A warning for all rooters

Search This thread

danakers

Feb 28, 2009
At the risk of showcasing myself as a total moron, I thought I'd share with you my experience of sheer, unadulterated stupidity before anyone else makes the same mistake.

I've been rooting my Android devices for a long, long time without any problem, until now.

I installed a ROM that didn't agree with my N7100 and needed to get my phone back into a working state. Having only Macs at work meant I had to use Heimdall rather than the Windows-friendly Odin. Heimdall isn't quite as easy to get to grips with and couldn't handle the factory images I was throwing at it, so in a desperate attempt to fix this, I inadvertently deleted all of my EFS data...

...and I hadn't taken a backup.

A local 'backstreet' phone shop couldn't fix it, and Vodafone charged me £100 (as I'd invalided the warranty) to replace the motherboard.

So it's not only a silly mistake to make, it's an expensive one, as this 'experienced' rooter discovered :(

Whatever you do, never, ever delete, re-partition or reformat the EFS partition on your Galaxy Note II!

You have been warned!

Bl!GhT

Nov 27, 2011
At the risk of showcasing myself as a total moron, I thought I'd share with you my experience of sheer, unadulterated stupidity before anyone else makes the same mistake.

I've been rooting my Android devices for a long, long time without any problem, until now.

I installed a ROM that didn't agree with my N7100 and needed to get my phone back into a working state. Having only Macs at work meant I had to use Heimdall rather than the Windows-friendly Odin. Heimdall isn't quite as easy to get to grips with and couldn't handle the factory images I was throwing at it, so in a desperate attempt to fix this, I inadvertently deleted all of my EFS data...

A local 'backstreet' phone shop couldn't fix it, and Vodafone charged me £100 (as I'd invalided the warranty) to replace the motherboard.

So it's not only a silly mistake to make, it's an expensive one, as this 'experienced' rooter discovered :(

Whatever you do, never, ever delete, re-partition or reformat the EFS partition on your Galaxy Note II!

You have been warned!

Even though i wouldn't do this, i am sure that if NASA was able to send monkeys into space there ought to a couple left here who would do this :eek:

But Thank You.

rashid.fairus

Dec 6, 2011
Klang
you should understand the word "use at your own risk", "always made a backup", "this is for advanced-user", and many things before doing something, just a warning wont help I think..:(

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
I have tested this sw after reading this from your other post
though i have no IMEI issue but tried unlock screen as it is free feature, but it didn't work for me.
apart from this it has caused issue on my device and pc, my play store was unable to download any application untill i factory reset device.
on PC side even after uninstall sw it was giving me some dll error. and had to reset my PC too.

Last edited:

adytum

Jul 1, 2011
I've seen a lot of efs repair apps, and I don't really see how any of them can possibly work at all. If the efs is deleted, you can't magically return it. That would be the same as having an app recalling a forgotten password without having anything to do with it beforehand.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

danakers

Feb 28, 2009
I've seen a lot of efs repair apps, and I don't really see how any of them can possibly work at all. If the efs is deleted, you can't magically return it. That would be the same as having an app recalling a forgotten password without having anything to do with it beforehand.

Yes, it does seem as though screwing up your EFS is a bigger deal than I thought, on account of the fact that the only way they could repair my handset was by replacing the mobo. I tried so many supposed 'fixes' before dropping my handset into the Vodafone store and sadly none of them worked. On the plus side, even though I 'fessed up, the helpful people at Vodafone logged my fault as "device will not reboot" in the hope they didn't spot it was an invalidated warranty job... but they still found out :eek:

Anyway, hands up... I'm an idiot!

koalauk

Jan 23, 2006
Nowhere
Paranoids Glore my efs on my raid server in the cloud on my remote mail server zipped and stored on a flash disk and on my laptop. Uou never know

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

ciscosec

Feb 15, 2009
Athens
Ok...thank you for sharing the experience...**** happens even to the brilliandest of minds!... I have a crusial question though... I come from the htc side which I now hate for their crappy support and aftersales policy... I had an evo 3d which after a year of pretty much flawless operation started to have serious issues with the display. I had the warranty running, so htc service repaired it for free, changing the mobo! GOD! What happened next?? I couldnt unlock the bootloader (even with their official way) and root my phone! Such a huge dissapointment! SO, my question to you all guys is, if for some reason I got changed my note2 mobo, will I be able to root it again? Thank you all in advance.

zekurosu

Dec 2, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Ok...thank you for sharing the experience...**** happens even to the brilliandest of minds!... I have a crusial question though... I come from the htc side which I now hate for their crappy support and aftersales policy... I had an evo 3d which after a year of pretty much flawless operation started to have serious issues with the display. I had the warranty running, so htc service repaired it for free, changing the mobo! GOD! What happened next?? I couldnt unlock the bootloader (even with their official way) and root my phone! Such a huge dissapointment! SO, my question to you all guys is, if for some reason I got changed my note2 mobo, will I be able to root it again? Thank you all in advance.

yepp .. no problem

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom

You have been warned!

Why didnt u go to the samsung repair centre???? Are u in the UK? ?

Handwritten from my Galaxy Note II

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    you should understand the word "use at your own risk", "always made a backup", "this is for advanced-user", and many things before doing something, just a warning wont help I think..:(

Yes, I'm just trying to be helpful by posting this.

I consider myself an advanced user, but even advanced users can make mistakes.
    That is a sign of SDS. You know what you do, there is no problem at all

Sent from my GT-N7100

What are you on about? None of this has anything to do with Sds.

Nowadays people get a cold and blame it on Sds.