Android Browser Bookmarks?

Search This thread

nickwinn

Jan 25, 2009
Denver, CO
Does anybody here know where the android browser bookmarks are stored on the file system? I'm hoping to keep a backup of my bookmarks so I don't need to go thru the hassle of entering all my favorite sites each time I have to wipe my phone!

thanks in advance

nickwinn

Jan 25, 2009
Denver, CO
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I'm not really familiar with sqlite, more of a mysql guy personally :)

The bookmarks table holds the browser history as well. :eek:

foxtrickle

Feb 22, 2007
Seattle
Bookmarks backup

You should check out MyBackup on the Market. It's a free app that will backup your bookmarks (plus a lot of other things) to your SD card. It works quite well. The restore feature is also very simple.

speoples20

Jun 10, 2007
There is also my bookmarks as well that allows you to import your bookmarks to your phone from your desktop browser.

BobbyHill

Nov 26, 2008
There is also my bookmarks as well that allows you to import your bookmarks to your phone from your desktop browser.

What I'd like to see (and I can't believe wasn't included in the OS) is automatic syncing of your Android bookmarks with Google Bookmarks. (or ones labeled as mobile in Google Bookmarks)

jesseowen

Jan 22, 2009
Good Old Idaho
I had this frustration as well (not being able to sync or backup my bookmarks) so I finally just found a simple website where I could save all of my bookmarks, then I set it as the browser home page. There are tons of websites out there that allow you to store your bookmarks, but the one that I chose was murl.com.

Since I use Firefox I use foxmarks. Which is one of the best programs I have ever used. It sycs all of your bookmarks through firefox on as many computers as you want. They have a mobile site you can bookmark in your browser or steel bookmarks and access all of them. Not perfect but better then nothing.

kathi17

Jan 26, 2009
Stonington, Maine
I use Foxmarks too, and I love it! Every time I use a different computer, I just sync my bookmarks, and everything stays the same on each machine!

Now when I use my phone, I can also just go to Foxmarks and click on any bookmark there to go to a website.

Last edited:

BobbyHill

Nov 26, 2008
No FireFox here. (Work doesn't allow it for some reason.)

I use the Google Toolbar on both my desktop and notebook pcs at home and at the office to keep track of my bookmarks. I'm still surprised that it doesn't doesn't sync with android though. Seems like about the only Google thing that doesn't at this point.

grokdesigns

Jul 16, 2007
Chandler, AZ
I just wish someone would write a utility that automatically alphabetized the bookmarks, why this isn't an option by default is annoying. I'm thinking about making it my first Android project.

icpeanuts

Sep 23, 2009
Is there anyway to create a shortcut to list all the Bookmarks? I am using Dwang 1.12 Rom.

I have been searching and can not find anything on how to do it. I love the ability to push an icon, it will list all the bookmarks like the bookmark widget in the Hero Rom.

Thanks

trmacdonal

Oct 18, 2007
Boston
i use the live bookmarks app from the market it lets you make an icon that opens a folder with all your bookmarks. Also bookmarkBR from the market backs up and restores bookmarks.

rexroof

Aug 4, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
manually changing bookmarks

They're stored in a database in the browser's data directory. Check http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3223060&postcount=199 -- it gives you the command to use to retrieve them from the database, i.e.

sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db "SELECT * FROM bookmarks;"

You can also use the My Backup app (available from the Market) to back them up.

Thanks for the info.
I used this to bookmark a url that was a google maps redirect. I used the adb shell to get on my rooted EVO and ran these commands:

Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db
update bookmarks set bookmark = 1 where url = ''http://goo.gl/maps/XXXX';

This url was already in my bookmarks because I had visited it. but I couldn't bookmark it because I was immediately redirected to google maps.

To list all of your urls:

Code:
 select url from bookmarks;