[Q] Need help upgrading hboot

Search This thread

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Hello all,

Just before anyone says, I have looked for a few hours for the answer to this question, but all of the answers are either ambiguous or too complicated for a novice like me to understand :p.

The question I have is how do you upgrade the hboot of a rooted international HTC One X (step by step). I really want to flash CM 10.1 custom ROM, and it requires a newer hboot than the one I have. I have found a tool called JBFWFlasher, which can upgrade an hboot, but it says when you go through the steps: AFTER UPGRADE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO INSTALL A FULLY FUNCTIONAL NON-SENSE BASED ROM.

Obviously CM 10.1 is non-sense based, so I think this is a dead end.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance :laugh:.

Details:

Hboot: 1.12.0000
Clockworkmod: v5.8.4.0
Cyanogenmod: 10

Reactions: khangster1406

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Get your CID

CID getter from the playstore will do, for the easy/lazy people or do the fastboot command

Fastboot oem readcid

Once you have ypur cid you go here and get your matching firmware

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957376

And then you do this :

Rename the .zip to firmware.zip and place it in the fastboot folder

- Boot the phone to the bootloader and relock the bootloader :

Fastboot oem lock

- then put the phone in ruu mode with this command

Fastboot oem rebootRUU

(watch the capitals, this command will put the phone into a black screen with a silver HTC logo)

- then flash the firmware

Fastboot flash zip firmware.zip

- you see the text on the pc screen, when it says OKE you are good. If it failed you reflash the zip right away again.

Then reboot the bootloader, unlock it, flash the custom recovery, make a full wipe and install the new JB of ypur choice and don't forget to flash its boot.img too

Last edited:

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Thanks, you couldn't have made that explanation simpler :laugh:. So, because I am an idiot and I somehow have no fastboot folder, what are all the components I need for it?

At the moment I have:

The latest CM 10.1 zip folder
^^^ The boot.img copied from this folder
The latest gapps zip folder for CM 10.1 & Android 4.2.2
The CID when I get it

Anything else? Thanks for the help :D.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
You need the ANDROID SDK BUNDLE ..... Unpack it and inside the platform tools you find the fastboot files. That is your fastboot folder.

Or use a JB firmware flasher.

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Also, one other thing, when I just went and got the zip from the link you posted, the download was off of Android Revolution HD. Just thought that I'd check, this won't mean I can only use this ROM will it? CM 10.1 will work fine?

Not trying to be awkward, I just don't want to get this wrong :confused:.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
First you need your cid otherwise you don't know what you need to download !

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
You need the ANDROID SDK BUNDLE ..... Unpack it and inside the platform tools you find the fastboot files. That is your fastboot folder.

Or use a JB firmware flasher.

Is it this? http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

I have it downloading now :). When I have the fastboot folder and the other parts I mentioned, is that all I need to be able to change the hboot, re-unlock bootloader, re flash CWM (oh yeah I need that as well :silly:) and install CM 10.1.

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it :D.

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
First you need your cid otherwise you don't know what you need to download !

Yeah, I did the CID and found it was HTC__001, I then went on to download that zip for hboot 1.39 and that is when the android revolution page popped up. Just thought I should check with the guru first :laugh:.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Oke yes that's correct .....

Yep then you have it all. Also put the unlock code.bin file (the one you got in the mail from htc the first time you unlocked the bootloader) into the fastboot folder.

Follow all the steps i wrote earlier and it will be fine

How to flash ?

Open a command window from inside the fastboot folder . Hold shift and point in the folder then right click the mouse and select : open command window here

From that dos command window you type all the FASTBOOT commands.

Last edited:

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
After the update you can install any rom here you like.

Yeah unpack the bundle to a folder where you can find it .... then follow the steps !

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Knew I'd spoken too soon. In program-tools, fastboot is an application, not a folder, and when I click it it does nothing. Is there any stock fastboot folder I can get from anywhere? :confused:

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Common mistake ! You need to open the command window inside that folder with the fastboot.exe file !

Like i mentioned about 2-3 posts back.

Don't double click the fastboot.exe file it does indeed do nothing !

Reactions: Havoc2510

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Common mistake ! You need to open the command window inside that folder with the fastboot.exe file !

So can I copy this individual file into C: drive and use it as a 'base' file to store all the CM10.1 folder and stuff?
I should probably stop bugging you now, its midnight lol :D

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Yeah this is my last reply and then im off to bed ! Its 1 o clock here now :p

The cm10.1 and the Gapps go onto the sdcard of the phone

In the fastboot folder you need :

- firmware.zip
- unlock code.bin
- boot.img from the cm10.1
- custom recovery.img

And then you start......if you are uncomfortable with all this we can also do this all with teamviewer tomorrow evening ? If you like ! :thumbup:

Reactions: Havoc2510

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Yeah this is my last reply and then im off to bed ! Its 1 o clock here now :p

The cm10.1 and the Gapps go onto the sdcard of the phone

In the fastboot folder you need :

- firmware.zip
- unlock code.bin
- boot.img from the cm10.1
- custom recovery.img

And then you start......if you are uncomfortable with all this we can also do this all with teamviewer tomorrow evening ? If you like ! :thumbup:

Cool, I'll give this a go in the morning. Thanks again for the help :laugh:.

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Get your CID

CID getter from the playstore will do, for the easy/lazy people or do the fastboot command

Fastboot oem readcid

And then you do this :

Fastboot oem lock

Fastboot oem rebootRUU

(watch the capitals, this command will put the phone into a black screen with a silver HTC logo)

- you see the text on the pc screen, when it says OKE you are good. If it failed you reflash the zip right away again.

Then reboot the bootloader, unlock it, flash the custom recovery, make a full wipe and install the new JB of ypur choice and don't forget to flash its boot.img too

Thanks, all of this worked well. It did fail the first time, but then I did it again and all is good :).

I am at the point now where I just flashed the zip and need to reboot the bootloader and unlock etc. Please can you tell me all the command prompt commands from here as I am a bit lost at the moment. Thanks :laugh:.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Hold the power button and the volume - button as long as it takes to reboot into the bootloader. Check if your hboot has changed. Then unlock it

Fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin

After unlocking you flash the newcustom recovery

Fastboot erase cache
Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Fastboot erase cache

Then flash the new boot.img from the new rom you want to flash

Fastboot flash boot boot.img
Fastboot erase cache

Then enter the recovery and make a full wipe and install the new rom

Havoc2510

Dec 3, 2012
Hold the power button and the volume - button as long as it takes to reboot into the bootloader. Check if your hboot has changed. Then unlock it

Fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin

After unlocking you flash the newcustom recovery

Fastboot erase cache
Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Fastboot erase cache

Then flash the new boot.img from the new rom you want to flash

Fastboot flash boot boot.img
Fastboot erase cache

Then enter the recovery and make a full wipe and install the new rom

Thanks! Worked exactly as prompted :). Thanks for all the help, android 4.2.2 is awesome :laugh:.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Get your CID

Fastboot oem readcid

And then you do this :

Fastboot oem lock

Fastboot oem rebootRUU

Yep then you have it all. Also put the unlock code.bin file (the one you got in the mail from htc the first time you unlocked the bootloader) into the fastboot folder.

Follow all the steps i wrote earlier and it will be fine

How to flash ?

Open a command window from inside the fastboot folder . Hold shift and point in the folder then right click the mouse and select : open command window here

From that dos command window you type all the FASTBOOT commands.
    Hello all,

Just before anyone says, I have looked for a few hours for the answer to this question, but all of the answers are either ambiguous or too complicated for a novice like me to understand :p.

The question I have is how do you upgrade the hboot of a rooted international HTC One X (step by step). I really want to flash CM 10.1 custom ROM, and it requires a newer hboot than the one I have. I have found a tool called JBFWFlasher, which can upgrade an hboot, but it says when you go through the steps: AFTER UPGRADE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO INSTALL A FULLY FUNCTIONAL NON-SENSE BASED ROM.

Obviously CM 10.1 is non-sense based, so I think this is a dead end.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance :laugh:.

Details:

Hboot: 1.12.0000
    Clockworkmod: v5.8.4.0
    Cyanogenmod: 10

Ok, so it won't mean that I can only install Android Revolution HD? Better to be safe :).

Also, the ADT Bundle just finished downloading, and I'm extracting fastboot to C: drive at the moment. Thanks for the help, is that all I need to do? (seems too easy...) :laugh: