Problems after emmc KitKat rom install nook HD+

Search This thread

bupkus

Mar 4, 2014
To preface: History--I have some experience installing tenderloin mods for hp Touchpad. More currently, I spent 2 days reading about first, an SD Install for my nook HD+, and then an emmc install for same. I felt ready to go forward but did not prove a smooth process.

To date, I have verygreen's process executed with the following issues:
Failed gapps install...I believe.
Notification of processes being stopped, ie, clock.
Cannot log onto Play Store--"Authentication is required. You need to sign into your Google Account. Retry" Pressing Retry loops back to same message.

Oddness or unexpected results:
I expected all my apps and accounts to disappear with Rom install but all and perhaps more exist. My gmail app and account opens with emails from time before install but no new downloads since. Internet works as wi-fi connected fine.

Procedures that got me into this pickle:
1. Using Pretec 8GB Class 10 Micro SDHC, which btw my nook found fairly easily, I used the following sw to prep and populate it for install.
a. win32diskimager-v0.9-binary
b. sdcard-cwm-early9.img
which btw reduced my Micro sdhd partition to just the minimal size needed to perform the needed function w/o space for rom or gapps. Grrr
2. Downloaded cm-11-20140303-NIGHTLY-ovation to "download" folder inside nook...yes, I forgot both the cwm-recovery-ovation-6 and the gapps.
3. Began to install NIGHTLY and rebooted but as you probably expected it stopped at "nook".
4. Rechecked verygreen's procedure list with facepalm, tried to install forgotten files onto flash mem where there was no room(see above), rebooted into nook to download missing recovery file and pair of gapps files -- pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20140301-signed and pa_gapps-stock-4.4.2-20140301-signed
5. Install begun with boot to flash and then, yes then decided to use cwm to backup pre-existing rom. Tried to backup to /sdcard with following android reply:
SDCARD cwm-based recovery v6.0.4.6
SD Card space free: 6133MB
Backing up boot...
Backup of boot completed.
Backing up system...
Can't mount /system!
6. Perhaps a backup to emmc?
SD Card space free: 4495MB
Backing up boot...
Backup of boot completed
Backing up system...
Can't mount /system!
7. Oh...I'm not done (it was late).
Choose default backup format
tar (default) //why change something I don't understand?
Default backup format set to tar.
CAN'T SEEM TO SOLICIT A WAY TO BACK OUT OF HERE! Later I discover the power button as backout, but until then...
8. free unused backup data
Freeing space...
Done freeing space
Freeing space...
Done freeing space
Choose an image to restore first. The next menu will show you more options.
-2014-03-04.05.37.33/
Advanced Restore -----------Upon reflection, perhaps I shouldn't have proceeded
--Restore boot
--Restore system
--Restore data
--Restore cache
--Restore sd.ext <<== this one looks interesting
Backup & Restore
Yikes! Finally found power button
//Reboot and install of forgotten recovery file, then Rom. Rebooted, downloaded 2 gapps files(see above)
9. SDCARD CWM-based recovery v6.0.4.6
--Couldn't open directory
--Couldn't open directory
No files found.
--Installing: /emmc/0/download/pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20140301-signed.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /int-data/media/0/download/pre_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20140301-signed.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted //Why? File truncated at about 7KB due to bad download
10. Not to be deterred, another download.
SDCARD cwm-based recovery v6.0.4.6
No files found
...Installing: /emmc/0/download/pa_gapps-modular...etc
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
################
//Graphics display
################
PA GApps Full Modular 4.4.2 20140301
Mounting system...
file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop": No such file or directory
E: Error in /int-data/media/;0/download/pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20140301-signed.zip
Installation aborted

I guess what I am hoping for is a forensics examination(but not in depth). I hope the excessive detail can be skimmed for a quick assessment of my nook's status. IOW, is there a simple fix. Should and can I start all over?

Thanks for whatever help is offered.

Last edited:

bupkus

Mar 4, 2014
I have to admit that I didn't expect a response to this post.
I had begun researching a Rom installation for my nook days before my actual attempt but had neglected to open an account where I discovered the 10-post rule. Had I known I would not have been allowed to post into the forum I had studied to make that install I don't think I would have attempted it until much later. Now I am left to post a specific and detailed account into a general topic Q & A forum without any chance to attract a person familiar with a nook HD+ ROM installation. No problem...I'll just get started on learning how to program for Android and installation of Roms and how they are...designed and all the rest.

bupkus

Mar 4, 2014
Solved

I have to admit that I didn't expect a response to this post.
I had begun researching a Rom installation for my nook days before my actual attempt but had neglected to open an account where I discovered the 10-post rule. Had I known I would not have been allowed to post into the forum I had studied to make that install I don't think I would have attempted it until much later. Now I am left to post a specific and detailed account into a general topic Q & A forum without any chance to attract a person familiar with a nook HD+ ROM installation. No problem...I'll just get started on learning how to program for Android and installation of Roms and how they are...designed and all the rest.

Solved:
While lurking around I found this post about rebooting into recovery without using the microSDHC card used during the original install of a CM ROM.
From there I installed the gapps successfully.
Very happy with the way my nook performs now.