Too good to be true? We'll see.

Search This thread

jtkemp101010

Aug 22, 2012
Lehigh Acres
So I have a plan to water-proof my GS3 with ZERO bulk (okay maybe like 1%)

I'm sure if you've Googled anything having to do with waterproofing your GS3, you've seen this: http://www.iottie.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1010&ProductType=320

In theory, it seems like a great idea. Until you realize that you have no way to charge your phone or plug in earbuds.

A couple weeks after I saw that product, I came across this article: http://m.webosnation.com/galaxy-s3-gets-cleanest-touchstone-mod-yet

Now if you see where I'm going with this, you're probably thinking "Well that solves the charging problem, but what about the headphone jack?"

After about 10 minutes of research I found this: http://www.jabra.com/products/bluetooth/jabra_clipper/jabra_clipper

Unfortunately this blows the $80 budget of a waterproof case.

So instead, I just found a refurbished pair of blue tooth headphones for $35 on ebay. (I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004B...edirect=true&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&tag=chescifi-20)

So the idea is to combine these products (Jabra clipper is optional) and have a waterproofed phone. Is this idea too good to be true? I have ordered all of the items. I will post a video showing my results when I have received the items.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
Sorry anything that comes with leak detectors and even flat out says its not made to be permanent i wouldn't trust.
eha4uneg.jpg

Sent from a planet far far away.

jtkemp101010

Aug 22, 2012
Lehigh Acres
Sorry anything that comes with leak detectors and even flat out says its not made to be permanent i wouldn't trust.
eha4uneg.jpg

Sent from a planet far far away.

Although it says that it isn't meant to be permanent, it implies that that is only because it does not allow charging. Either way, I've bought the items. My point of view is that if the waterproofing isn't successful, at least I have some badass accessories now right?

jtkemp101010

Aug 22, 2012
Lehigh Acres
So far, the "case" itself is literally the only part of this experiment that has not shipped yet. Please be patient for a video on my results. I'm going to try to go as long as I can with one package worth of material. I'd say I can make it last 1-2 months. I don't plan on much submersion except maybe for a quick test.

jtkemp101010

Aug 22, 2012
Lehigh Acres
The idea seems great, but it would worry me a bit. Not to mention the fact that devices that were not built to be waterproof can get water trapped in non air tight areas. At CES they had a liquipelled Tab 2 that got water trapped between the glass and the display. Not fun. This technology is used more for accidental exposure to moisture.

bootny

Apr 4, 2011
He says he can take pics underwater and still say that you think it's not a good idea bc a tablet(that isn't built like a phone) got water under the screen... That means tablet wasn't sealed properly no?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

jtkemp101010

Aug 22, 2012
Lehigh Acres
Technology that was not designed to be waterproof may not play nice with that. I'm not saying that nothing will work with it, I'm just saying that it may not be the best idea in all cases.

jtkemp101010

Aug 22, 2012
Lehigh Acres
I have received all of the materials today, I plan on making a video by tomorrow. Stay tuned! :)

[EDIT]

My camera is broken. -.-
I'll figure out an alternative soon.

Last edited:

Nut_House

Feb 21, 2013
Not sure this is something I'd ever consider doing. However, it's sure going to be interesting to see how it works.

jtkemp101010

Aug 22, 2012
Lehigh Acres
Ugh. I have not made a video for this to this day. This is a dead thread and I apologize. My plan worked to an extent. It stayed waterproof and charged normally, but was cumbersome to use because of the odd shrink-wrap feel of the case.