Vold.fstab
12. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM10_Jelly_bean open 3_os.

13. click and drag the vold.fstab file to the place where you saw the vold.fstab in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

PHASE 2 finish getting rom’s and gapps ready…

1. Right click the CM7 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

2. ON THE CM7 rom, Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script
3. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM7_Gingerbread, open p2, openrom,

4. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

5. Right click the CM9 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

6. ON THE CM9 rom, Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

7. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM9_ice_cream, open p5, open rom,

8. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.
9. Right click the CM10 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT Or UNZIP

10. ON THE CM10 rom, Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

11. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM10_Jelly_Bean, open p7, open rom,

12. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in
the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

Gapps,

1. Right click the gapps-gb20121108...zip that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

2. ON THE gapps-gb20121108...zip , Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

3. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM7_Gingerbread, open p2, open gapps,

4. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in
the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED gapps zip and replace it.

5. Right click the gapps-ics20120429...zip that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

6. ON THE gapps-gb20121108...zip , Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

7. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM9_ice_cream, open p5, open gapps,

8. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in

9. Right click the gapps-jb_20121011...zip that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

10. ON THE gapps-jb_20121011...zip , Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

11. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM10_Jelly_bean, open p7, open gapps,

12. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in
the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED gapps zip and replace it.,

Doin good, Hang in there.

Lets get ready to load the SD card.
Go to Start on your PC click computer or my computer, See the device labeled BOOT and your SD drive letter? Good, If not find it. But don’t open it.

1. Open the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, You will see your 3 rom folders and some files below,

2. Drag the flashing_boot, the MILO, the recovery and the u-boot.bin files to the root of your SD card,
(that is what you saw under my computer as the un opened device labeled boot.)

3. Now back on the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, Open CM7_gingerbread, open p2, drag the boot file at the bottom to the root of your SD card,

4. Now back on the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, Open CM9_Ice_cream, open p5, drag the altboot file at the bottom to the root of your SD card,

5. Now back on the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, Open CM10_Jelly_Bean, open p7, drag the altboot1 file at the bottom to the root of your SD card,

6. Drag your set up rom’s and gapps to the root of your SD card,
(that is what you saw under my computer as the un opened device labeled boot. And make sure you don‘ drag the zipped SD_Boot with them)

Ready to fire it up?

To Install the rom’s and gapps:

1. Remove SD card from your PC and place it in your NT

2. POWER OFF NOOK TABLET COMPLETELY. AND POWER BACK UP

3. You should se the nook “n” followed by the cyanoboot logo, as soon as the “n” disappears and you see the cyanoboot hold the hard “n” button on the bottom center of the NT until the boot menu loads.

4. Use the volume keys to Select OPPTION 4 SDC RECOVERY and hit the hard “n” button. (in the event you get two white androids and don’t boot into recovery wait a little longer,If it doesn't boot in 5 minutes power off and power back on.) ( If that fails power off remove card, put it back and try again,,,If that doesn’t work, Well I think you may have missed a step somewhere so start over :mad:

5. Use volume keys and select “install zip from SD card“, hit “n Button
6. Select “choose zip from sdcard” hit ‘n” button
7. Select CM7 Rom hit ‘n” button
8. Wait for it to install then “choose zip from sdcard” again choose GB gapps hit ‘n” button.
9. Select “choose zip from sdcard” hit ‘n” button Select CM9 Rom hit ‘n” button
10. Wait for it to install then “choose zip from sdcard” again choose ICS gapps hit ‘n” button
11. Select “choose zip from sdcard” hit ‘n” button Select CM10 Rom hit ‘n” button
12. Wait for it to install then “choose zip from sdcard” again choose JB gapps hit ‘n” button

HOLD YOUR BREATH, CROSS YOUR FINGERS, STAND ON ONE FOOT AND hit bower button, use volume keys to select POWER OFF. Just kiddin, if you made it this far you should be golden, just power off the NT by selecting it from the menu, take a deep breath and power back on. WAIT.. It may take a few minutes,

You should se the nook “n” followed by the cyanoboot logo, as soon as the “n” disappears and you see the cyanoboot hold the hard “n” button on the bottom center of the NT until the boot menu loads. Choose

Option sd boot= CM7 ( you may see white robots…keep waiting it will boot. )
Option 5 = ICS
Option 7 = JB

NOTE:
Be patient on first boot’s they can take a while to load for the first time. I did encounter an issue on a build once where 0ne of the rom’s did not load properly and wouldn’t boot. I powered off entered boot menu selected option 4 and re installed that rom and whalla.. so don't be affraid to reinstall if need be,

You now have a triple threat SD card… Please remember if you didn’t along the way to re visit used links and thank or donate to the devs. If you liked this guide feel free to toss a little my way too, :good:

If you decide you like long guides and want a to flash CM7 or CM10 to enternal emmc see my other guide here…

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2037368&highlight=sd+boot+zip
ENJOY

Last edited:

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
Way to take my work and post it here without even asking.

My sincerest apologies, I tried to provide actual links to everything used and give credit to everyone, as well as encourage donations to all you developers. My goal was only to provide a very detailed “how to” mentioning every step. I see a lot of very similar guides that leave out the little things that a noob like me gets stuck on. In the opening I stated that I do not invent or build any of this and it truly was not my intent on to offend anyone. If the moderator asks me to delete or amend anything on here I will of course comply. I have nothing but the greatest admiration and read in awe of all the great things that everyone does for each other on XDA.

Last edited:

terrytam

Oct 1, 2007
california
Oh Sh@t! I think I misread

Thanks for taking the time to put this primer together. It was VERY helpful and easier to follow than others available.

However - I think I misread this to be an SD based solution (not a full Rooting) but it appears I may have rooted my 8GB Nook Tablet in the process.

If that is the case, is there away to get it back to factory ROM????

Sorry - A nook Newbie :(

This is a guide to use with Windows to create a 3-Boot SD card for a nook Tablet 8GB or 16 GB. After you are done you will be able to choose to boot into your regular nook OS or choose between CM7, CM9 or CM 10.

I have tested this on an 8gb Nook Tablet with 1.4.3 and it worked just fine although my wife is currently rockin a full rooted nook using CM10 so I did not explore all the rom’s but from what I read they are stable and are pretty awesome. You may be able to choose others, so read what others are saying or try it after your comfortable using this process and report back. Be sure when you visit the links for the rom’s to thank the devs and all involved for their hard work. I am sure as much time as they put in would appreciate a donation too if you can.

BE AWARE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR NOOK COULD POTENTIONALLY “BRICK” YOUR DEVICE AND RENDER IT USLESS SO PROCEED OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL.

I nor any rom’s tools or pages you visit will be held responsible for what you are about to do.
That being said, this is pretty safe and there are real good guides to return your NT to stock so follow the directions and you’ll be fine.

I did not invent this concept or anything you will use, I just saw some frustration out there on the innerwebs so told someone I would write up a noob friendly guide to get this DUN. So remember to give thanks to the great devs out there providing these tools and please donate if you can. to keep getting great tools and information.

I do wish to express my personal thanks again to everyone involved, the creators of these tools and rom’s and to XDA for allowing all of this to be possible.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

2. Get your self a SanDisk class 4 or 6 MINI SD card with adapter, 4GB MIN..BIGGER=MORE STRAGE your getting 3 rom’s sooooo 4 IS the absolute minimum size for this guide.

Classes are for speed. Below 4 is YUK! & I found 10 to be too fast for the NT but should still work. 6 is optimal and I used a 4 and it works like a champ.
(On the card itself it will have a C with a number in it, that’s where to find the class).

Set up a new folder on your desktop and name it what ever you want to save all your downloads to.

TOOS NEEDED

Go ahead and unzip/extract or run or install, and follow prompts. If they do not auto install go head and find the “set up” in the unzipped contents and set up following their prompts.

Some of this you may already have these tools, but after reading a lot and having to jump from thread to thread because some guides don’t include everything I am providing it all start to finish.

1. Put Your SD card in the adapter and then into your Windows PC and TAKE NOTE of the DRIVE LETTER IT IS ASSIGNED

2. Open the SDFormatter, select yes on any permissions, MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT DRIVE FOR YOUR SD CARD. It will be the same drive letter you noted in step 1.

3. Choose FORMAT TYPE (FULL ERASE) from the drop down and click ok. Then OK again when its done. Close the SDFormatter.

5. You should see A disk at the top, THIS IS YOUR PC DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THIS DISK...EVER...There may be others depending on what you have on your PC.
Look in the lower portion for the disk that has the DRIVE LETTER you made a note of in step 1. This is you SD card so it should have about the same capacity as what your using (4gb SD=3.69 one mine) . Click on that disk. (mine says Disk 2) click it.

7. Below the disk where you last clicked you will either see your drive letter or a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane.
Beside FILE SYSTEM select FAT32 from the drop down. On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 550Mb
Now RIGHT click on that partition that says (your drive letter) :boot and go to modify and click on ACTIVE and then CLICK the BLUE APPLY check mark again, then yes, then ok.

9. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick Primary from the drop down.
Beside FILE SYSTEM select ET4 from the drop down. On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 350mb

( These are for the rom’s the names are not important & you can name them or put the rom’s in any order you choose. I chose for you just to simplify and keep track of where you are)

10. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick Primary from the drop down.
Click OK,

11. . Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
Click OK,

12. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
Click OK,

13. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
Click OK,

14. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down.
Click OK,
Then look for the big BLUE checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done.

14. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down. Beside FILE SYSTEM select FAT32 from the drop down. Then look for the big BLUE checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done.

(NOTE: It may appear to hang here, DON’T get impatient now…Wait it out, it will finish)

Card is ready, Now get some rom’s downloaded and take a breath and chill for a minute.

Grab CM7 rom from this link (great rom) ..roms's link says Download HERE MD5 95043b08484aa218ccf93b5ef4785825

ICS rom here…

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1534192ICS Gapps here…http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Get the rom’s ready…
this gets a little tricky so follow closely, It may get crowded on your screen J

1. UNZIP ONLY the SD Boot folder to here. DO NOT UNZIP or EXTRACT ANY ROM”S OR GAAPS

2. Right click the CM7 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

3. ON THE CM7 rom, Open the SYSTEM FOLDER, open the etc folder, Scroll to the bottom and look for Vold.fstab

4. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM7_Gingerbread, open 3_os.

5. click and drag the vold.fstab file to the place where you saw the vold.fstab in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

6. Right click the CM9 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

7. ON THE CM9 rom, Open the SYSTEM FOLDER, open the etc folder, Scroll to the bottom and look for Vold.fstab

8. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM9_ice_cream, open 3_os.

9. click and drag the vold.fstab file to the place where you saw the vold.fstab in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

10. Right click the CM10 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

11. ON THE CM10 rom, Open the SYSTEM FOLDER, open the etc folder, Scroll to the bottom and look for Vold.fstab
12. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM10_Jelly_bean open 3_os.

13. click and drag the vold.fstab file to the place where you saw the vold.fstab in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

1. Right click the CM7 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

2. ON THE CM7 rom, Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script
3. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM7_Gingerbread, open p2, openrom,

4. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.

5. Right click the CM9 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

6. ON THE CM9 rom, Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

7. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM9_ice_cream, open p5, open rom,

8. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in the OPEND BUT NOT EXTRACTED rom and replace it.
9. Right click the CM10 rom that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT Or UNZIP

10. ON THE CM10 rom, Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

11. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM10_Jelly_Bean, open p7, open rom,

Gapps,

1. Right click the gapps-gb20121108...zip that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

2. ON THE gapps-gb20121108...zip , Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

3. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM7_Gingerbread, open p2, open gapps,

4. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in

5. Right click the gapps-ics20120429...zip that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

6. ON THE gapps-gb20121108...zip , Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

7. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM9_ice_cream, open p5, open gapps,

8. click and drag the updater-script file to the place where you saw the updater-script in

9. Right click the gapps-jb_20121011...zip that you just downloaded and OPEN..DO NOT EXTRACT or UNZIP

10. ON THE gapps-jb_20121011...zip , Open the , META_INF Folder, open the com folder, open the google folder. Open the android folder. look for updater-script.

11. Go back to the SD_Boot folder that you extracted open SD_Boot, open SD_Boot, open CM10_Jelly_bean, open p7, open gapps,

Go to Start on your PC click computer or my computer, See the device labeled BOOT and your SD drive letter? Good, If not find it. But don’t open it.

1. Open the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, You will see your 3 rom folders and some files below,

2. Drag the flashing_boot, the MILO, the recovery and the u-boot.bin files to the root of your SD card,

3. Now back on the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, Open CM7_gingerbread, open p2, drag the boot file at the bottom to the root of your SD card,

4. Now back on the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, Open CM9_Ice_cream, open p5, drag the altboot file at the bottom to the root of your SD card,

5. Now back on the SD_Boot folder you extracted again, Open CM10_Jelly_Bean, open p7, drag the altboot1 file at the bottom to the root of your SD card,

(that is what you saw under my computer as the un opened device labeled boot. And make sure you don‘ drag the zipped SD_Boot with them)

Ready to fire it up?

3. You should se the nook “n” followed by the cyanoboot logo, as soon as the “n” disappears and you see the cyanoboot hold the hard “n” button on the bottom center of the NT until the boot menu loads.

4. Use the volume keys to Select OPPTION 4 SDC RECOVERY and hit the hard “n” button. (in the event you get two white androids and don’t boot into recovery wait a little longer,If it doesn't boot in 5 minutes power off and power back on.) ( If that fails power off remove card, put it back and try again,,,If that doesn’t work, Well I think you may have missed a step somewhere so start over :mad:

8. Wait for it to install then “choose zip from sdcard” again choose GB gapps hit ‘n” button.
10. Wait for it to install then “choose zip from sdcard” again choose ICS gapps hit ‘n” button
11. Select “choose zip from sdcard” hit ‘n” button Select CM10 Rom hit ‘n” button
12. Wait for it to install then “choose zip from sdcard” again choose JB gapps hit ‘n” button

HOLD YOUR BREATH, CROSS YOUR FINGERS, STAND ON ONE FOOT AND hit bower button, use volume keys to select POWER OFF. Just kiddin, if you made it this far you should be golden, just power off the NT by selecting it from the menu, take a deep breath and power back on. WAIT.. It may take a few minutes,

You should se the nook “n” followed by the cyanoboot logo, as soon as the “n” disappears and you see the cyanoboot hold the hard “n” button on the bottom center of the NT until the boot menu loads. Choose

Option 5 = ICS
Option 7 = JB

NOTE:
Be patient on first boot’s they can take a while to load for the first time. I did encounter an issue on a build once where 0ne of the rom’s did not load properly and wouldn’t boot. I powered off entered boot menu selected option 4 and re installed that rom and whalla.. so don't be affraid to reinstall if need be,

You now have a triple threat SD card… Please remember if you didn’t along the way to re visit used links and thank or donate to the devs. If you liked this guide feel free to toss a little my way too, :good:

If you decide you like long guides and want a full root CM7 or CM 10 see my other guide here…

ENJOY

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
Sure

Thanks for taking the time to put this primer together. It was VERY helpful and easier to follow than others available.

However - I think I misread this to be an SD based solution (not a full Rooting) but it appears I may have rooted my 8GB Nook Tablet in the process.

If that is the case, is there away to get it back to factory ROM????

Sorry - A nook Newbie :(

If you haven't done this already, not knowing what happened I would follow Cubanluke88's advise and search XDA for a guide to restore NT. There are a lot of guides if you search restore nook tablet to 1.4.3 and they are very easy to follow. Sorry you had an issue and good luck.

ajbiz11

May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
What if I only want to run CM10 from my sd card on my Nook tablet? I'm currently using this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957 for my nook color with CM10. Would this also work for the Nook Tablet with different sd image and ROM. Gapps would be the same I think.

I would have to look at the scripts, but either, only make the CM10 partitions on your SD and only fallow the JB instructions

Or

Fallow all instructions, only flash JB and delete the other partitions and boot files, except he "BOOT" partition and resize the jb data partition to fill the SD

Meh, I just flash to internal, but this could be nice for keeping around CM7 and 9 while i try out 10.1

Or a ad card for use while I dev out a new version of Ubuntu...hopefully

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
What if I only want to run CM10 from my sd card on my Nook tablet? I'm currently using this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957 for my nook color with CM10. Would this also work for the Nook Tablet with different sd image and ROM. Gapps would be the same I think.

I think I may have read simpler methods for just a single boot SD, (I'm trying to remember where) But you should be able to follow these steps all the way to the end of the CM7 partitions (remember I just named them that so just set up which ever rom you choose for this partition) then format the rest as FAT32 as in the last step.

idivorceyou

Mar 24, 2011
jb rom updater-script copy fail

I get to step:

but every time I try to drag the updater-script into the cm-10-20121108-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip as instructed, I get an error message
(see attached):
can't paste, copy, drag & drop. tried a million times.
anything??

thank you.
-------

figured it out - once I opened the files in winrar, the drag and drop was fine.

Last edited:

idivorceyou

Mar 24, 2011
@ divorce - it says duplicate file, so try deleting.the file first in /system /etc then drop the file in .zip

Hit Thanks if I helped you!

I hit thanks, but it didn't help! I tried that.
whatever, I'll try double booting off the triple threat card. cm7 and cm9 will do for now.
---
update
what a mess. hours of work and nothing
I just want to EASILY create a sd card that my nook can boot to wth CM-7!
I successfully rooted. at least that is out of the way.

Last edited:

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
I get to step:

but every time I try to drag the updater-script into the cm-10-20121108-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip as instructed, I get an error message
(see attached):
can't paste, copy, drag & drop. tried a million times.
anything??

thank you.
If it still wouldn't after you deleted, that is a mystery, I tried to recreate your error but it would let me drag & drop every time, Might try re downloading the rom itself and trying on a fresh one???

blackmo0n

Jan 9, 2008
Thanks for the guide. I don't know what I did wrong but cm7 loads fine but I can't get cm9 or cm10 to load. I get white bots and after 10 mins they are still there. I tried reinstalling and got the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

digichris

Jan 7, 2012
Outer Space
Thanks for the guide! I'm able to boot-up CM-7 and CM-9, but CM-10 just hangs on a black screen. I tried to reinstall, same thing. I also double-checked and double-modified the CM-10 zip and jb gapps, re-copied altboot1.img, reinstalled them again, same thing. I'm using a 32gb Sandisk Class 4 card on a NT 16gb. Also, my options for boot are:

Option 4 - SDC recovery
Option 5 - CM-7 (Boot)
Option 6 - CM-9 (Altboot)
Option 7 - CM-10(? 'Altboot1')

Any ideas? :confused:

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for the guide! I'm able to boot-up CM-7 and CM-9, but CM-10 just hangs on a black screen. I tried to reinstall, same thing. I also double-checked and double-modified the CM-10 zip and jb gapps, re-copied altboot1.img, reinstalled them again, same thing. I'm using a 32gb Sandisk Class 4 card on a NT 16gb. Also, my options for boot are:

Option 4 - SDC recovery
Option 5 - CM-7 (Boot)
Option 6 - CM-9 (Altboot)
Option 7 - CM-10(? 'Altboot1')

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks for the guide. I don't know what I did wrong but cm7 loads fine but I can't get cm9 or cm10 to load. I get white bots and after 10 mins they are still there. I tried reinstalling and got the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I ran into this only once on an alternate CM10 rom but have not on the ones listed, without being able to see what your doing makes it tough to see what step is hanging you up. For both the CM9 & CM10 issues, I would

1st try to completly power down eject SD and remount and reboot.
2. If that doesn't do anything reboot again and go to SDC recovery do full wipes again and see if they boot after that. If still no joy,
3. If that doesn't do anything reboot again and go to SDC recovery do full wipes again re flash the rom thats not booting and see if they boot after that.

If that is a fail, It could be any one simple thing, re read the steps and verify the partitions were set up correctly making sure there formatted correctly (ext4, fat32, primary ect,,,) Your boot, altboot & altboot1 and in the right spots,) Sorry to say if it still doesn't work I would start over with fresh DL of rom's & gapps. Sucks but round 2 will go quicker now that you have done it once. I realize that's not much help but there havn't been any reported issues for me to identify a "magic bullet" where common problems occur. If any of this works or you see what went wrong on the second attemt please let us know what you found s it might benifit others.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackmo0n

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have tested this on an 8gb Nook Tablet with 1.4.3 and it worked just fine although my wife is currently rockin a nook using CM10 flashed to enternal so I did not explore all the rom’s but from what I read they are stable and are pretty awesome. You may be able to choose others, so read what others are saying or try it after your comfortable using this process and report back. Be sure when you visit the links for the rom’s to thank the devs and all involved for their hard work. I am sure as much time as they put in would appreciate a donation too if you can.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

TOOS NEEDED

Click OK,

Click OK,

Click OK,

Click OK,

Click OK,

15. Below that partition you will see a symbol like *: and it will be unallocated, CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane. Beside CREATE AS choose and pick LOGICAL from the drop down. Beside FILE SYSTEM select FAT32 from the drop down. Then look for the big BLUE checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done.

ICS rom here…

Get the rom’s ready…

Gapps,

Ready to fire it up?

Option 5 = ICS
    Option 7 = JB

NOTE:

If you decide you like long guides and want a to flash CM7 or CM10 to enternal emmc see my other guide here…

ENJOY

My sincerest apologies, I tried to provide actual links to everything used and give credit to everyone, as well as encourage donations to all you developers. My goal was only to provide a very detailed “how to” mentioning every step. I see a lot of very similar guides that leave out the little things that a noob like me gets stuck on. In the opening I stated that I do not invent or build any of this and it truly was not my intent on to offend anyone. If the moderator asks me to delete or amend anything on here I will of course comply. I have nothing but the greatest admiration and read in awe of all the great things that everyone does for each other on XDA.
    Really unnecessary to quote the OP like that :/

I suggest posting in Q&A if you haven't already with regards to returning to stock.
    @ divorce - it says duplicate file, so try deleting.the file first in /system /etc then drop the file in .zip

Hit Thanks if I helped you!