[Q] Failed instalation of HD Revolution, bricked phone, no acess with adb, no backup

Search This thread

x3ch0x

May 8, 2014
Zagreb
Hi guys!

This is my first post so hi to all :)

Well, my HTC One became excellent paper weight :S

I was installing Android Revolution HD when at the end of the installation this error poped out "set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed".
I found something about it on xda:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/how-to-fix-a-broken-rom-flash-in-certain-kitkat-roms/

But before I can try that solution I must be able to push SOMETHING on my internal memory. And if I have only performed backup. OH GOD WHY AM I SUCH A TOOL :cyclops:

So I haven't performed a backup because I'm an a idiot. I followed precedure of rooting and instaling custom ROM on youtube but that guy followed instructions from original HD Revolution post except most important part! BACKUP! nandroid backup!

What I have is CWM recovery that can't mount usb drive, adb cant recognize my phone (wont list it with "adb devices"). So I cant in any way access internal SD card SO I CAN PUSH STOCK ROM OR SOMETHING ON TO IT THAT WILL SAVEEEE MEEEEEEE :silly:

I tried fixing adb access but no success. I added "adb_usb.ini" with vendor id in the adb folder like some people that succeeded fixing it. Here is structure of ini file, did I missed something?

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x18D1

But it failed, no devices listing.. ONLY place where my device is recognized is under device manager and ONLY when I plug my phone to PC AND enter CWM recovery. It's listed as "ONE" with yellow exclamation mark. I tried updating drivers with sdk manager and google usb drivers but no success. I installed HTC sync that has drivers but nothing happened. I tried switching PC-s, switching from W8 to W7, switching cables and so on....

So people I'm running out of ideas and sources with ideas xD Is my One trully bricked for good? Or am I DOOOMED :eek:
And sorry about my grammar and so much yelling xD

Thank You all!!!

MorgaNet

Nov 30, 2011
Hi guys!

But it failed, no devices listing.. ONLY place where my device is recognized is under device manager and ONLY when I plug my phone to PC AND enter CWM recovery. It's listed as "ONE" with yellow exclamation mark. I tried updating drivers with sdk manager and google usb drivers but no success. I installed HTC sync that has drivers but nothing happened. I tried switching PC-s, switching from W8 to W7, switching cables and so on....

Thank You all!!!

Why are you installing the Revolution Rom with CWM when it is written in big bold letters that you must have TWRP recovery?

This is your second fault. You have to follow the instructions....

(Sorry for my poor english)

Reactions: x3ch0x

x3ch0x

May 8, 2014
Zagreb
Why are you installing the Revolution Rom with CWM when it is written in big bold letters that you must have TWRP recovery?

Hi! your english is fine if you ask me ;) Hmmm instructions on:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2265618

are stating that you can use recovery of your choice. No mention of team win or clock work. If I'm not mistaken of course!

Can you turn on bootloader? Fastboot is working? Can you change recovery to Twrp 2.6.3.3?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yes I can turn on bootloader, and enter fastboot. Are you suggesting that i try and flash twrp? If so, how can I do that if device isn't discoverable by adb? Unfortunately I'll not be able to try that until this weekend, my friend is trying to fix it xD

And thank you guys!

MorgaNet

Nov 30, 2011

are stating that you can use recovery of your choice. No mention of team win or clock work. If I'm not mistaken of course!

Yes I can turn on bootloader, and enter fastboot. Are you suggesting that i try and flash twrp? If so, how can I do that if device isn't discoverable by adb? Unfortunately I'll not be able to try that until this weekend, my friend is trying to fix it xD

And thank you guys!

I remembered that in the OP Rom Revolution HD was written using the TWRP recovery for installation. Perhaps it is no longer mandatory, but it seems to me that until a short time ago it was. Sorry :p

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
I remembered that in the OP Rom Revolution HD was written using the TWRP recovery for installation. Perhaps it is no longer mandatory, but it seems to me that until a short time ago it was. Sorry :p
Yes it used to be mentioned ... don't have that screenshot anymore, but it could be just an oversight during the last OP edit.

And thank you guys!

Well, if you get "set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed", then the recovery is outdated and doesn't support selinux (needed for 4.4 ROMs), so to save yourself a headache:

get TWRP from:
2.6.3.3: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7
or 2.6.3.4: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul
(make sure MD5 is correct, that site does not play nice with download managers)

2.7.0.4b: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708134

in bootloader/FASTBOOT USB:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then go ahead and install the ROM.

PS: I'm assuming you have an m7_u or m7_ul model!!

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
@x3ch0x

Yes it used to be mentioned ... don't have that screenshot anymore, but it could be just an oversight during the last OP edit

Screenshot of arhd thread before they removed arhd 62:

arhd.jpg

Probably an error when they edited the picture to removed the link for arhd 62

Reactions: x3ch0x and nkk71

x3ch0x

May 8, 2014
Zagreb
Thank You all on your help. I succeeded flashing TWRP as several of you suggested and then installing ARHD. Now everything works perfectly! :victory:

I'll make sure to do nandroid backup in the future, I learned my lesson.
And btw you have nice and very helpful community here.

Best regards,

Matej :highfive:

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Actually it still states TWRP recovery required. It's just further down the page..

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM] Android Revolution HD 62.0 | High Quality & Performance | Android 4.4.2 KitKat | HTC Sense 6.0 | 1.54.401.5 | Tweaks app - Sense 6 final version is live! | Sprint Support | T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling, a ROM for the HTC One

Contributors
mike1986.,*langer hans,*Mikanoshi
ROM OS Version:*4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel:*Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required:*TWRP 2.6.3.3 recovery or newer
Based On:*HTC RUU

Version Information

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @x3ch0x

Yes it used to be mentioned ... don't have that screenshot anymore, but it could be just an oversight during the last OP edit

Screenshot of arhd thread before they removed arhd 62:

arhd.jpg

Probably an error when they edited the picture to removed the link for arhd 62
    Hi guys!

Thank You all!!!

Can you turn on bootloader? Fastboot is working? Can you change recovery to Twrp 2.6.3.3?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

And thank you guys!

Yes it used to be mentioned ... don't have that screenshot anymore, but it could be just an oversight during the last OP edit.

And thank you guys!

Well, if you get "set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed", then the recovery is outdated and doesn't support selinux (needed for 4.4 ROMs), so to save yourself a headache:

get TWRP from:
    2.6.3.3: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7
    or 2.6.3.4: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul
    (make sure MD5 is correct, that site does not play nice with download managers)

2.7.0.4b: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708134

in bootloader/FASTBOOT USB:
    fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

then go ahead and install the ROM.

PS: I'm assuming you have an m7_u or m7_ul model!!