What phone would you get?

Search This thread

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
My update is in 3 months, do you think I should get the Incredible 4G in 3 months? And is the processor in the Incredible 4G the S4 faster then the Exynos in the Samsung Galaxy S2? And how about Tegra 3? Or the Ti-Omap 4 in the Nexus Galaxy? :) Or even the Exynos in the S3 :D?

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
My update is in 3 months, do you think I should get the Incredible 4G in 3 months? And is the processor in the Incredible 4G the S4 faster then the Exynos in the Samsung Galaxy S2? And how about Tegra 3? Or the Ti-Omap 4 in the Nexus Galaxy? :) Or even the Exynos in the S3 :D?

Wait to see what is out in 3 months, or what is due soon

Don't decide now id say

420fan

Oct 16, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I'm really interested in seeing what the Dinc 4 looks like and would like to see how the Galaxy SIII is. I heard the camera was phenomenal on it, but time will tell. I'm eligible for an upgrade on May 22nd, but I refuse to pay the BS $30 upgrade fee, so I might get a ONE x and switch to Att.

A lot will depend on how customer service takes care of me come may 22nd. They will probably loose a 11 year customer over 30 bucks though.

david_hume

Jan 25, 2012
The Land of the Ninjas
I'm really interested in seeing what the Dinc 4 looks like and would like to see how the Galaxy SIII is. I heard the camera was phenomenal on it, but time will tell. I'm eligible for an upgrade on May 22nd, but I refuse to pay the BS $30 upgrade fee, so I might get a ONE x and switch to Att.

A lot will depend on how customer service takes care of me come may 22nd. They will probably loose a 11 year customer over 30 bucks though.

Incredible 4? Technically the Incredible 4G LTE is supposed to be the Incredible 3....

Also, you say the the $30 upgrade fee is bad, but what happens if AT&T starts to raise prices on the plans? Because to my knowledge, AT&T is going to raise prices for the customers due to the failed merger with T-Mobile. What happens if that happens?

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC

I think if you get it from Amazon they won't charge the $30 fee.
EDIT: Never mind they do. Wow so messed up.

Last edited:

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I just sold my rezound so I can purchase an inc4g once it's released.
I have an upgrade due,
but I think I'll purchase the inc4g in full and same the update.
either way, andybones will be on the inc4g once released :)

Reactions: Stam2000

420fan

Oct 16, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Incredible 4? Technically the Incredible 4G LTE is supposed to be the Incredible 3....

Also, you say the the $30 upgrade fee is bad, but what happens if AT&T starts to raise prices on the plans? Because to my knowledge, AT&T is going to raise prices for the customers due to the failed merger with T-Mobile. What happens if that happens?

I'm not really sure what to do. I'm really struggling which way to go. I do love the coverage I have with verizon, but have a serious issue with some of their policies and their sheer corporate greed.

david_hume

Jan 25, 2012
The Land of the Ninjas
I'm not really sure what to do. I'm really struggling which way to go. I do love the coverage I have with verizon, but have a serious issue with some of their policies and their sheer corporate greed.

Can't really disagree with that. I also feel a little outraged at the $30 upgrade fee because a corporate beast like Verizon shouldn't need to have their customers pay more money for an upgrade.

Verizon has good coverage and all, but their demand for more money does turn me away from them. Their upgrade fee is probably gonna end up backstabbing thrm when they lose some subscribers for that. This makes me want to go to Sprint or possibly AT&T (if the price is still better than Verizon after the price change).

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
A lot of the people here that say they want to get the Inc 4G say that they will get it without the contract, wouldn't it be like around $500-$600 then? Or do phones get a lot cheaper to $200-$300 fast? I don't know how the prices work out in the used market.

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
A lot of the people here that say they want to get the Inc 4G say that they will get it without the contract, wouldn't it be like around $500-$600 then? Or do phones get a lot cheaper to $200-$300 fast? I don't know how the prices work out in the used market.

It'll be that much outright from Verizon. CDMA phones lose value far quicker than GSM phones on the used market, you can pick up a Rezound for under $300 in the MP, same with a Droid 4 etc.

Won't take long after it hits to be able to score a good deal :)

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
It'll be that much outright from Verizon. CDMA phones lose value far quicker than GSM phones on the used market, you can pick up a Rezound for under $300 in the MP, same with a Droid 4 etc.

Won't take long after it hits to be able to score a good deal :)

Wow so its basically stupid to buy an Android phone for $200 on contract then? And I thought you had to wait 2 years to sell the phone if it was on contract, or else verizon will put a bad ESN on it.

PacerguyDon

Mar 15, 2011
Boise
Wow so its basically stupid to buy an Android phone for $200 on contract then? And I thought you had to wait 2 years to sell the phone if it was on contract, or else verizon will put a bad ESN on it.
I still have 11 months till my scheduled upgrade, but there is no need to wait that long, or longer...
You can wait a few months after a phone has been released, and then go shopping on Ebay, Craigslist or the phone forums.
I recently picked up my GNex on Ebay for just over 300 bucks (manufacture refurb) It looks like new, and works great.
I basically paid what Vzw charged for this phone a few months back when it was released, but I'm still eligible for my upgrade in 11 months.
It's a win win :cool:

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator

Pretty much, yeah. You end up paying more over the length of the contract, it's always a long-term saving to get your own handset outright.

You only have to keep the account in good standing for two years to avoid a bad ESN. Pay your bills, and your ETF if you finish early, and the device is clear as far as I understand. There are VZW guys in the MP who swap devices almost every week and never seem to have any problems :)

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
I noticed that according to various sources the Incredible 4G only has a VGA camera/0.3 megapixel front facing camera. Why did they do that the Inc 2 has a 1.3MP front facing camera, why would they just downgrade...

david_hume

Jan 25, 2012
The Land of the Ninjas
I noticed that according to various sources the Incredible 4G only has a VGA camera/0.3 megapixel front facing camera. Why did they do that the Inc 2 has a 1.3MP front facing camera, why would they just downgrade...

Don't take it up to face value. Megapixels don't determine everything about a camera. Just wait till we see the phone's images. :)

Sent from my Incredible 2 using XDA

Card83

May 3, 2011
Sacramento
I like the Droid 4 because I love having a physical keyboard. But the PenTile screen just makes my eyes sad.

I like the Droid Razr Maxx because I would love to have a full day of heavy use on the phone without needing to find an outlet. But I keep hearing people say that the battery life just isn't quite as good as advertised.

I like the Galaxy Note, because more screen real estate is always nice to have. But I'm afraid it's just a bit TOO big to be comfortable to use as a day-to-day phone.

I like the Galaxy S3 because it's pure cell phone bliss. But it's not out yet.

So, in other words...I'll stick with my DInc2 at least until the next generation of phones comes out. The level of advancement is so rapid in this field, that it's easy to burn through money to always have "the next big thing". If I'm satisfied with what I have, I just enjoy it as long I can.

shredder47

Dec 31, 2010
Columbus, OH/Philadelphia, PA
As of today, I'm upgrade eligible....

Coming from a Fascinate to a Inc2, I've lucked into getting two phones with good devs, and good hackability.

Right now, I'm eyeing a galaxy nexus pretty hard. Its guaranteed unlockable, rootable, good dev community, etc. Plus, I love the phone itself.

The Rezound is good, but at this point, I'd probably just rather wait for the Inc4G. However with the Inc4G there's no guarantee of getting it unlockable, which causes me some worry.

The GS3 is the same way. I loved my GS (Fascinate) to death, but I'm just worried Verizon will put her on lockdown.

I don't know what to do :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if it was a choice of any phone out in verizon's current inventory (assuming i was burning an upgrade and paying vzw's prices...)

i wouldnt take any (which is why i havent)

reasons i wouldnt take: (all just my personal opinion, not remotely trying to influence anyone...everyone has their own likes/dislikes/needs)

nexus:
    i like having the option of (insert oem skin) and aosp
    radios are a bit iffy (most samsung devices are)
    would get bored of swapping just between aokp and miui4
    i personally wouldnt have anything to do for it
    battery life is mixed (some report great batt life with kernels, others on same kernels disagree so meh)

rezound:
    no working aosp, nor any aosp devs that (i think) can get ril worked out anytime soon
    500 of the exact same sense roms
    still officially on gb
    battery debacle of the different voltage batts
    not much for me to do for it (put out more of the same sense roms?)

(insert motorola device)
    i wont buy motorola on principle
    i hate blur so much it might as well not be an option for me

lg spectrum:
    lol, i had to put this in here...no one bought it

future phones?!

certainly a lot for consideration, but too many unknowns to commit to one right now

sgs3:
    even though its very likely that the verizon version (if indeed there is one) ships with a dual core s4 chip rather than quad core exynos, that would be ok in my book
    a lot depends on pricepoint, actual release date (if it launches in september or something forget it), and the other developers that commit to it (if a billion others do, ill pass rather than do the same stuff they do)
    and lets see what other things verizon does it to it (form factor change, etc)

galaxy note (journal):
    more unknowns
    is it launching? if so, when? (summer is too late for its q4 2011 specs)
    is it really launching with gingerbread ?!?! (it would be a no buy just based on that, given samsung/vzw's terrible history with updating skinned sammy phones..or even the gnex for that matter)

inc 4g/inc3/inc lte/whatever its called:
    ill *most* likely pick this device up assuming that
    battery life is decent
    will it have htc dev unlock support? (att one x doesnt seem to)
    will the latest s-off for htc phones work with it? or is the chipset a no-go
    i can find it on wirefly for around $200 on contract (not paying $300 on contract for it)
    similar camera to the one series
    i like the 4.0 inch screen size, and qhd is a nice bump in resolution
    s4 processor w/ qhd res *should* lead to very good performance
    native full sense 4 and ics is nice
    native ics devices *should* be easier to get aosp working on, as its been speculated that the ril situation should be better than native gb phones (who knows though)

rumored htc note competitor:
    umm, lets see how big it is really :eek:
    how much it costs
    how is battery life?
    is it really going to have sense 5? what the heck is sense 5 lol
    will it have htc dev unlock support? (att one x doesnt seem to)
    As there is nothing available right now that gets my heart racing, I'll be keeping my DInc2 and unlimited data. When I finally want a phone I'll pay full market price and will continue to do it that way for good. The keeping of unlimited data will pay for the phone in just a few months.

What would make my mouth water as far as phones go? Realistically?
    The DInc4G with a 4.3" screen, image sense, and good battery life. I'll pay 5-6 hundred for that. Or wait till I can buy a used one for less.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium
    The new samsung galaxy s3 because i think the performance of the new exynos quad core processor would be great......like the old exynos on the galaxy s2 :D:D:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    I have an upgrade due,
    I have an upgrade due,

good to hear man :)