[Q] [Questions] Few general questions about gear

Search This thread

MatOak

Apr 12, 2014
Hi,
This is my first post to these fourms so sorry if I sound nooby :p
Im a bit of a noob right now as I only got introduced to the other side of android a week ago (Rooting, Roms etc)
But I think im going to buy the samsung galaxy gear for my own use and to use it to learn about rooting, sideloading etc

(im buying the Gear 1st Gen)

1# Do I have to pair it with a phone to sideload apps, root, and get a custom ROM
What i mean by this is when I get it out of the box do I have to pair it to a phone to get into the interface (Home screen, camera etc)
or can I use the watch without a phone?

2# Does anyone have a list of what devices this will support when I get a custom ROM, Im currently using a galaxy Y (Old but its all I need... for now) will the watch support this when I get a custom ROM and will i have to root my phone to get it to work.

Sorry this is a bit nooby lol

Thanks for reading

-MatOak

nowy57

Nov 3, 2007
Poland
you cannot use it without a pair
I am pretty sure you can connect it to whole android phone include almost custom roms
you need to instal manually gear manager by you (it will not install from google play on custom roms)
you will find instructions on forum as well

Reactions: MatOak

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
Out of the box the gear is absolutely worthless. It will play a demo on how to connect over and over again. It needs to pair before you can play with the camera and etc. You can't even sideload apps since usb debugging can't be enabled yet. However I believe you can enter into the stock recovery and install a new recovery, then custom roms.

There's really not a list of supported devices. It says that it requires android 4.3 or higher on a touchwiz framework rom to work properly. It is possible to connect with non touchwiz roms though. But it's going to take some research and work on your part to do that. Check out the following threads to see what others have done to connect to their devices.

Galaxy Gear and Lg G2

Nexus 5 with KITKAT 4.4.2 and GEAR(null_17 ROM)

I did a quick look at the Galaxy Y and didn't see and 4.3 or higher roms. You might have a huge struggle.

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
1) Yes to sideload apps - (but limited), not really needed to root/custom rom

2) no unofficial list of phones that support (you get a much smaller list from the official samsung device supported list) - gotta do you research on this one - safe to say a lot of the recent samsung phones can be made to work - i.e. S3, S4 note 2, note 3 etc...

Hi,
Im a bit of a noob right now as I only got introduced to the other side of android a week ago (Rooting, Roms etc)
But I think im going to buy the samsung galaxy gear for my own use and to use it to learn about rooting, sideloading etc

1# Do I have to pair it with a phone to sideload apps, root, and get a custom ROM
What i mean by this is when I get it out of the box do I have to pair it to a phone to get into the interface (Home screen, camera etc)

2# Does anyone have a list of what devices this will support when I get a custom ROM, Im currently using a galaxy Y (Old but its all I need... for now) will the watch support this when I get a custom ROM and will i have to root my phone to get it to work.

Thanks for reading

-MatOak

MatOak

Apr 12, 2014
Thanks

Thanks for your Info. Will probably get omate truesmart or wait for android wear. Otherwise thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    you cannot use it without a pair
    I am pretty sure you can connect it to whole android phone include almost custom roms
    you need to instal manually gear manager by you (it will not install from google play on custom roms)
    you will find instructions on forum as well
    Out of the box the gear is absolutely worthless. It will play a demo on how to connect over and over again. It needs to pair before you can play with the camera and etc. You can't even sideload apps since usb debugging can't be enabled yet. However I believe you can enter into the stock recovery and install a new recovery, then custom roms.

There's really not a list of supported devices. It says that it requires android 4.3 or higher on a touchwiz framework rom to work properly. It is possible to connect with non touchwiz roms though. But it's going to take some research and work on your part to do that. Check out the following threads to see what others have done to connect to their devices.

Galaxy Gear and Lg G2

Nexus 5 with KITKAT 4.4.2 and GEAR(null_17 ROM)

I did a quick look at the Galaxy Y and didn't see and 4.3 or higher roms. You might have a huge struggle.
    1) Yes to sideload apps - (but limited), not really needed to root/custom rom

2) no unofficial list of phones that support (you get a much smaller list from the official samsung device supported list) - gotta do you research on this one - safe to say a lot of the recent samsung phones can be made to work - i.e. S3, S4 note 2, note 3 etc...

Hi,

Thanks for reading

-MatOak