[App] PermissionDog

Search This thread

weakwire

Sep 11, 2010
Hi just made an app with my friend ventrix.
PermissionDog lists all the applications you have installed and checks out what permissions each app is using.
Based on these permissions it sets how dangerous the application can be.
PermissionDog also supports realtime protection. Every time you launch an application
a notification pops up and shows how many permissions the app is using
and how dangerous that application is. (in case you missed reading the permissions when you downloaded the app).
You can exclude any app from Real Time Protection (RTP) or disable the RTP service.
It's like a really lightweight antivirus.

Please note that the application is in Beta stage.Is fully functional and hopefully bug free but needs some tweeks.
Serius updates will come to the next few days!

Android Market Link

Rate if you like.

New Version Already UP Thank you all for your valuable reviews
Fixed two force close bugs.
Improved speed.
Fixed the uninstall app bug.

chart

Last edited:

weakwire

Sep 11, 2010
We are looking to make the app as good as it gets. If changing permissions to other apps is doable without rooted phone consider it done.

weakwire

Sep 11, 2010
yeah always do it with all my apps ,kinda starting the good karma. Tell me what you think about the app

Rico ANDROID

Mar 23, 2011
In my DELL Streak
Great. I think I will give it a try.

UPDATE: Just installed....very nice! I like how you can sort apps by permission danger. Additionally, I like how clicking on a secific permission will list all apps utilizing that particular permission. Of all apps installed I have two with the red dannnger. I was glad the two were the only apps with that permission level but now am assured that no others have it..

This app makes it easy to do quick analysis.

Last edited:

BitMaster

Dec 28, 2009
Love the idea of this app as soon as I saw it pop-up on my XDA Twitter feed. :)

Installed on my HTC Thunderbolt with the latest ROM (no root) but it was hanging and giving me a Force Close/Wait. I do have a lot of apps installed so I thought this might be an issue.

Rebooted my Thunderbolt and it finally loaded okay. Selected Sort by danger and getting another Force Close/Wait. Selected Wait and it finally sorted.

I really like the app and look forward to some tweaks that might resolve some of the delays for us "app hounds". :)

weakwire

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you for the post. We are aware of that issue and working on it. The problem is fetching application icons is too expensive some times. We working on making the "fetching" async. Plz wait for an update in the next few days

BitMaster

Dec 28, 2009
Awesome! I'll keep watching and will continue to provide feedback.

As a suggestion, is it possible/practical to add the standard rotating "clock" so a user will know it is working in the background?

Can't thank you guys enough for this app. Hope you also eventually have a "paid" version so those of us who want to support you and remove the ads can do so.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID

woonaval

Mar 3, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
I get a FC everytime I try to uninstall an app from PermissionDog. I have sent the "Report" three times, idk if it helps...
I have a Motorola Defy with CyanogenMod 7.

weakwire

Sep 11, 2010
You get fc instantly when you hit the button? Cause all it does is forward you to the system uninstall app

arii1986

Mar 30, 2011
Works great on Sgs II, glad I don't have any apps with a massive red triangle next to them :p great work guys

ventrix24

May 4, 2011
Athens
www.kospol.gr
Indeed, instant FC when hitting an uninstall button. The market link works and I can uninstall from there, so we have a workaround atm :p. (SGS with CM7)

It seems like cyanogen mod has problems with the "com.android.settings/com.android.settings.InstalledAppDetails" activity.

android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: Unable to find explicit activity class {com.android.settings/com.android.settings.InstalledAppDetails}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?

So, now we check if the uninstall activity exists and if not, we open the Android Market to uninstall it from there.

ventrix24

May 4, 2011
Athens
www.kospol.gr
Hello from me too.

It is always nice to get valuable feedback.

We are working on the bugs noticed here and probably today there will be the first update!

Well, everyone knows that sooner is better, so may want to update PermissionDog to version 0.1.1 =)

Check our facebook page too! https://www.facebook.com/pages/PermissionDog/120650961354098

Improved speed.

Last edited:

VinceT3

Jan 25, 2007
Works on stock Dell Streak 2.2.2

Very simplified method of seeing what has what access.

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I wonder about how you calculate the "Danger" level, because i have an app installed that is using only one permission (external_storage) and is rated 4.1. On the other side i have an app that is using four permissions (internet, external_storage, get_accounts, network_state) and that results in rating of 3.5?! I guess lower rating means less risk in using that app?

I would expect an app that uses more permissions to have a higher rating than an app with less permissions.;)

Btw, i could only start the app once, any further attempt to start it results in a fc (you got a report).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi just made an app with my friend ventrix.
    PermissionDog lists all the applications you have installed and checks out what permissions each app is using.
    Based on these permissions it sets how dangerous the application can be.
    PermissionDog also supports realtime protection. Every time you launch an application
    a notification pops up and shows how many permissions the app is using
    and how dangerous that application is. (in case you missed reading the permissions when you downloaded the app).
    You can exclude any app from Real Time Protection (RTP) or disable the RTP service.
    It's like a really lightweight antivirus.

Please note that the application is in Beta stage.Is fully functional and hopefully bug free but needs some tweeks.
    Serius updates will come to the next few days!

Android Market Link

Rate if you like.

New Version Already UP Thank you all for your valuable reviews
    Improved speed.

chart
    f-1-ab46ffcc94a4137e81e175147fec721099234cee

do you like our new promo graphic?
    Awesome! I'll keep watching and will continue to provide feedback.

As a suggestion, is it possible/practical to add the standard rotating "clock" so a user will know it is working in the background?

Can't thank you guys enough for this app. Hope you also eventually have a "paid" version so those of us who want to support you and remove the ads can do so.
    Looks interesting. Any plans to add the ability to disable/block permissions?

The latest CyanogenMod lets you do just that.
    http://androinica.com/2011/05/cyanogenmod-nightlies-secures-android/
    Thanks for this great app and for the QR code I went from learning about it on the XDA Portal to it's installed in >2 mins lol