Who actually likes their nexus 10

Search This thread

syraz

Jul 14, 2010
Portland
Love mine, first real tablet, I have a nook color running jelly bean *which runs pretty decent on it* but wanted something bigger for multimedia viewing while at work.
Build quality so far so good, speakers work great, the screen looks awesome. Really no complaints so far. Waiting for my case and micro usb to usb adaptor so I can run emulators on it with controller..all in all worth it. Went to only staples here in Portland that had it to get it..Still yet to unlock or root it, not finding the need at the moment.but the lack of modding the nav bar is starting to get to me.

nissmo66

Dec 8, 2012
I absolutely love mine, my only real compliant is the lack of accessories from Google/Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

traveye

Sep 24, 2011
what do you guys mainly use you N10 for? I've had the original galaxy tab for forever, and i'm considering the N10, but I'm not sure I've used my tab enough to justify the cost of a new one. I'm mainly using my Galaxy Tab for a remote for my HTPC/XBOX/Smart TV. And reading magazines. What do you guys think?

permutations

May 27, 2008
New York City
I love my Nexus 10. I was nervous buying it because of the mixed reviews, but I have absolutely no light bleed (and I looked carefully), the WiFi is strong (I've read complaints about that, too), and it's rock solid (no reboots or crashes like some have reported). I returned an Asus TF700T to buy this. The TF700 was unstable and crashed constantly - especially the browser, which I use heavily. I drove me nuts. I'm a heavy user. I like apps and I like to have a lot of things going at once. The Nexus is super-fast, has a lovely 2GB of memory, and it doesn't crash, The speakers are front-facing and good quality for a tablet. And the screen is just amazing - the resolution is so good it doesn't even look like a screen. Plus it's lightweight - a little lighter than the TF700 and the iPad 4.

DaLuigi3

Sep 1, 2011
i love it too!!! It is a very good tablet.:laugh:
Only thing i hate is that you can't stream/buffer while screen off or surfing or doing something other, but this is a software thing not nexus problem.
hope it will be changed in near future because not all people have a super fast internet connection:crying:

greetz

fathomx9

Aug 31, 2010
I'm loving this thing so far! I rooted it as soon as I got it and put AOKP on it. I've also put the new XAF XBMC build on it with the re-touched skin, works great! I'll be trying to set up some emulators this week.

I was extremely nervous to buy because of so many posts about light bleed but went ahead anyway, and I'm glad I did.

vtracer20

Aug 15, 2011
Odp: Who actually likes their nexus 10

I nad my brother purchase mine stateside AS i live in Poland. I personally like the device, granted its a detuned Galaxy tab 2 for the price ITS a great buty. Not to mention you have the latest updates from google.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

remixedition

Oct 3, 2010
I have had my nexus 10 for about a month and just started having random crashes, maybe 3 so far. I love my tablet but are the crashes more of a concern than I believe?

iamikon

May 17, 2012
I love mine. Especially with a bluetooth keyboard. The colors arent a problem with mine but a couple custom kernels are working on this. Specifically ktmanta. The reboots were part of 4.2.1 so updating to 4.2.2 should be a priority and resolve this.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

rp3

Mar 26, 2010
I like mine. Bought second hand. I'm sure there's light bleed... but I don't use the tablet in pitch black so I haven't noticed. The screen is bright when reading PDFs (which I do alot of) and playing games. I find it to be fast. Games are smooth and 2D animation is butter. I have unlocked the bootloader and installed a custom rom and kernel with no issue. I like that many of the developers I've trusted over the years with my phones and tablets now have this tablet. This is important as every time I flash a rom or mod I am entrusting a $200-700 piece of electronics to the developer's skill.

I like the battery life but don't like the charging speed (5-6 hours from dead to full charge). I like how fast the tablet is... the other electronics in the house are my LG Optimus G and my wife's IPad 4/IPhone 5 combination and there's no weak-link feeling. I haven't taken a picture with the tablet. Video conferencing is fine though my wife says there's alot of background noise relative to my PC (which does noise reduction). 32GB is less than 80GB so no leaving 20 2gb games installed... that's where titanium and the cloud come into play. The speakers are good... though my having just owned the Kindle Fire 8.9 and Note 10.1 has me spoiled in tablet speaker quality. I like the weight... it's about the same as Infinity and Note 10.1.

I like the feel of the tablet with the soft-touch plastics. I hope Samsung takes the design language from this and it inspires the Tab 3 bodies as the Note 10.1's flex is a stain on Samsung's reputation (I bought the note discounting the androidpolice review and put it back on ebay within 48 hours). I'll go further and say I hope somebody makes a thin high end phone with a grippy soft-touch plastic back that feels as solid as the Nexus.

Wish they had the official cover available. I use a Moko Ultra-slim which is very good with a slim profile.

Very few pieces of electronics are perfect... but in the pre-2013 MWC world... the Nexus 10 is great in it's strengths and is without any fatal flaws.

Reactions: LoVeRice

Zhohner

Nov 3, 2010
Sydney
I'm extremely happy with my Nexus 10. It does all the things I want/need it to do, whether it be university work, gaming or general productivity. It's fast, feels good in the hand and has a gorgeous screen. Definitely one of my better buys this year. :D

planet_x69

Jul 7, 2011
32GB model from wally world....no issues, if there is light bleed i either dont notice or just dont care since most of the time 99% of the time there are images on the screen you would never notice it in any case.

Battery is just fine and lasts plenty long even heavy use.

Work of caution is widgets! Widgets are your enemy, be sure to watch and see what's sucking your battery (settings, battery) many an innocuous widget has ruined a tablet/phone users experience by being a power leach. (beautiful widget 6x1 weather, clock forecast comes to mind!) Sure they look good, but without a true dock that will charge while screen is on, you have to be careful.

Love the device and prefer it over the ipad and xoom i also own. Rooted and custom recovery installed - to allow backups and adfree to run. Otherwise stock OS and I've never had any issues.

vawlk

Mar 10, 2009
I'm on the hunt for a nexus 10 at a local staples - the majority of posts I see in here are people *****ing about performance issues and light bleed or other build quality problems. Meanwhile I do see posts about people absolutely in love with the N10 (rightfully so)

The light bleed thread seems like a nightmare - although people who RMA a device 6 times should really get a life and move on to a different product. Is the light bleed really a major issue or should I go ahead and buy one?

Sorry for the junk thread but I didn't see very many threads in here where people are actually giving credit to the N10 and singing praises. hard to guage the "fringe" vs "the average person's experience"

Love the 10. Yes mine has a bit of light bleed but I don't really notice it when there is something on the screen. I'm just not that picky.

People rarely complain when they like something.

Cintra2

Nov 13, 2009
Nærsnes
Happy with my Nexus 10, but..

Two things spoil my feelings for the Nexus 10 a touch.

The day after I first started using the device I woke to a dead device. Could have sworn it was switched off, but even so the battery was lifeless. Scary!

The other thing I discovered yesterday - there are no CPU temperature sensors.

Not only did this surprise me, (my three other Android devices have them) but I was surprised by the lack of search results pointing this out. This thread has one of the results :)

There are a few issues with text size on some of the apps I use, but they will be sorted out in time I feel sure.

All in all a great device, well worth the money.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
...The other thing I discovered yesterday - there are no CPU temperature sensors.

Not only did this surprise me, (my three other Android devices have them) but I was surprised by the lack of search results pointing this out. This thread has one of the results :)
There was a huge conversation about it on I think KTManta's kernel thread. When trying to figure out what to do to handle the thermal throttling (in the past, you couldn't even stay at 1.7GHz long, and it would throttle agressively downward to even 700Mhz, along with GPU and memory frequencies, causing stuff like games to slideshow) a user discovered that the CPU temperature may be linked to the battery temp (I believe someone else got a thermal image that showed the CPU and battery having similar temps).

I believe it was also said that CPU temps are based on an algorithm involving CPU load, time at load, frequency, voltages, and maybe some other stuff. But no, there is no actual sensor, which is really strange...

4.2.2 fixes the throttling a good bit though, which is nice. Custom kernels also handle thermal throttling in decent ways too.

Reactions: Cintra2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have to admit I"m only on day 2 of ownership so that may skew some things, but I absolutely adore mine. Its fast, the screen is amazing, and the build quality is quite good. Its easily the best tablet I've ever owned in every single category except battery life, and even there its not bad at all.

Do I have light bleed? Yes. However, I've gone through absolute hell with warranty repairs trying to get my previous HP Touchpad's light bleed fixed which eventually resulted in them cracking the screen and my successfully suing them in small claims court (For the crack which they claimed was my fault and warranty voiding, not the light bleed). Following that, I went through four Transformer Infinities, of which three had light bleed. Its just a defect common in IPS/PLS displays, through the three tablets I've owned (all of different manufactures) I've learned its completely unrealistic to expect a perfect one. If its not an absolutely horrible amount, live with it. If you cant, get an iPad or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the creaking back plastic? Yes. Every tablet made of plastic is going to have some problems. The speakers on the touchpad are notorious for cracking spontaneously. The Note 10.1 is so thin you can actually see it flex. With devices this big made of plastic, its unrealistic to not expect some sort of cheap feel. The Nexus 10 has it pretty good compared to some of the other tablets, so live with it if you can. If you cant, get a metal tablet or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the thermal throttling? I dont know yet. But realize you're running a 1.7Ghz processor in something slightly thicker than a ball point pen. Look in ANY desktop or laptop computer of equivalent speed (yes, I know x86 and ARM are not directly comparable, but go with it for this) and you'll find a massive heatsink and fan. The Nexus 10 does not have a fan because nobody would buy a tablet with such, and the heatsink is quite thin to keep the dimensions down. You still have one of the fastest tablets on the market. Think of the 1.7Ghz not as a top sustainable speed, but like the "Turboboost" mode on modern Intel i3/5/7 CPUs where it'll ramp up to that speed to complete a task as quickly as possible and then dial back to something more easily sustainable. I'll admit that Google should add something to Android where if it knows a game is running it limits its top speed to prevent this very throttling, but that's on Android and not the device itself. Throttle the CPU back yourself, live with it, or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

TL;DR: This is a good tablet computer. Like all tablet computers, or like anything really, you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.
    Rma the wife?
    :)

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I really never understood this. What kept the iPad from being a laptop replacement that the Nexus 10 somehow fills? The custimization? The iPad performs better and has more tablet optimized apps. Its not like either truly multitask.

I honestly never believe a tablet replaces a laptop. Even when I had my iPad (which I really shouldn't have sold for this to be honest) it was just an in between device I used for class to take notes on.

I can understand what he's saying perfectly. Things I can do on my N10 I couldn't do on my ipad:

Download something from the internet.
    Assuming I got some crappy download app from the ios app store: Actually DO anything with the download once I have it.
    Plug the device in, copy some stuff onto it without using itunes and converting it to the correct format first. Maybe copy a .doc or PDF even! :eek:
    Torrents
    Emulators
    Flash on the internet
    Share a file between two applications.
    Save an email attachment.

With a little perseverance, there is very little I can't do on my N10 than I can on my laptop.

Also, Android DOES support full-on multitasking. IOS doesn't.
    Best tablet I've ever used. Screen quality is astounding, everything about it as as smooth as butter, web browsing with Ocean works like a dream, gaming on it is great, no lightbleed, and it's been stable as a rock. I literally couldn't be any happier with this tablet.
    Is there any conclusive evidence that this is the case in every Nexus 10 out there and not just in people running a custom kernel?

For the record, I can play NFS:MW for hours without a single frame drop, stock.

Running StabilityTest (ROOT optional) for a while (CPU + GPU Test) should show current CPU frequency, and then after a while, show the frequency drop in increments of 100MHz.

There "is" a way to show if the CPU is throttling or not from logcat I believe, I haven't actually noticed though.

On stock (for me anyway, and a few others have also reported this) NFS:MW will play fine, and then framerate will drop, and then go back to normal. I have no idea how to really "prove" FPS values though, other then using a 60FPS camcorder to record a race on your N10, and then judge by eye manually.