What is Remote Sim Mode?

Search This thread

mikewong27

Mar 20, 2008
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows what "Remote Sim Mode" is on Captivate? I recently upgraded to Froyo from android 2.1. I noticed that whenever I turn on my "bluetooth" on my Captivate, the bluetooth icon will show up. If I push the "bluetooth" button again, a message will show up saying that "Remote Sim Mode Activated". I never seen this message on android 2.1.

DJNgoma

Apr 6, 2010
Johannesburg
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SEARCHING FOR REMOTE SIM MODE, THERE WASN'T A CLEAR SEARCH TERM BUT BROKE IT DOWN INTO SMALLER TERMS IN GOOGLE BEING "REMOTE SIM BLUETOOTH".

RESULT:

SIM Access Profile (SAP, SIM, rSAP)
This allows devices such as car phones with built in GSM transceivers to connect to a SIM card in a phone with Bluetooth, thus the car phone itself doesn't require a separate SIM card. This profile is also known as rSAP (remote-SIM-Access-Profile).

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#SIM_Access_Profile_.28SAP.2C_SIM.2C_rSAP.29

HOPEFULLY IT HELPS EVERYBODY ;)

*INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY

Reactions: romangs

boe_dye

Jul 2, 2007
America

Saying "Google is your friend" is a failed attempt at saying "I Don't Know".

So please instead of acting like some prissy tech know it all, why not actually contribute something useful to the conversation instead of getting your jollies off by being a smart ass?

I mean not all of us are some lonely geek sitting in their parents basement getting off on some image board, spouting off memes like they are gospel...

It's people like you that make tech forums like this unbearable when it comes to the sharing of knowledge and information. At the very least if you were so wise and sage, you could have posted a link supplying the answer.

But no, you couldn't even take the time out of your busy trolling to even do that. You have to be all cute and cool and go "Google is your friend".

Yes, Google is our friend, it brought us to this place and met idiots such as yourself. Google is an infinitely better friend than you could ever hope to be.

Reactions: RanMN

Brynn85

Sep 23, 2010

So please instead of acting like some prissy tech know it all, why not actually contribute something useful to the conversation instead of getting your jollies off by being a smart ass?

I mean not all of us are some lonely geek sitting in their parents basement getting off on some image board, spouting off memes like they are gospel...

It's people like you that make tech forums like this unbearable when it comes to the sharing of knowledge and information. At the very least if you were so wise and sage, you could have posted a link supplying the answer.

But no, you couldn't even take the time out of your busy trolling to even do that. You have to be all cute and cool and go "Google is your friend".

Yes, Google is our friend, it brought us to this place and met idiots such as yourself. Google is an infinitely better friend than you could ever hope to be.

Ouch, haha. A bit harsh maybe, but well said. :p

I also had less-than-stellar luck when googling "remote sim mode" when my phone decided to put itself there. Soooo don't hate on us just cause we come here hoping for a little bit more clearly stated answers. :-/

boe_dye

Jul 2, 2007
America

It just really irks me because these forums exist for a reason. Yes, I will agree that most people don't take the time to look through the forums. But on the other hand, looking through hundreds of posts can be a bit daunting at times too especially if your a noob which can get discouraging.

It's a forum, not IRC. Instead of cluttering it up with nonsense and bickering... just give the answer or shut up...

Now... with that being said, this is what I have discovered: The Bluetooth remote sim mode has something to do with connecting to your cars Bluetooth receiver so that you can make phone calls from your car to your phone.

Why it automatically comes on after you turn off the Bluetooth radio via the drop down menu is beyond me.

So you open up the drop down menu and you push the module and it comes up with "Deactivate Remote SIM mode?" dialogue box.

Click Yes it ideally turns it off. Click No it cancels out of the dialogue box. Clicking yes however... doesn't seem to do anything anyways which is the problem we all seem to be running into.

So what do we do? Well we can reset our phones. Cognition v2.2Beta8 has a nice little reset option when you long hold down the lock button on the side.

Of course this gets kinda annoying every single time.

All is not lost though. What you can do is this: Go into Settings>Wireless and Network>Bluetooth settings and turn on/off Bluetooth from there.

If Bluetooth is off, you can just turn it on from the drop down menu. However if it is on and you want it off, I would suggest turning it off from the settings menu.

When you uncheck the green checkmark that says "Bluetooth", three things are going to happen. One, your going to turn off the Bluetooth Radio. Two, in the status bar there is going to be a message saying "Remote Sim Mode Activated". Three, and this is what we are trying to accomplish, a small dialogue box is going to pop up on the bottom saying "Remote Sim Mode Deactivated". This is essentially what we want to happen.

I don't know why it works this way. However I have noticed that there are a few quirks in the drop down menu from time to time. Perhaps this is just one of the more prevalent ones.

I hope this helped a bit. I'm not a developer or a programmer, just a modder who likes tweaking and likes to learn from the devs who take a lot of time and effort in to making our devices work better. I also hope that you don't mistake the inconsiderate, idiotic reply of "cappysw10" as the general attitude of people who post on this forum.

Most of the people here are pretty cool and are more than willing to help out :)

Good Luck and happy modding :)

klloyd

Jul 29, 2010
I agree, these forums are getting hard to ask and get answers in withlut smart butt comments and flaming. Even when posted in the right place! Its getting out of control. : ( I dont post often, but read ALL the time. Some of us need REAL help. I actualy did Google this very remote sim trouble, found NO good help. Went back to stock. Waiting a real fix.

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
I am reaaly not sure what remote similar implies is going on but if I turn my Bluetooth back on and the back off it deactivates

Captivate
Cog 2.2

millman

Feb 13, 2008

Now... with that being said, this is what I have discovered: The Bluetooth remote sim mode has something to do with connecting to your cars Bluetooth receiver so that you can make phone calls from your car to your phone.

Why it automatically comes on after you turn off the Bluetooth radio via the drop down menu is beyond me.

So you open up the drop down menu and you push the module and it comes up with "Deactivate Remote SIM mode?" dialogue box.

Click Yes it ideally turns it off. Click No it cancels out of the dialogue box. Clicking yes however... doesn't seem to do anything anyways which is the problem we all seem to be running into.

So what do we do? Well we can reset our phones. Cognition v2.2Beta8 has a nice little reset option when you long hold down the lock button on the side.

Of course this gets kinda annoying every single time.

All is not lost though. What you can do is this: Go into Settings>Wireless and Network>Bluetooth settings and turn on/off Bluetooth from there.

If Bluetooth is off, you can just turn it on from the drop down menu. However if it is on and you want it off, I would suggest turning it off from the settings menu.

When you uncheck the green checkmark that says "Bluetooth", three things are going to happen. One, your going to turn off the Bluetooth Radio. Two, in the status bar there is going to be a message saying "Remote Sim Mode Activated". Three, and this is what we are trying to accomplish, a small dialogue box is going to pop up on the bottom saying "Remote Sim Mode Deactivated". This is essentially what we want to happen.

I don't know why it works this way. However I have noticed that there are a few quirks in the drop down menu from time to time. Perhaps this is just one of the more prevalent ones.

I hope this helped a bit. I'm not a developer or a programmer, just a modder who likes tweaking and likes to learn from the devs who take a lot of time and effort in to making our devices work better. I also hope that you don't mistake the inconsiderate, idiotic reply of "cappysw10" as the general attitude of people who post on this forum.

Most of the people here are pretty cool and are more than willing to help out :)

Good Luck and happy modding :)

Hey thanks! Googled remote sim first thing, found out what it was and that it doesn't apply to me. Came to this forum to find an answer and YOU PROVIDED ONE YAY! Not necessarily happy with how the drop-down reacts but knowing how to avoid that annoying message is VERY USEFUL! And I only had to wade through a few message to find your answer! DOUBLE YAY!!
:)

boe_dye

Jul 2, 2007
America
hey all thanks for the thanks! I'm glad that I was able to help a bit with a few observations.

Just a few more before I go, It would seem to me that the entire notifications drop down menu is buggy.

For me, none of the buttons work as they should whether it be WiFi, bluetooth, etc...

Just about all of those functions have to be set in the settings dialogue that I mentioned about before.

I haven't update Cognition in a month now, so he might have gotten to fixing it by now, I cannot say.

Reactions: md_aliullah

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC

Thank you. Best one-liner in a while. I also agree that if a question is asked and your response isn't toward answering the question it's fruitless.

Either answer or don't. I respect either but the taking up of space that doesn't contribute to the solution is useless.

(Much like my response. ;) )

stevebic83

Oct 18, 2010
Hope this helps

Idk what causes this or why or how to fix it, BUT if you just turn the bluetooth back on and then off again it deactivates the remote sim. You don't have to do it through the settings, you can use the drop down menu or if u have the control panel widget you can use that. Just on and then off again. Hopefully this will get fix cuz it is annoying to have to push the button two extra times.

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
This actually pissed me off a little, and I appreciate other people's responses.

You know how I found this thread? By googling "What is remote sim mode"

troll successful, hope you feel good.

And you made your first post now to tell us this? We had all moved on past that already and gotten the information we wanted, why revive a dead thread?

gdmuscle

Nov 2, 2010
Remote Sim Mode

I guess no one actually found out what this is. Just a question did you have your bluetooth connected to your cars bluetooth handsfree? I know I have a handsfree in my car built in, from what I've read on wikipedia it has something to do with the car having a remote connection through the sim card in the phone. Maybe if your phone has the bluetooth on it still has a paired setting for your car and turning it off calls up this remote sim mode thing to show up. I don't know but I believe this is what causes this. When you turn it off and turn it back on it doesn't appear again after you turn the bluetooth back on. I've noticed this only if I connect with the car and turn the bluetooth off on the phone.

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
I guess no one actually found out what this is. Just a question did you have your bluetooth connected to your cars bluetooth handsfree? I know I have a handsfree in my car built in, from what I've read on wikipedia it has something to do with the car having a remote connection through the sim card in the phone. Maybe if your phone has the bluetooth on it still has a paired setting for your car and turning it off calls up this remote sim mode thing to show up. I don't know but I believe this is what causes this. When you turn it off and turn it back on it doesn't appear again after you turn the bluetooth back on. I've noticed this only if I connect with the car and turn the bluetooth off on the phone.

Did you not read the thread? It was answered in post #8.

Also it doesn't matter if the phone is synced to your cars handsfree or not. My phone does it when its connected to my car, not connected to my car, sending a file over Bluetooth, really anytime I toggle BT on and off. Its impartial to the situation in which Bluetooth is activated.

Sent from my Captivate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i Googled "android remote sim mode" and it brought me to this thread.

Thanks for your contribution.
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SEARCHING FOR REMOTE SIM MODE, THERE WASN'T A CLEAR SEARCH TERM BUT BROKE IT DOWN INTO SMALLER TERMS IN GOOGLE BEING "REMOTE SIM BLUETOOTH".

RESULT:

SIM Access Profile (SAP, SIM, rSAP)
    This allows devices such as car phones with built in GSM transceivers to connect to a SIM card in a phone with Bluetooth, thus the car phone itself doesn't require a separate SIM card. This profile is also known as rSAP (remote-SIM-Access-Profile).

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#SIM_Access_Profile_.28SAP.2C_SIM.2C_rSAP.29

HOPEFULLY IT HELPS EVERYBODY ;)

*INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY

hey all thanks for the thanks! I'm glad that I was able to help a bit with a few observations.

Just a few more before I go, It would seem to me that the entire notifications drop down menu is buggy.

For me, none of the buttons work as they should whether it be WiFi, bluetooth, etc...

Just about all of those functions have to be set in the settings dialogue that I mentioned about before.

I haven't update Cognition in a month now, so he might have gotten to fixing it by now, I cannot say.
    well i googled several years later wondering the same thing and it all comes back to this thread :) lol