[MOD]CM9 Alpha 5 hide voicemail notification

Search This thread

stilesja

Feb 22, 2011
Knoxville
Seems like some of us are stuck with these persistent voicemail notifications when we aren't on a touchwiz rom. CM7 let you hide these but CM9 does not.

Until a more official solution comes along this mod simply patches framework-res.apk to use a 1x1 transparent png in place of the standard notification.

Thanks goes to [s89281b, || Acer ||] from the cm9 thread for suggesting removing this icon or blacking it out. I tried removing but that caused the phone app to force close which led me to use a transparent image which should look fine for most situations.

Download for alpha1
http://db.tt/zAumf0Bm

Download for alpha2
http://db.tt/I7f3jYQ6

Download for alpha3
http://db.tt/iJfcFTjf

Download for alpha4
http://db.tt/Fyl7zr3L

Download for alpha5
http://db.tt/ygzJ2Mxu

I don't actually think you need to wipe anything for this to work but it never hurts to wipe cache and dalvik cache. Also make a backup before flashing this.

Thanks to tbob18 for putting together a script to auto kill your phone app at boot up. Combine his script with my mod and you have a completely automated solution for dismissing that pesky notification.

Here you go guys. Took a little experimenting, but it works quite nicely. :)

Combined with this mod, you'll never see it. :)

Theoretically the program Autostart (Root) would be a great way to combine these two mods into one cwm flashable zip but it seems the app app does not work on ICS... And every time I tried to do it with preconfiguring script manager, it always force closed :/

I will keep looking into combining these two mods as I would love to make it a little easier.

Also thanks to a454nova for pointing out that if you force stop the phone app it will remove the notification and the icon until you reboot. I still like having icon modded to be clear so action isn't required after a reboot until you want to remove the notification.

Oh and I am not responsible for anything... at all... ever... unless it was good, that stuff is all my fault.

Last edited:

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Yeah I forgot to mention if somethings missing it won't work properly :D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

s89281b

Oct 7, 2010
north charleston,sc
Thanks. Just flashed and working. Voicemail icon is gone. You will still have notification in pulldown but that's not annoying like icon. At least for me.

|| Acer ||

Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
Hmm, this might make me more willing to use CM9, however I've been hearing a lot of people are having battery issues. It's great that we have a temporary fix though and I'll be sure to use this method in updated versions. :)

I'm wondering if it's possible to locate the "Hide VM Notifications" feature in CM7, and try to port it over ourselves? I don't really have the experience, but it would be pretty helpful and would get rid of the notification in the dropdown menu as well.

a454nova

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 4, 2008
Aurora, CO
www.a454nova.com
Go into Titanium Backup, backup and uninstall the phone app. (I backed up the "Voicemail" [Phone 4.0.3...] and deleted it)

this will clear the voice mail anything...

restore the app and your good!

mine is gone, my brothers came back after he restarted. He just did it again and hasn't had an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: || Acer ||

|| Acer ||

Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
Go into Titanium Backup, backup and uninstall the phone app. (I backed up the "Voicemail" [Phone 4.0.3...] and deleted it)

this will clear the voice mail anything...

restore the app and your good!

mine is gone, my brothers came back after he restarted. He just did it again and hasn't had an issue.

Awesome! I know you and your brother were able to do this, but has anyone else tried this? I'm just curious to know the success rate of this method.

stilesja

Feb 22, 2011
Knoxville
Awesome! I know you and your brother were able to do this, but has anyone else tried this? I'm just curious to know the success rate of this method.

That seems to be effectively like the clear data on phone application method which works for me until a reboot although I have not tried this uninstall / reinstall method.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

gabestover

Jul 15, 2007
Menu/Manage apps

Click the ALL tab and go down to "Phone" and click it.

"Force stop" it.

Voice Mail gone. :)

You will have to do this after every time you restart. A little easier than Titanium Backup. Haven't had issues yet and all seems to work perfect.

Works perfectly for me. Flashed the hiding notification too, in case I have to restart & forget to force stop Phone afterwards.

czechpunk

May 5, 2011
Katy, TX
www.4oEmusic.com
I was having this issue too, so I looked and noticed I had Sprint VVM still installed and not from a backup. I opened it and it said I had a new voicemail that couldn't be downloaded. I held the back button to kill the app, ???, profit!, vm notification is now gone...

Last edited:

stilesja

Feb 22, 2011
Knoxville
I was having this issue too, so I looked and noticed I had Sprint VVM still installed and not from a backup. I opened it and it said I had a new voicemail that couldn't be downloaded. I held the back button to kill the app, ???, profit!, vm notification is now gone...

That's not the type of notification this mod addresses. On non android phones your voicemail notification comes from a specially formatted text message sent from the carrier to your phone. No its not that funky one you get when visual voicemail isn't installed either. Its a class 0 message in cshp format that triggers your message waiting indicator. Its a relic left over from voicemail systems that were used before we got android phones that were not cleared out. Touchwiz roms ignore them but aosp roms do not because some carriers use them.

philowneus

Sep 16, 2010
That's not the type of notification this mod addresses. On non android phones your voicemail notification comes from a specially formatted text message sent from the carrier to your phone. No its not that funky one you get when visual voicemail isn't installed either. Its a class 0 message in cshp format that triggers your message waiting indicator. Its a relic left over from voicemail systems that were used before we got android phones that were not cleared out. Touchwiz roms ignore them but aosp roms do not because some carriers use them.

You say they are from an old system. The only phone I have ever had on sprint is android. Yet I still have six phantom vm. So either its still in use or it has carried over from before I was on sprint with the number I was given.

I really don't understand why its there. But ill see if Google can help. If you have direct resource pages I would appreciate it.

stilesja

Feb 22, 2011
Knoxville
You say they are from an old system. The only phone I have ever had on sprint is android. Yet I still have six phantom vm. So either its still in use or it has carried over from before I was on sprint with the number I was given.

I really don't understand why its there. But ill see if Google can help. If you have direct resource pages I would appreciate it.

did your previous android phone on sprint have visual voicemail? If not perhaps that is the reason.

The message waiting indicator stuff in android SMS message is where this is happening. CPHS is the format.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/gsm/SmsMessage.html

www.google.com/m?q=cphs+mwi&client=ms-opera-mobile-android&channel=new

Last edited:

philowneus

Sep 16, 2010
If I recall correctly the moment had vvm when I got it. Thanks for the links.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seems like some of us are stuck with these persistent voicemail notifications when we aren't on a touchwiz rom. CM7 let you hide these but CM9 does not.

Until a more official solution comes along this mod simply patches framework-res.apk to use a 1x1 transparent png in place of the standard notification.

Thanks goes to [s89281b, || Acer ||] from the cm9 thread for suggesting removing this icon or blacking it out. I tried removing but that caused the phone app to force close which led me to use a transparent image which should look fine for most situations.

Download for alpha1
    http://db.tt/zAumf0Bm

Download for alpha2
    http://db.tt/I7f3jYQ6

Download for alpha3
    http://db.tt/iJfcFTjf

Download for alpha4
    http://db.tt/Fyl7zr3L

Download for alpha5
    http://db.tt/ygzJ2Mxu

I don't actually think you need to wipe anything for this to work but it never hurts to wipe cache and dalvik cache. Also make a backup before flashing this.

Thanks to tbob18 for putting together a script to auto kill your phone app at boot up. Combine his script with my mod and you have a completely automated solution for dismissing that pesky notification.

Theoretically the program Autostart (Root) would be a great way to combine these two mods into one cwm flashable zip but it seems the app app does not work on ICS... And every time I tried to do it with preconfiguring script manager, it always force closed :/

I will keep looking into combining these two mods as I would love to make it a little easier.

Also thanks to a454nova for pointing out that if you force stop the phone app it will remove the notification and the icon until you reboot. I still like having icon modded to be clear so action isn't required after a reboot until you want to remove the notification.

Oh and I am not responsible for anything... at all... ever... unless it was good, that stuff is all my fault.

Menu/Manage apps

Click the ALL tab and go down to "Phone" and click it.

"Force stop" it.

Voice Mail gone. :)

You will have to do this after every time you restart. A little easier than Titanium Backup. Haven't had issues yet and all seems to work perfect.
    That was quick. Haha

;-) I figured if I made a post about it I had better stay on top of it!

Bump. stilesja, update this :)