Omate Truesmart

Search This thread

mcteague

Dec 22, 2008
Stevenage
I've pledged for developers edition, this looks fantastic, tethered or standalone.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omate/omate-truesmart-water-resistant-standalone-smartwa

SPECIFICATIONS:

Dual Core Cortex A7 – 1.3GHz
Omate UI 1.0 / Android 4.2.2
1.54’’ TFT by LG display (240 x 240) 238 PPI
Multi-touch Capacitive Touch Screen
Connectivity capabilities:
+ 2G GSM: GPRS class 12 EDGE Multi-Slot Class 12
+ 3G WCDMA: HSPA 7.2Mbps/5.76Mbps
+ WiFi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
+ Bluetooth 4.0
GPS
Embedded 5Mpixel camera
Audio Speaker & Microphone
Memory: 512MB + 4GB + (expandable by microSD 8/16/32GB) 1GB ram as extra $20 upgrade
Micro SIM card
600 mAh battery: up to 100 hours standby time
Messaging Hub: SMS/MMS/Email/SNS
G-sensor, E-Compass, Gyroscope, IP67
Vibration alert
Full set of pre-qualified Android applications, Playstore soon i hope!
Over-the-Air (OTA) system firmware update

The TS Guide:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2510696

Last edited:

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis

mcteague

Dec 22, 2008
Stevenage
It looks awesome! The only thing I see that I don't like is the battery. "Up to 100 hours standby time" is only 4 days without any use at all... so more than likely, it'll be a "charge every day" appliance, again. :(

Yeah the jury is still out on that one, good thing is they're taking suggestions on for final design. I drive a van all day so handsfree answering etc is great and when I'm delivering shopping to the 17th floor it's great to have a phone with me. Only time will tell but funding is going great.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk 4

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
This looks very promising. Videos of physical units is great, I believe they are good on their promise. At $200, sure, I've backed a developers unit. I'll report back in October =P

Reactions: ClearD

Devray

Aug 25, 2010
I have pledged to developer Edition too and hope that are the preloaded apps from the basic edition are available for the development edition over the website or omate appshop.

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 4

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
More info in first post would be useful.
Like my thread here:
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ew-omate-truesmart-smartwatch-20-kickstarter/

You can copy mine if you want.

Just to reply to your question in that other thread (makes no sense for me to register in there just for that) - why Pebble got 10M while Omate only at 350k? Pebble was an early bird and had a great marketing. I personally use MetaWatch (STRATA and FRAME) and can't imagine going through a day without a smart watch since my Note 2 stays in my pocket and I get all my notifications right on my wrist (thanks to Augments Pro app), I never miss calls anymore, I can control my UE Boom speaker while in the pool under water from my watch, and so on :) MetaWatch was one of the first out of the door, but poor marketing and software support brought it down. On the other hand Pebble had a brilliant marketing technique, raised a lot of money, sold a lot of units which enables them to hire more software developers or enjoy benefits of free apps developed by others. What came next? Agent SmartWatch (wireless charging), Kreyos Meteor (gesture control), HOT Smartwatch (talking by placing your hand to your ear), and so on. Now market is saturated with all kinds of smartwatches, people are getting confused. Oh, and on top of that - on Sept 4th Samsung will announce Gear (and that is confirmed by Samsung, also with Note 3 introduction). Plus, quite possible on Sept 10th Apple could announce iWatch.

Omate kickstarter campaign has a very bad timing being right in the middle of all these smartwatch announcements. Plain and simple. Especially anticipation of Samsung Gear which took away a lot of momentum from Omate.

But with all that said, I think the idea of Omate is fantastic. There is no room for a phone when you go to the gym or biking or active outdoors. That would be a perfect solution to take out sim card from your phone and load into a watch while leaving my Note 2 at home. Or continue using it tethered at work where it will function as a regular smart watch.

One thing I'm confused, on their kickstarter page they say "3G mono" while you have it listed in your post as 3G CDMA. I'm on Verizon, and do need CDMA. Hopefully it will support it.

mcteague

Dec 22, 2008
Stevenage
Just to reply to your question in that other thread (makes no sense for me to register in there just for that) - why Pebble got 10M while Omate only at 350k? Pebble was an early bird and had a great marketing. I personally use MetaWatch (STRATA and FRAME) and can't imagine going through a day without a smart watch since my Note 2 stays in my pocket and I get all my notifications right on my wrist (thanks to Augments Pro app), I never miss calls anymore, I can control my UE Boom speaker while in the pool under water from my watch, and so on :) MetaWatch was one of the first out of the door, but poor marketing and software support brought it down. On the other hand Pebble had a brilliant marketing technique, raised a lot of money, sold a lot of units which enables them to hire more software developers or enjoy benefits of free apps developed by others. What came next? Agent SmartWatch (wireless charging), Kreyos Meteor (gesture control), HOT Smartwatch (talking by placing your hand to your ear), and so on. Now market is saturated with all kinds of smartwatches, people are getting confused. Oh, and on top of that - on Sept 4th Samsung will announce Gear (and that is confirmed by Samsung, also with Note 3 introduction). Plus, quite possible on Sept 10th Apple could announce iWatch.

Omate kickstarter campaign has a very bad timing being right in the middle of all these smartwatch announcements. Plain and simple. Especially anticipation of Samsung Gear which took away a lot of momentum from Omate.

But with all that said, I think the idea of Omate is fantastic. There is no room for a phone when you go to the gym or biking or active outdoors. That would be a perfect solution to take out sim card from your phone and load into a watch while leaving my Note 2 at home. Or continue using it tethered at work where it will function as a regular smart watch.

One thing I'm confused, on their kickstarter page they say "3G mono" while you have it listed in your post as 3G CDMA. I'm on Verizon, and do need CDMA. Hopefully it will support it.

I have 2 numbers but only change them about when I'm nrarlyvout of mobile data, but this watch means I can use both at the sometime using watch for emailing, texting and calls and my Z Ultra for gaming reading etc.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk 4

|SavageD|

Dec 7, 2012
I am drooling for this watch.

But i hope they change the design. Like the motoactv i'd like a detachable watch face for bike mounts, arm strap etc.

Jackering

Mar 30, 2013
Leicester
www.twitter.com
Backed the Dev version.

Received the flashing tool, drivers, and a SN Write Tool earlier today, Which also included an NDA Agreement.

4duCS.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I really don't want to clean this thread, I see a lot of information mixed in with some "disrespectful" posts. It is important to note that until the watch is actually released to the public, any of its specifications are subject to change. Some people may even know the current exact specifications, but may not be able to freely disseminate that information. I know it can be frustrating not to get your questions answered, but it is also frustrating for the people who are covered by non-disclosure agreements that keep them from fully answering your questions.

Please, absolutely: No more name calling. No more sarcastic posts. No more flaming. No more trolling.

Thanks!
    Well hello world.... :)

Hey, just stopping in to say hello and to introduce myself to those who may not know who I am. I have been working on reverse engineering android security for a few years now, I created a couple of the root exploits for older devices before becoming a member of CyanogenMod as a device maintainer/developer. Any info on my past work can easily be obtained via a google search of my screen name here, which is also my twitter and G+ name as well. I hope to get my hands on a unit soon to begin playing with the True Smart and have been approved for a VID device so I am here for the haul. Thanks Omate True Smart and especially Lokifish Marz for bringing me on board!! Glad to be part of the team. :good: :cool:
    As far as the attacks and insults. not in the mood to put up with this. If this continues I will send back the TrueSmarts sent to my by both Omate and XDA and call it a day.

Development Offtopic: In the wise and insightful words of The Oatmeal

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1604424_10153763765960078_427246347_n.png

Please don't get drawn by a troll. Think of all the users that really appreaciate and respect your work ("your" as in YOU and EVERYBODY that makes a single step developing for this or any other device, or just gives a warm "thanks" to fuel this forward movement)

When your mood is on the Red Zone, just switch to other web site (www.thechive.com works well for me) or just get and see what your child is doing (that DOESN'T always work for me, mine are older and restless ;)
    There. I have answered ever question you have ever asked in this thread. As far as the attacks and insults. not in the mood to put up with this. If this continues I will send back the TrueSmarts sent to my by both Omate and XDA and call it a day.

Lokifish, I'm a long time user of xda-dev's and that is due to developers like you. I'm a very infrequent poster as i prefer to listen to those who know more than I do rather than post just for the sake of it. So all i'm saying is without you and other dev's we normal users would be lost. I'm very much looking forward to receiving my TS but living with it won't be the same without you. Please ignore the useless posters around here and elsewhere and be aware that many of us appreciate the work you've done and hopefully will continue to do.
    Hopefully someone from Omate will appear on this thread.. you never know, they've been very good with the community so far.

Some more good news, they got USB working over the waterproof connector earlier so that makes life a LOT easier.

And here we are, thanks for having us! We'll gladly interact with you guys and answer any questions you might have. XDA being a hardcore development community some questions might require our hardcore techs to act as our lifeline but we'll try and give you timely answers!