[Guide] USB Host

Search This thread

uniserve

Jun 6, 2011
What terror apple said is true!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Devgee and Terror Apple. Thanks for the reply. I have ordered the OTG cable. My HTC One S is still untouched and unrooted with ICS 4.0.3 and Kernel 3.0.8. Do you think the USB OTG Helper will work with my HTC ONE S? Do I have to flash a custom ROM or Kernel to make OTG work with OTG Helper?

devgee

Dec 5, 2011
It should be rooted and custom Rom flashed!

uniserve

Jun 6, 2011
It should be rooted and custom Rom flashed!

Devgee, thanks again. I will see if OTG works with my phone after I have received the OTG cable. If it doesn't, I will root my phone and install a custom ROM and hopefully OTG will work. HTC ONE S is a good phone. However, I think no micro SD slot and internal battery are its major drawback.

nerd65536

Jun 10, 2009
Devgee and Terror Apple. Thanks for the reply. I have ordered the OTG cable. My HTC One S is still untouched and unrooted with ICS 4.0.3 and Kernel 3.0.8. Do you think the USB OTG Helper will work with my HTC ONE S? Do I have to flash a custom ROM or Kernel to make OTG work with OTG Helper?

OTG Helper requires root.

CzarDestructo

Jun 20, 2008
Boston,MA
There isn't a list of kernels that support USB OTG? None of the custom kernels for CM10 mention if they support it.

Last edited:

lbrfabio

Jun 1, 2011
I read in the HTC One X's official jelly bean roms(leaks) it's present the full support for USB OTG and you won't need all those cables\adapter. Just the normal OTG adapter.

I think there is a real possibility that this will work with our phone too in the future with Jelly Bean

motabass

Mar 5, 2012
Realy hope we'll get native support on JB because carrying around tons of cables is not very comfortable.;)

Blackout Rc3
Hboot 1.14
Radio 1.06s

TerrorApple

Aug 26, 2012
Waiting for ViperOneS JB release but is it now possible using USB OTG without all these cables?

devgee

Dec 5, 2011

razlack

Jan 27, 2011
Hi guys. This has probably been asked already but I have an unrooted HTC one s running JB. Does OTG work and provide power via the Ian port on the standard official rom with just the OTG cable?

spruggs

Jun 6, 2008
USB Flash Drive

My One S is Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (un-rooted)

The problem I have is basically this.

I have a Micro-B Usb Otg On The Go Cable and Integral MicroSD USB Card Reader with a 32gb Micro SD.

When I first put all this together and plugged into the USB slot of the phone everything was fine, the little red light on the Integral MicroSD USB Card Reader was lit up. The message of Unable To Charge Device was coming up but the phone was also mounting the storage for reading via Astro File Manager no problem, so I was able to play MP3's and 4's and so on. But then it literally just stopped reading the Micro SD card and the Micro USB Card Reader is not lighting up at all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am at a lost as to why it would be working perfectly one second and then not another.

Thanks you.

jmcoffey

Dec 6, 2011
Peachtree City
My One S is Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (un-rooted)

The problem I have is basically this.

I have a Micro-B Usb Otg On The Go Cable and Integral MicroSD USB Card Reader with a 32gb Micro SD.

When I first put all this together and plugged into the USB slot of the phone everything was fine, the little red light on the Integral MicroSD USB Card Reader was lit up. The message of Unable To Charge Device was coming up but the phone was also mounting the storage for reading via Astro File Manager no problem, so I was able to play MP3's and 4's and so on. But then it literally just stopped reading the Micro SD card and the Micro USB Card Reader is not lighting up at all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am at a lost as to why it would be working perfectly one second and then not another.

Thanks you.

It all depends on how much battery you have. If I remember correctly, less that 45 percent makes OTG not usable for me.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda app-developers app

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
It all depends on how much battery you have. If I remember correctly, less that 45 percent makes OTG not usable for me.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda app-developers app

Seriously? 45%? Thats worse than useless!
When I use OTG I normally use it until the device is about to die (<10%). Im not on stock JB though...

Sachintha chaminda

Aug 7, 2012
Kandy
vf858.blogspot.com
USB host lets you hook up external USB devices to your phone, like a keyboard, mouse, USB drive, etc..

Unlike devices which are designed to support USB host, the One S doesn't provide power to the peripheral. That means we need a few more adapters/cables to get it to work (and we need an external power source).
Purchase links are listed for all the required cables/adapters.

You will need:
  • USB Host adapter (The otherwise unused 5th pin on a micro-usb connector is grounded) dx.com/m-129671
  • Mini USB power Y cable (this kind of cable is often packaged with portable hard drives) dx.com/u-65630
  • Mini USB Female to USB A Female adapter This package comes with two, but you only need one. dx.com/u-55613
  • Your charger

Assemble the cable:
  • The micro USB of the "USB Host adapter" connects to your phone.
  • Your peripheral plugs into the female end of the "Mini USB Female to USB A Female adapter"
  • The "Mini USB power Y cable" has three connectors:
    1. Mini USB connector - connects to the "Mini USB Female to USB A Female adapter"
    2. Male USB A Power (the thinner wire) - connects to your charger
    3. Male USB A - connects to the "USB Host adapter"
That's all. As long as your ROM supports the peripheral, it will work.
Some fun peripherals to try:
  • Powered USB hub (You can also power the adapter from one of the hub's ports)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse (a cursor will appear on your device)
  • USB flash drives and USB hard drives must be FAT32. You have to run a few commands to use a USB drive. Mount manually from the shell (use Connectbot or Terminal Emulator):
    Code:
    su
    mkdir /mnt/sdcard/usb
    mount -o uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702 /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb
    To unmount:
    Code:
    su
    umount /mnt/sdcard/usb

It shows me like this.Is it ok or some thing wrong ?

$ su
#su
# mkdir /mnt/sdcard/usb
# mount -o
option requires an argument -- oBusyBox v1.20.2-cm7 bionic (2012-07-17 15:18 +0200) multi-call binary.

Usage: mount [OPTIONS] [-o OPTS] DEVICE NODE

Mount a filesystem. Filesystem autodetection requires /proc.

-a Mount all filesystems in fstab
-f Dry run
-r Read-only mount
-w Read-write mount (default)
-t FSTYPE[,...] Filesystem type(s)
-O OPT Mount only filesystems with option OPT (-a only)
-o OPT:
loop Ignored (loop devices are autodetected)
[a]sync Writes are [a]synchronous
[no]atime Disable/enable updates to inode access times
[no]diratime Disable/enable atime updates to directories
[no]relatime Disable/enable atime updates relative to modification time
[no]dev (Dis)allow use of special device files
[no]exec(Dis)allow use of executable files
[no]suid(Dis)allow set-user-id-root programs
[r]shared Convert [recursively] to a shared subtree
[r]slaveConvert [recursively] to a slave subtree
[r]private Convert [recursively] to a private subtree
[un]bindable Make mount point [un]able to be bind mounted
[r]bind Bind a file or directory [recursively] to another location
move Relocate an existing mount point
remount Remount a mounted filesystem, changing flags
ro/rw Same as -r/-w

There are filesystem-specific -o flags.

# uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=
# 0702 /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb1

Reactions: vodafonesmart

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    USB host lets you hook up external USB devices to your phone, like a keyboard, mouse, USB drive, etc..

Unlike devices which are designed to support USB host, the One S doesn't provide power to the peripheral. That means we need a few more adapters/cables to get it to work (and we need an external power source).

You will need:
    • USB Host adapter (The otherwise unused 5th pin on a micro-usb connector is grounded) dx.com/m-129671
    • Mini USB power Y cable (this kind of cable is often packaged with portable hard drives) dx.com/u-65630
    • Mini USB Female to USB A Female adapter This package comes with two, but you only need one. dx.com/u-55613
    • Your charger

Assemble the cable:
    • Your peripheral plugs into the female end of the "Mini USB Female to USB A Female adapter"
      1. Mini USB connector - connects to the "Mini USB Female to USB A Female adapter"
    • Keyboard
    • USB flash drives and USB hard drives must be FAT32. You have to run a few commands to use a USB drive. Mount manually from the shell (use Connectbot or Terminal Emulator):
      Code:
      su
      mkdir /mnt/sdcard/usb
      mount -o uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702 /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb
      To unmount:
      Code:
      su
      umount /mnt/sdcard/usb
    Hi guys. This has probably been asked already but I have an unrooted HTC one s running JB. Does OTG work and provide power via the Ian port on the standard official rom with just the OTG cable?

Yes with the new OTA (jb) you onli need a normal OTG cable to connect any usb device (keyboard,mouse, usb key).
    If you are on T-Mobile stock ROM, even if rooted, I don't think it'll work. The ROM needs USB host support, which is configured in the kernel, so a custom Rom would be the way to go (which one? Sorry, I don't know...). Of course if you can get another USB storage device to work on the stock ROM, then I'm wrong about the ROMs, haha. From the dmesg I don't see anything about any external USB device. I find that odd, since I would expect at least a blip on the dmesg, but then again, it could be related to the lack of USB host support... Could anyone verify my claims about the kernel USB support and the ROMs?

Edit: My One S isn't rooted, so I can't test this right now. I think your best bet would be to try different devices. Also, after you issue the mount command, just type the command "mount" and press enter. If it mounted it, somewhere it that long blurb there should be mention of an sd* device along with /mnt/sdcard/usb as mount point. Also check in Astro by going to /mnt/sdcard/usb after mounting to see if there is something there. Hope that helps!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U

devgee posted a video with a working USB OTG: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30791064&postcount=24 Which ROM is that? I've already tried ASTRO, it just said no data. If this all doesn't work, I'll buy a Y-cable and try a stick first, like in the video. Maybe it's just an issue with my HDDs...
    And it would be really great if someone (maybe the OP?) could say, if you need a custom ROM or not.

Edit: OK, I've PM'd devgee and it seems like you need a custom ROM (ViperOneS works), a USB OTG cable and an Y-cable. No wonder it didn't work :D I'll have a closer look when I'm back from my vacation and then post here if it worked. Thanks to everyone who helped ;)
    Hello,
    I'm French so please excuse me for my english.
    Just one question.
    I understand nothing with custom ROMs (and i don't want to modify the phone).
    Do i need to do something on the phone or your solution with only a couple of cables, an adaptor, a power (i mean a battery like a TeckNet Dual-Port 7000mAh) AND my micro sd card reader (USB), all that will be sufficient to make the deal? I mean i will be able to read the files (.flac music files) of the micro sd or sd card?
    Thank you

A battery pack (like the TeckNet) should work as the power source.

For Keyboard/mouse, you do not need to modify the phone. (Only the cables and power are needed.)
    For a card reader, you must "root" the phone, because to 'mount' the USB drive, you must run 'su'.

You will need:
    • Your charger

Assemble the cable:
    • Keyboard
      Code:
      su
      mkdir /mnt/sdcard/usb
      To unmount:
      Code:
      su
      umount /mnt/sdcard/usb

It shows me like this.Is it ok or some thing wrong ?

$ su
    #su
    # mkdir /mnt/sdcard/usb
    # mount -o
    option requires an argument -- oBusyBox v1.20.2-cm7 bionic (2012-07-17 15:18 +0200) multi-call binary.

Usage: mount [OPTIONS] [-o OPTS] DEVICE NODE

Mount a filesystem. Filesystem autodetection requires /proc.

-a Mount all filesystems in fstab
    -f Dry run
    -r Read-only mount
    -w Read-write mount (default)
    -t FSTYPE[,...] Filesystem type(s)
    -O OPT Mount only filesystems with option OPT (-a only)
    -o OPT:
    loop Ignored (loop devices are autodetected)
    [a]sync Writes are [a]synchronous
    [no]atime Disable/enable updates to inode access times
    [no]diratime Disable/enable atime updates to directories
    [no]relatime Disable/enable atime updates relative to modification time
    [no]dev (Dis)allow use of special device files
    [no]exec(Dis)allow use of executable files
    [no]suid(Dis)allow set-user-id-root programs
    [r]shared Convert [recursively] to a shared subtree
    [r]slaveConvert [recursively] to a slave subtree
    [r]private Convert [recursively] to a private subtree
    [un]bindable Make mount point [un]able to be bind mounted
    [r]bind Bind a file or directory [recursively] to another location