Yes, please. (Honeycomb)

Search This thread

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Amen to that. You know - i ahve seen other phones have semi-working rom builds created from the SDK images. I am sure its just a pip dream, but damn it would be sweet if we could be working on honeycomb now.... :)

cainhunpi

Jan 18, 2011
it's possible to extract a image, but then it would be slow as hell.

not worth the trouble porting it

deeper-blue

Nov 28, 2010
somewhere in good ol' Germany
I made a zombie out of the honeycomb preview and one of the nook kernels.
Touch input doesn't work, no hardware acceleration etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2,900

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA

I love it (and thanks for trying exactly what i was thinking of)! Sure, it isn't fully working, but it provides a TON of hope that with some work, Honeycomb can be made to work.

Mat Sumpter

Feb 16, 2010
Once the source code is on AOSP then getting working ROMs for other platforms should be much easier. I think one of the problems we might see is driver support since the underlying kernel for Honeycomb might be different.

Sami88

Jan 20, 2010
It does indeed run very slow so far.
Touchscreen is working now. I'll try to get the graphics acceleration running over the weekend that should help with performance.

(and I think it's stupid that I can't post or reply in the development forum without having more than 10 posts.)

If you get a bootable SD card out of this, you'd become a legend on these forums (At least in my eyes)

If you don't, you still get huge respect for getting this working on your device.

danbutter

Feb 1, 2008
(and I think it's stupid that I can't post or reply in the development forum without having more than 10 posts.)

It is an effort to keep people from finding out about XDA on yahoo or something and then coming here and going into the dev section saying make it work for me...NOW!!
Which sadly happens a great deal. Seen it many times in my years around here.

I'm sure that you will appreciate it when you have less of that to deal with when you hit another few posts and can start your first thread in the dev section.

You obviously have something to contribute so just post replies to a few posts in the general section here and you will be on your way.

Looking forward to the work you have started!!

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Agreed - please keep up your work, and hit up the dev section after 10 posts. I would LOVE to see work progress on honeycomb!

cainhunpi

Jan 18, 2011
Deeper-Blue. hit up 10 posts and start a post on the Development forum. Gived us the code u got and we can help each other

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
Damn, makes me regret returning my NC. Awesome job!

Sent from my EVO using XDA App

govee

Jul 25, 2010
Amazing. The OEM still hasn't released Froyo and there are devs working Froyo, Ubuntu, and now Honeycomb. I didn't see Gingerbread, but I bet that has been done as well! Congrats!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    for all the people that can't wait:

graphics acceleration more or less working. The SGX driver seems too old for some buffer request of android 3.0, so right now the statusbar is invisible but still functional. Not sure if I can fix that or have to wait for the AOSP release.

What is not working... pretty much everything else, no accelerometer, no wlan, no sound. Haven't started working on those things yet.
    It does indeed run very slow so far.
    Touchscreen is working now. I'll try to get the graphics acceleration running over the weekend that should help with performance.

This is my 10th post. I think I'll start a thread in the dev section soon.
    A small update:

The graphics problem is due to the SGX drivers not supporting RGBX_8888 and android assuming it works. With the honeycomb source this would be no problem to fix with some ifs and a recompile. So instead I'm patching the binaries by hand. The statusbar still isn't visible but at least other programs work now instead of showing a black screen.

Still haven't looked into why the sensors don't work. I assume the interface might have changed ... I can see the acceleration sensor working at /dev/input/event3

I have it running from an SD card. It also seems to hibernate/sleep without a problem now.

I'll upload all of this to github and upload a binary somewhere when it's a little bit more usable.

Patience is a virtue (= I have a social life too).