[Q] OTA System Update 1.54.401.10, TWRP , manual install

Search This thread

leonzon

Nov 6, 2010
Hi,

I have rooted my phone ,s-off etc, and I have TWRP.

I am unable to install the update, phone goes to recovery, stops there.

Is there anyway I can download the update and flash it manually , or do i have to go back to stock recovery?

thanks

Saikat.mondol1

Oct 19, 2013
Khulna
Hi,

Is there anyway I can download the update and flash it manually , or do i have to go back to stock recovery?

thanks
I'm not an expert . But I think you can't flash stock Rom from custom recovery. You must do it with Adb commands or what they like to call flash in fastboot mode. And for getting official firmware updates from HTC you need to setup stock recovery. I dunno but you may have to lock boot loader and S-ON too. But not sure. As I said, I'm not an expert

Last edited:

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Hi,

thanks

You need a stock recovery to do OTA updates, won't work with custom recovery.

COLLECTION of Stock Backups See if you can find your stock recovery in that thread. Flash it and then you should be good to go.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I'm not an expert . But I think you can't flash stock Rom from custom recovery. You must do it with Adb commands or what they like to call flash in fastboot mode. And for getting official firmware updates from HTC you need to setup stock recovery. I dunno but you may have to lock boot loader and S-ON too. But not sure. As I said, I'm not an expert

No, if he's S-OFF there is no need to lock bootloader or to go S-ON.

He can just download the recovery stock .img file and flash it through command prompt. When he's done and the phone restarted he should get the OTA update.

Only issue he might run into, if he's rooted he'll lose root access and will have to reroot, it happened to me, but it's not a major issue though.

Michael833

Jun 29, 2008
The Hague
You need a stock recovery to do OTA updates, won't work with custom recovery.

COLLECTION of Stock Backups See if you can find your stock recovery in that thread. Flash it and then you should be good to go.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

He can just download the recovery stock .img file and flash it through command prompt. When he's done and the phone restarted he should get the OTA update.

Only issue he might run into, if he's rooted he'll lose root access and will have to reroot, it happened to me, but it's not a major issue though.

Thanks for the basic outline. Would you be willing to give step by step instructions? I always get nervous when I have to do multiple flashing, rerooting, etc. . .

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Thanks for the basic outline. Would you be willing to give step by step instructions? I always get nervous when I have to do multiple flashing, rerooting, etc. . .

Instructions for? To flash back stock recovery?

1. Download the recovery from the link provided (Make sure it's the correct recovery, correct base number etc)
2. Place the downloaded recovery .img file in the adb folder where fastboot.exe is (by default it'll be in the platform-tools folder) - Though if you did a custom recovery you're probably already familiar with this.
3. Hold shift and right click anywhere in the white area of the folder > go to "open command prompt/window here"
4. Plug usb cable into device and connect up to computer (All familiar surely if you did custom recovery)
5. Commands:
a) adb devices ... to check if device is connected, should see serial number of device.
b) adb reboot bootloader
c) fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img
d) fastboot reboot

Done.

Once the device restarted you should get the prompt for the OTA update(Depending on settings of course), you can then do OTA update.

To get mainversion number for the recovery you need. Just go to software information(in settings menu > about > software information) and check for OS version number or connect device to computer, reboot into bootloader adb reboot bootloader then type fastboot getvar version-main to see main version for device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael833

Saikat.mondol1

Oct 19, 2013
Khulna

Actually, I forgot that. I need to lock boot loader if I'm S-ON but don't need if S-Off

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions for? To flash back stock recovery?

1. Download the recovery from the link provided (Make sure it's the correct recovery, correct base number etc)
    2. Place the downloaded recovery .img file in the adb folder where fastboot.exe is (by default it'll be in the platform-tools folder) - Though if you did a custom recovery you're probably already familiar with this.
    3. Hold shift and right click anywhere in the white area of the folder > go to "open command prompt/window here"
    4. Plug usb cable into device and connect up to computer (All familiar surely if you did custom recovery)
    5. Commands:
    a) adb devices ... to check if device is connected, should see serial number of device.
    b) adb reboot bootloader
    c) fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img
    d) fastboot reboot

Done.

Once the device restarted you should get the prompt for the OTA update(Depending on settings of course), you can then do OTA update.

To get mainversion number for the recovery you need. Just go to software information(in settings menu > about > software information) and check for OS version number or connect device to computer, reboot into bootloader adb reboot bootloader then type fastboot getvar version-main to see main version for device.