present NFC application & uses

Search This thread

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
At the moment there doesn't seems to be way to do it in the app itself, you'll have to contact the developer. But when I used the phone on a tag when silent mode is on there was no noise, so maybe you can use tasker to silence it right before and enable sound right after.

To the other guy just buy them, I bought 5 from ebay for 5$ and at the moment got no use for 4 of them.
Try using the following TAG app, it's got a lot of features, try the free version and if it works for you you can purchase the full version.
NFC Retag (in the parket)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1477138
This app doesn't actually write anything to the tag, it reads the TAGS' id and then peforms task that you specifiy. Very good.

I have been following Skyrocket development from day one, and yet I am confused about the push for NFC in current ROMs.

How is everyone using NFC with their Skyrocket at the present time? Certainly I understand the potential future uses for NFC -retail, data, ect; but what functionality does it serve anyone now?
I purchased 5 blank TAGS (that you can put on a key chain) from tagstand. They are very inexpesnive ($1.29/each).

I use 3 of them in the following way:
nightstand: turns off all sounds, turns off wifi, turn off bluetooth.
car: turns on bluetooth, launches the music app, turns all sounds up to full volume
work: turns bluetooth off, sets all sounds to 0 and puts phone on silent/vibrate.

If you guys have the Mastercard/Visa with PAYPASS you can test your NFC using your credit card. Remember NFC has a very small transmission signal. So you actually have to be touching the NFC tag/CreditCard to the back of the phone.

smalis

Sep 3, 2010
At the moment there doesn't seems to be way to do it in the app itself, you'll have to contact the developer. But when I used the phone on a tag when silent mode is on there was no noise, so maybe you can use tasker to silence it right before and enable sound right after.

To the other guy just buy them, I bought 5 from ebay for 5$ and at the moment got no use for 4 of them.

Is it the app itself making the noise, or it is the Android NFC system reading the tag? I think it is the latter, because the phone still makes the noise when I read a tag with NFC Task Launcher uninstalled.

Last edited:

kishke

Feb 28, 2012
Alfe Menashe
Try using the following TAG app, it's got a lot of features, try the free version and if it works for you you can purchase the full version.
NFC Retag (in the parket)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1477138
This app doesn't actually write anything to the tag, it reads the TAGS' id and then peforms task that you specifiy. Very good.

I actually tried it and saw it only checks for the tag's id, didn't like the limited functionality of it. Also on nfc task launcher you can use switches and stuff, I dont have much need for it yet so I didn't explore it so much, maybe next year when I'll start my MSc.

Is it the app itself making the noise, or it is the Android NFC system reading the tag? I think it is the latter, because the phone still makes the noise when I read a tag with NFC Task Launcher uninstalled.

You seem to be right I froze the app and the phone still did the noise, I'll try snooping around and figure how to turn it off.

smalis

Sep 3, 2010
After searching the internet a bit there's no current solution, my second option was to mess with the sound file now I just gotta find it, got any general direction?

Edit: while trying to find the file I found this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21857196&postcount=524

SOLVED!

NFC.apk has 3 ogg files in res\raw: start.ogg, end.ogg, and error.ogg. The start sound plays first, then either the end sound if success or the error sound if no success. I opened each file in Audacity, did Edit|Silence Audio, and saved (i.e., exported the file). I replaced the original sound files with the silenced sound files, and now my NFC is totally silent. And, since NFC Task Launcher has a sound/silent/vibrate option, I now have total control over my NFC notifications.

The modded sound files and the modded NFC.apk are in the attached zip, if anyone wants them. NFC.apk goes into system/app, with rw-r--r-- permissions. Or, use the modded sound files on your own NFC.apk. Mine shows an August 1, 2008 date in properties, if that helps.

NANDROID, and BACK UP your original NFC.apk, just in case.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Attachments

• NFC.zip
    262.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Software Guy

Jan 18, 2012
This thread is great. I'm going to order a few tags to mess around with. Just what I need, something else as a hobby....

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
SOLVED!

NFC.apk has 3 ogg files in res\raw: start.ogg, end.ogg, and error.ogg. The start sound plays first, then either the end sound if success or the error sound if no success. I opened each file in Audacity, did Edit|Silence Audio, and saved (i.e., exported the file). I replaced the original sound files with the silenced sound files, and now my NFC is totally silent. And, since NFC Task Launcher has a sound/silent/vibrate option, I now have total control over my NFC notifications.

The modded sound files and the modded NFC.apk are in the attached zip, if anyone wants them. NFC.apk goes into system/app, with rw-r--r-- permissions. Or, use the modded sound files on your own NFC.apk. Mine shows an August 1, 2008 date in properties, if that helps.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Yep thanks for taking the time to do and post this. I'm not sure if I will need it but it is nice to have the option to silence the NFC apk if it is needed and obviously others needed it alot. Again, thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A quick example. I have a nfc tag sitting on my nightstand. At night when I go to bed I set my phone on the tag. It automatically turns my wifi off, turns my alarm on, and turns the night mode clock on. Its really neat stuff. Paying with NFC (which we can't do yet) is only scratching the surface when it comes to this technology. If your interested more Google search it. There is tons of stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
    After searching the internet a bit there's no current solution, my second option was to mess with the sound file now I just gotta find it, got any general direction?

Edit: while trying to find the file I found this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21857196&postcount=524

SOLVED!

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    Funny story. Its actually a rewards tag for a gas station I frequently visit. You just scan the tag at checkout, I'm sure you've seen something like it before. I was just thinking about it one day and came to the conclusion that the tag had to be NFC. So I stuck it to my phone but the pre installed NFC app just kept force closing, so I downloaded one from the market and it worked. I can read and write to it no problem. :) however my wife has a similiar tag for a different store and I can read it but I cannot write to it :( as for blank tags just Google search "blank NFC tags".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
    I was using sky ics at the time. There are a few roms that have it enabled. As for apps look at the screen shot from market. I've palyed with most of them. I haven't however purchased any blank tags. I think im gonna look into that :)

Sent from my pocket rocket
    Thnks cdshepherd for the news and that made me try NFC and it Worked!!!

I am using Sky ICS and i can scan my VISA card. Cool as hell!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D