Reviews - Verizon G3

Search This thread

boe

Dec 4, 2006
Los Angeles
If I may ask, which apps did you disable/turn off after you set up your G3? I am curious what you found to be the battery hogs that you don't or won't need. Everyone has different needs, but knowing what others did will help others as well.

I wish I had made note - Since the are not enabled, I can't tell you anymore but I can tell you if you got application manager - all apps you'll find at least 6 that I didn't need running. All I want on my phone is incoming and outgoing calls, BT, messaging and email. I didn't need weather, a bunch of play stuff etc. I've had over 2 hours of talk time on my BT headset, been unplugged for a little over 24 hours and am at 89%. When people used to post things like that I thought they were lying or idiots but apparently I was the idiot for not knowing about disabling more junk. I wonder how much battery life I would have gotten on my S4 if I had done this. Unfortunately, although I like my new Plantronics headset it doesn't have the battery life of my sennheiser.

Last edited:

jamosjamos

Apr 16, 2012
Lots to like

I'm coming from an S4.

On the G3, I'm a big fan of the tap to wake/sleep functions. The screen looks sharp and bright to me. The 5.5" screen makes web browsing easier and games more fun. Video is more watchable too.

The G3 is bigger and it's heavier than the S4. It definitely feels like a bigger device. I'm still getting used to holding it and 1 hand operation is not quite as easy. The larger screen is definitely worth it though.

Sound, through the speaker, is loud enough, but not quite as clear as the S4 IMO. I plan to do some sound mods, so my opinion may change after mod.

Battery life is very good. I can easily get through my average day with juice to spare. I did kill most of the bloatware and I'm running stuff to kill background apps.

markwebb

I received mine a few days ago. Yes, it is heavier and bigger than S4 and 2014 MotoX but I do like the more natural looking screen than the saturated SuperAmoled.

However, I am completely underwhelmed by this phone. I was expecting far better. :( It does lag. But, it lags less when using Google Home Launcher as opposed to Stock launcher. Moreover, the 2014 Moto X FLIES in comparison and is the definite speed champ.

Camera is better than the Moto X but still feel it isn't the best. It is acceptable.

Software interface is a step or two above TouchWiz. In fact, Sense 6 is the better interface overall if I had to choose.. Not crazy about it but is workable. I really prefer pure Android,

Call quality is average but not great. It has that robotic quality to it like the S4, and just not as good as the Moto or even the HTC One Max.

Last but not least, for some reason, my battery life is terrible and is on par with the weak Moto X battery life. Now, I did buy the L3 on Swappa and perhaps it may need a new battery, but I am glad it is removable. Just may have to pony up for an extra.

So, overall, I am a bit disappointed. I was expecting to be bowled over but wasn't. Good phone, yes, especially at almost half price! Best phone, maybe not.

Last edited:

Fuse8499

Jul 4, 2009
Huawei Nexus 6P
That's interesting that you're underwhelmed. It was the exact opposite for me. I had already owned a G2 and figured upgrading to the G3 wasn't really worth it. I was going to get the Note 4 but a G3 owner talked me out of it. So I took the plunge and couldn't be happier. I was experiencing a little lag on the stock ROM. I'm currently running a custom ROM and this baby is flying. With me, I think I expected to be disappointed with the G3. Turns out I'm glad I upgraded to it. I love it just as much as I loved my G2.

R

random571

Try a custom ROM based off stock to help kill the lag. This phone is pretty easy to root with stump, and flash a recovery into. The whole process can be done in @ 15min using 2 apps. I'm running Jasmine 3.0 with xposed modules installed and I charge my battery every day and a half or so. Stock eats your battery a lot.
If you don't want to do a rom, at least use stump root to get root and install xposed framework. Then you can add on all the tweaks you want. G3 tweaksbox, greenify & amplify for battery, etc...
Just read the xda forums so you can get the most out of your device. Its a really great device once you tweak it a little bit.

markwebb

Try a custom ROM based off stock to help kill the lag. This phone is pretty easy to root with stump, and flash a recovery into. The whole process can be done in @ 15min using 2 apps. I'm running Jasmine 3.0 with xposed modules installed and I charge my battery every day and a half or so. Stock eats your battery a lot.
If you don't want to do a rom, at least use stump root to get root and install xposed framework. Then you can add on all the tweaks you want. G3 tweaksbox, greenify & amplify for battery, etc...
Just read the xda forums so you can get the most out of your device. Its a really great device once you tweak it a little bit.

Thanks but already have done all of what you suggested... and I live on XDA if you check my posts. :)
Now, I just upgraded my 2014 pure edition moto x this afternoon to 5.0 and love it! Phone is smooth, fast with improved camera and battery life!
Perhaps the lg g3 will also respond as such, but the interface may be the culprit. Let's hope it doesn't stunt 5.0!

Sent from my HTC One Max on Adrenaline Rom using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I thought I'd post a quick review for anyone considering a Verizon G3. I'm sure others have reviews to give as well. My last 2 phones were the Verizon S3 and Verizon S4. I also had many HTC phones going back to WM.

Battery life - at first I'd say it was comparable to my S4 but then I went to all applications and disabled a bunch that were on after I activated my phone - now the battery life is great - I've had it on but unused and uncharged since last night (1 push email account - no texting, no imdb, no calls) and it only went down 5% in 12 hours (BT enabled, WIFI disabled). The screen activity does seem to use more battery life than my S4 and so does GPS. Otherwise phone talk time seems to have about the same battery drain. I only use BT for making calls so BT is on 24x7. FYI I just got the Plantronics EDGE and it is amazing (I also have the Sennheiser presence which has better battery life but overall I like the Edge much more.

Charging - the phone is picky about chargers. I've used the same chargers I've had for years for my Nexus, S3, S4, Plantronics and Sennheiser headsets but the G3 said it wasn't acceptable and wouldn't use it to charge. On the plus side the included charger does seem to charge it quickly. Biggest disappointment - that it didn't come with a wireless charging backplate.

Signal strength - I'd say it has only slightly better voice signal reception than the S4 but every bit helps (e.g. calls from the cement garage beneath my apartment complex). Data seems a teeny bit slower though when running speedtest. I haven't done enough testing for this to be an accurate or detailed analysis.

Overlay - I have to say it seems zippy enough to me and as user friendly as the Samsung although different so it takes a teeny bit of getting used to - except the back arrow - that took a lot since it is on the opposite side from where my thumb automatically tried to go when I wanted to go back.

Screen - great size. I don't think the contrast is as sharp as the S4 - you can say it is color saturation or whatever you want - in the end it still means some things are as well separated. There is a color adjustment some say impacts contrast but what it does is adjust colors - not contrast IMHO.

Buttons - I thought I'd really freak out about not having the hard buttons where I had in the past but that was easier to get used to than the back button - I'm finally used to both though.

Bloat ware - both Samsung and LG have some apps I'd love to just uninstall but until you root them, you are stuck with the crap although most of it you can disable. Health was the very first thing I would uninstall if I could.

Issues - no issues so far other than the charging one. No reboots or hangs. My guess is that people are installing an app that doesn't play well with the G3 or perhaps the current version of Android. I admit I don't have more than 15 apps I install myself. The only ones I really care about are truecaller(mediocre call blocker/id app), Tesla (flashlight), call history, cal widget (calendar for home screen) and the rest are items I only use occasionally - e.g. ip calcs, where's my car, speedtest etc. I tried some live wallpapers and went back to static ones - attempting to keep every bit of battery life. I had a hard time pairing my BT headset with my new phone - perhaps there is something different about the process on the G3 - I ended up using NFC and it worked instantly.

Conclusion - I like the phone a lot although I'm sure the S5 would have been an excellent choice as well. I like the screen size on this a bit more but I like the contrast on the Samsung screen. I notice the difference in large 4K TVs right away but for a screen of this size the S4 resolution was fine. You really have to look to notice the difference.
    I guess you wanted us to chime in as well? Here's my review...

This is the second phone I’ve purchased without seeing it first. I have to say it’s a great phone, but if you’re looking to pay full price to keep your unlimited data, then I do not feel it’s worth the $600+ if you already have a premier device. I’d go so far as to say, if you have a G2, I wouldn’t upgrade to the G3. The differences between the two are not that big in my opinion. Since I was able get the phone for $99+ activation fee and tax, I do feel that it is well worth that price to upgrade from any device that you are unhappy with.

Screen – If you love AMOLED, you’ll hate this screen. It’ll seem washed out to you and not as crisp. If you hate AMOLED, you’ll love this screen. It’s that simple. AMOLED screen always seem to have that “In Your Face” feeling to me. They actually hurt my eyes and I’ve never been a fan of them. After spending years in the Motorola line, I never got used to a sharp display. The toned down QHD display of the G3 is perfect for my eyes even when it’s 100%.

Battery – A lot has been said about the battery life on this phone. The screen does pull down the battery more than other phones, but it still lasts all day. That’s all I care about. Can I get through an entire day with the phone? If so, then the battery is good. I typically watch a little NetFlix, read some emails, play a few games, maybe turn on the hotspot for a little browsing with my tablet, then go to bed with it around 20-30%. As far as I’m conserved, that’s good battery life.

Size – My opinion, this is one of the best features of this phone. The 5.5” display does not feel like it’s that big because the phone is not that much bigger than its predecessor the G2. The thin bezels are a thing of beauty and most of what you see is the screen, not blank real-estate. However, the bottom bezel is just big enough that it works great for holding the phone while playing games without touching the screen.

Software – While the Android software is pretty much the same 4.4.2 that LG put out for the G2, they have added a few features that work well with the bigger screen. QSlide is a nice feature and one, which if you remember it’s there, can be very useful. It allows you to open an app in front of the current app as a window. Of course there’s only certain apps this works with. I am mixed about the SmartTips. I haven’t seen anything that is useful to me, but maybe I don’t need anything “Smart” enabled? As for Smart Bulletin Screen, I turned it off. It would have been better if they had designed a “Blinkfeed” style window here instead of a combination screen for SmartTips and LG Health.

IR Blaster – This one is finicky. I found that the IR port had to be directly facing the equipment to work. I most cases, you have to point it right at the device and not in the general direction. For me, it’s not a big deal as I really never used it on the M8.

Camera – I love the camera. It’s basically the same one from the G2 and I loved the G2’s camera. I haven’t really noticed any difference in the focus speed of the camera, so I am not sure if the laser focus is a gimmick or not, but the camera itself works just as you’d expect and it is right up there with the premier phones of today.

Signal – I do wish LG had improved the radios. I went around with the G2 and G3 reading decibels in different areas. I saw no difference between the two phones leading me to wonder if they even did anything to the G3’s radios. SpeedTest were also identical and I live in an xLTE environment. I have even had the G3 slip into 3G mode where the G2 always stayed in 4G. I’d have to say this is the biggest disappointment for me. (If it continues to slip into 3G mode in certain areas, then I will consider switching back to the G2.)

Conclusion: If you’re looking to move from the latest and greatest phone (IE: HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5, or even the LG G2), I would advise against it. There’s just no noticeable upgrade from today’s premier devices. However, if you’re unhappy with your current phone, then the G3 is one to consider. I do believe that this phone will be my main carry device for the next year or so. Well, maybe until the iPhone 6 is released…
    Can you tell me what are L and ART?
    Android L is the newest Android release coming this fall, it's currently released as a beta but will most likely be android version 5.0 (currently 4.4.4). Art is a runtime for apps, it improves speed and such but also requires more storage per app. You can manually activate ART but it's not finished (phones currently use Dalvik). it'll be the the default runtime for Android L and will finally be stable as well. Battery life will also jump up around 36% because android L and ART manage apps / the phone far better.