[Q] Free or paid in Play store

Search This thread

hasselaar_nl

Jan 18, 2010
At the moment I’m finishing my first set of Zooper widgets with clock elements and weather forecast elements. I'd like to deploy them thru the Play store and so I have to choose to make them free or paid. I'd like to continue making widgets for Zooper and it would be great if I can earn some money with it...

So, are there some written or unwritten guidelines when to publish for free or when to publish a paid extension?

kwerdenker

Apr 1, 2010
Probably the Zooper Forums
At the moment I’m finishing my first set of Zooper widgets with clock elements and weather forecast elements. I'd like to deploy them thru the Play store and so I have to choose to make them free or paid. I'd like to continue making widgets for Zooper and it would be great if I can earn some money with it...

So, are there some written or unwritten guidelines when to publish for free or when to publish a paid extension?

This thread should bring you up to speed on the process: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2594973

hasselaar_nl

Jan 18, 2010

kwerdenker

Apr 1, 2010
Probably the Zooper Forums
Thanks Kwerdenker. I already did some testing using the guide from the Zooper website, and I had success but unpublished the app (It was only for testing and finding out the process).

I see that you have all your widgets (which are very nice!) free online. What's your reason to post them free?

The main three reasons:
1) I do this as a hobby. I have fun doing it and will do it, even if no one pays me.
2) If you are selling stuff on the Play Store, you are responsible for paying the appropriate taxes. You also have to deal with tax laws in each country you sell your app/widget in. For the amount of money I could make of this after Play Store cut and taxes, the additional workload is just too high.
3) I have a good paying job and thus I'm not dependent on additional funds.

scottx .

I give most of mine away because of the encryption bug for jelly bean. I sell a few. Been working hard on trying to smash that bug. Bunch of us Zooper devs have. I make enough usually to pay my $55 a month aio/straight talk bill. Really I do it for fun. I work full time and i use it as an excuse to play on my phone. (I'm almost 40!)

Google plus has a ton of Zooper discussion and communities. Come check us out. http://plus.google.com/+MatthewScott

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

hasselaar_nl

Jan 18, 2010
The main three reasons:
1) I do this as a hobby. I have fun doing it and will do it, even if no one pays me.
2) If you are selling stuff on the Play Store, you are responsible for paying the appropriate taxes. You also have to deal with tax laws in each country you sell your app/widget in. For the amount of money I could make of this after Play Store cut and taxes, the additional workload is just too high.
3) I have a good paying job and thus I'm not dependent on additional funds.

Thanks for your explanation. I’ve read some about the tax issues and that is indeed a good reason not to sell :( Too bad Google does not handle these taxes their selves and is every small developer by law obligated to know the law in every country he sells.

hasselaar_nl

Jan 18, 2010
I give most of mine away because of the encryption bug for jelly bean. I sell a few. Been working hard on trying to smash that bug. Bunch of us Zooper devs have. I make enough usually to pay my $55 a month aio/straight talk bill. Really I do it for fun. I work full time and i use it as an excuse to play on my phone. (I'm almost 40!)

Google plus has a ton of Zooper discussion and communities. Come check us out. http://plus.google.com/+MatthewScott

Hey Scott, I already saw your widgets/site/G+-page which were a reason for me to open this topic. Because you have some nice work :good: in the store I was wondering why most of the widgets are for free. Thanks for your reply!

Reactions: scottx .

scottx .

Hey Scott, I already saw your widgets/site/G+-page which were a reason for me to open this topic. Because you have some nice work :good: in the store I was wondering why most of the widgets are for free. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks man! Always love getting compliments.

If I can help you with anything send me a message on Hangouts.

edit: The taxes don't bother me at all. Google takes 30% off the top which is what does bother me. But without Google where would we be? Surely wouldn't have Android.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.