Acer Iconia 7" for $190 a good deal?

Search This thread

bsharitt

May 23, 2010
I paid $189 for mine on black Friday, and while it's definitly not the best tablet out there, for that price it's not so bad. I'd pick it over a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire becasue you get a morefully funtional tablet.

Main weaknesses are batterly life and just a rather low quality screen. The only only thing I might consider is that Asus is coming out with a $250 tablet sometime this year that should meet and probably beat the specs of of the A100. Unless they just really cut some corners, it'll probably be worth the extra $60. But if you want a tablet today for $200 and can get an A100 for that, I'd say for for it. You probaly won't get anything better for that price.

Reactions: iamdestruktor

Theonew

Dec 4, 2010
Wherever I am
I saw this in slickdeals.net and wanted to know if this was a good deal from those who own one. Maybe a first hand experience. The cameras and specs are what's attracting me. There's some discrepancy whether its new or refurbished. Thanks.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=220986061457&cmd=VIDESC

Sent via Tapatalk Pro on my *voided* HTC Evo running CM7
Yes, that is a great deal.

I paid $189 for mine on black Friday, and while it's definitly not the best tablet out there, for that price it's not so bad. I'd pick it over a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire becasue you get a morefully funtional tablet.

Main weaknesses are batterly life and just a rather low quality screen. The only only thing I might consider is that Asus is coming out with a $250 tablet sometime this year that should meet and probably beat the specs of of the A100. Unless they just really cut some corners, it'll probably be worth the extra $60. But if you want a tablet today for $200 and can get an A100 for that, I'd say for for it. You probaly won't get anything better for that price.
Anyone would pick it over a nook color, and it seems better than the kindle fire (It is in my opinion). Also, that tablet which you are talking about - The Asus Memo - has probably been "canceled" (It may still come, but stripped down of the most attractive features in previous rumors.There are various places discussing this).

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I saw this in slickdeals.net and wanted to know if this was a good deal from those who own one. Maybe a first hand experience. The cameras and specs are what's attracting me. There's some discrepancy whether its new or refurbished. Thanks.

Its not a bad deal but it is a refurb. Just make sure Acer will still provide you the 1 year warranty for it. It says refurbished by manufacturer OR manufacturer approved vendor so check also with the seller who refurbed it if it makes a difference to you. Or you can always try craigslist but you'll probably get used ones only but they wont be refurbs however warranty will not be a full year on them anymore.

iamdestruktor

Nov 16, 2011
NYC
I've already gotten a Nook Color and put CM7 on it. While its great and stuff, I just feel like it's not a fully functional tablet like when it comes to videos and even gaming. Ah damn decisions, decisions!

littleemp

May 18, 2011
If rumors are to be believed, the Asus MeMo has been cancelled in favor of whatever Google Nexus tablet is being prepared.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I've already gotten a Nook Color and put CM7 on it. While its great and stuff, I just feel like it's not a fully functional tablet like when it comes to videos and even gaming. Ah damn decisions, decisions!

That was quick lol. My coworker has a nook tablet with cm7 also and I wasnt overly impressed with it. It was kinda choppy. Browsing wasn't great on it either. I told him to exchange it for an a100 but he never did. It was for his gf so I guess as long as she was happy with it he didn't care too much lol.

fisterkev

Jan 1, 2012
If rumors are to be believed, the Asus MeMo has been cancelled in favor of whatever Google Nexus tablet is being prepared.

Rumors are strongly indicating that the Asus MeMo has been cancelled and is going to be the basis for the sub-$200 Google Nexus tablet, but the most attractive feature -the Tegra 3 processor - will be removed in favor of a Snapdragon dual core.

If true that is a total bummer, I was planning on getting one but now think I'll just stick with the A100 until the next generation comes out, probably Q3 or Q4.

For under $200 I think the A100 is still probably the best 7" fully functional dual core tablet out there (w/ GPS, microSD slot, full HC / soon-to-be stock ICS system, etc); most comparable tabs are still over $300 at this point. It blows the Kindle Fire away for sure (we have two of those for wife and kid, there is no comparison).

Last edited:

RyanJA

Mar 27, 2012
I've had a Nook Color for a while now.. went from CM7 to CM9, and it is nice. But, it lacks the "horsepower" that the A100 has, without breaking the bank.

I got my A100 today. Paid about $180 after shipping after seeing it on Woot. I have a feeling my NC will become very lonely... so, a gift for the girlfriend! :D

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Pretty good deal from what I can tell. It is a Refurb but still a great price. I grabbed one. Did anyone notice that this is for the VanGogh edition?

Other than 1GB instead of 512MB Ram is there any other differences?

Will this affect any of the Development (unlock, custom recovery, Rom's, ETC) that are in this forum?

In other words I would hate to flash something that was developed for the "standard" device and have it "brick" my VanGogh unit. If anyone can offer details I would appreciate it.

TIA

iamdestruktor

Nov 16, 2011
NYC
Pretty good deal from what I can tell. It is a Refurb but still a great price. I grabbed one. Did anyone notice that this is for the VanGogh edition?

Will this affect any of the Development (unlock, custom recovery, Rom's, ETC) that are in this forum?

In other words I would hate to flash something that was developed for the "standard" device and have it "brick" my VanGogh unit. If anyone can offer details I would appreciate it.

TIA

What's the VanGogh edition? I'm having mixed thoughts this morning after purchasing last night. Please tell me its special or something!

Slooop

Nov 29, 2006
How would you guys compare the a100 to a 16 gb HP touchpad running CM 9? Let's say one could find them for around the same price.

Theonew

Dec 4, 2010
Wherever I am
What's the VanGogh edition? I'm having mixed thoughts this morning after purchasing last night. Please tell me its special or something!

It's special :p;). I have the "vangogh" edition but there's no real difference from what you can tell. NB.: It is the GEN2 version (GEN1 roms still work though). Even though it didn't recieve the 3.2.1 update, I haven't noticed the issues mentioned by users of the GEN1 while running 3.2 (which the GEN2 also comes with).
How would you guys compare the a100 to a 16 gb HP touchpad running CM 9? Let's say one could find them for around the same price.
I would go for the Acer a100 since it is natively android and will have support for more apps (especially when running the modified build.prop). It's size provides more comfort for doing many things (also more portable) plus it's camera is much better than that of the touchpad.

Last edited:

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007

IMO the size difference will make the biggest difference. The touchpad is very heavy and is a 10 inch tablet. You will never take it anywhere with you. After you put a case on it itll feel like you're carrying a laptop. My brother has one and he only uses it at home but from what he tells me it is pretty smooth with cm9. I've only gotten to play around with it for a few minutes but not with cm9. But wow it is heavy.

In comparison I have a transformer prime. Even though it is much faster and thinner its still a 10 inch tablet and its not easy to carry around with me. I mainly use it at home or work but I never take it with me anywhere else. The a100 however I can easily put in my pocket or give it to my gf to put in her purse for me. So a lot of times thats what I take with me. So you may need to consider what you want to use it for since you're really not gonna se a huge major difference in software (unless you get a prime). Portability might be the key for you.

Last edited:

Slooop

Nov 29, 2006
A100 does or will have ICS natively in the future?

I've seen some youtube vids of the A100 running ICS fairly smoothly.

So performance wise, an overclocked/stock clock Touchpad running ICS should be equal to an A100 running ICS?

720p/1080p video, same thing?

Which one is easier to type short emails on? I'm guessing the touchpad's larger interface, multitouch would be better suited for it?

amrn4s

Oct 5, 2011
Good deal. I've got a fire but honestly I would buy this over a fire for that price.

jbuggydroid

Jul 29, 2010
Just got one for my wife and thinking about getting one for myself now since I played around with it. Nice size and weight. Use to have the a500 but didn't like the weight of it. 7" is a perfect size for me. If what everybody is saying us true about the Asus 7" tab then I will more likely get the a100..

If you wanting to type on any tablet take a look at thumb keyboard. It splits the keyboard apart making it easier to type with your thumbs. No stretching across the screen to get at letters.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes, that is a great deal.

Anyone would pick it over a nook color, and it seems better than the kindle fire (It is in my opinion). Also, that tablet which you are talking about - The Asus Memo - has probably been "canceled" (It may still come, but stripped down of the most attractive features in previous rumors.There are various places discussing this).

Its not a bad deal but it is a refurb. Just make sure Acer will still provide you the 1 year warranty for it. It says refurbished by manufacturer OR manufacturer approved vendor so check also with the seller who refurbed it if it makes a difference to you. Or you can always try craigslist but you'll probably get used ones only but they wont be refurbs however warranty will not be a full year on them anymore.
    I've had a Nook Color for a while now.. went from CM7 to CM9, and it is nice. But, it lacks the "horsepower" that the A100 has, without breaking the bank.

I got my A100 today. Paid about $180 after shipping after seeing it on Woot. I have a feeling my NC will become very lonely... so, a gift for the girlfriend! :D

TIA