[Q] Help! Boot Loop/Bricked SM-T320

Search This thread

anrima

May 30, 2007
Vallejo
Hello,

I got an SM-T320 in a trade on craigslist. The individual who traded it to me had rooted and installed CWM on it and removed a bunch of the applications from the stock device. I was attempting to return it to stock utilizing Odin on VMware Fusion Windows 7 Ultimate. I was following steps I had found elsewhere in the XDA forum for this and had downloaded the appropriate firmware. The process began running but failed at:

<ID:0/003> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.

At this point the device indicates that a failed install had occured and to use Kies to do a recovery, that did not work.

When searching odin failed system.img.ext4 I found a couple hits from a few years ago that VMware would not work for this due to a usb timing issue. I then attempted to use Heimdall and it will not save the PIT file it times out during the process.

Any input would be nice, I have rooted and installed custom roms in the past but have not had much experience with it the past few years, I was simply trying to return the device to stock and now it will not even go into recovery.

Thanks in advance.

anrima

May 30, 2007
Vallejo
The exact message is "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

When I hold down the down button or the up button it goes into download mode, nothing seems to get into recovery mode.

anrima

May 30, 2007
Vallejo
There seems to be a usb timing issue with using VMware fusion. Using either boot camp or a windows machine allowed me to succeed at reflashing first try.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Free mobile app

flymacs

Dec 5, 2009
Paso Robles, CA
There seems to be a usb timing issue with using VMware fusion. Using either boot camp or a windows machine allowed me to succeed at reflashing first try.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Free mobile app

I had the same issues with VMware. Using Bootcamp was the way to go for me. Running Windows native rather than emulated solved a lot of problems. I've seen some people have success with VMware by tweaking Windows USB settings, but I would rather spend my time flashing and rooting. ;)

idaho947

May 5, 2010
SAme issue

Hello
I've the same issue during a firmeware update the device crash. Now I've got the same message on odin (fail ext4) and on my device. i'm on windows 8. Help me please I don't know what to do ! Thanks

Last edited: