Best way/software to disc image the Touch ?

Search This thread

anywhereanytime

Nov 2, 2007
Well, my Touch's screen alignment has gotten so bad that I need warranty repair. Of course, it happened 2 months after I got it, and Sprint will only do a exchange within the first 30 days. I did not get the insurance because I am covered for "all risk" on my homeowners insurance (also, I got the stupid insurance, at $7.50 per month, with the last phone and they only gave me a "refurbished" unit).

Anyway, can the Touch be disc imaged/restored just like a PC and what is the best solution ?

EliteXen

May 24, 2006
Washington DC
Well, my Touch's screen alignment has gotten so bad that I need warranty repair. Of course, it happened 2 months after I got it, and Sprint will only do a exchange within the first 30 days. I did not get the insurance because I am covered for "all risk" on my homeowners insurance (also, I got the stupid insurance, at $7.50 per month, with the last phone and they only gave me a "refurbished" unit).

Anyway, can the Touch be disc imaged/restored just like a PC and what is the best solution ?

Sounds like you're referring to a hard reset. This will clear everything on your windows mobile device and restore it to factory default settings.

Warning make sure to back up anything you want to save because this will clear EVERYTHING on the phone.

if you can get into the settings menu under the system tab select Clear Storage and follow the instructions there. If not then hold both the Call and End Call buttons (green and red) then hit the reset button with your stylus under the touch next to the usb port (this is kinda tricky to do). Your screen will go off for a sec then you'll see a white screen with hard reset instructions. At this time you can let go of the Call and End Call buttons and then press the Center/Action button to hard reset or the Camera button to cancel.

If your only issue is the misaligned screen then it sounds like a hardware problem and this probably won't help but it's worth a shot.

Good Luck
~Xen

anywhereanytime

Nov 2, 2007
Sounds like you're referring to a hard reset. This will clear everything on your windows mobile device and restore it to factory default settings.

Warning make sure to back up anything you want to save because this will clear EVERYTHING on the phone.

~Xen

You misunderstood - I know all about a "hard reset" and that is NOT what I am looking for !!

HTC tech support basically said that a hard reset will not fix this. One way or another, I will probably have to send it in to HTC for repair - I already talked to them. The HTC repair depot is in Long Island and the whole process takes 2 to 3 weeks complete turn-around.

Is there a way to disc image EVERYTHING just like cloning a PC ??

Last edited:

EliteXen

May 24, 2006
Washington DC
You misunderstood - I know all about a "hard reset" and that is NOT what I am looking for !!

HTC tech support basically said that a hard reset will not fix this. One way or another, I will probably have to send it in to HTC for repair - I already talked to them. The HTC repair depot is in Long Island and the whole process takes 2 to 3 weeks complete turn-around.

Is there a way to disc image EVERYTHING just like cloning a PC ??

OK i get it now. You're just looking for a backup software. There are tons out there, Spb Backup is probably one of the most popular

anywhereanytime

Nov 2, 2007
Thanks guys, like most I have added software programs, have a call history, contacts, etc.

Will either of these essentially "clone" my entire Touch or are these primarily "file backup" utilities.

I will find them and read the blurbs ... but do you know from personal experience ??

Red49er

Feb 1, 2008
SPB Backup is definitely the best. As long as you use the same ROM when you get it back (if you never flashed you'll be fine) you can just run the exe it makes and you won't even know the difference. Restores contacts, calendar, software, reg keys, the whole works. Just like a disc image.

anywhereanytime

Nov 2, 2007
SPB Backup is definitely the best. As long as you use the same ROM when you get it back (if you never flashed you'll be fine) you can just run the exe it makes and you won't even know the difference. Restores contacts, calendar, software, reg keys, the whole works. Just like a disc image.

What would you use "if" you flashed the ROM - I have not yet.

Thanks for the input - I am currently leaning toward this app which makes the "cloning" software. I emailed their tech people asking about the functionality and am awaiting a reply.

Anyone with Sprite Backup experiences ?

http://www.spritesoftware.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=191

volwrath

Oct 10, 2006
Nashville

Thanks for the input - I am currently leaning toward this app which makes the "cloning" software. I emailed their tech people asking about the functionality and am awaiting a reply.

http://www.spritesoftware.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=191

You would use either that or nothing :) Ive upgraded ROMs and run a restore sucessfully before, but its a your mileage may very situation

jethro_static

Jan 17, 2008
If ur still lookin, SPB clone is a good one. It' s use to clone company phones so they don't have to install every software and settings on each phones they use. I tried it and it restore everything on my phone. Call logs, sms, settings etc. I cloned my phone for buckup reasons. I accidently clear my storage. I did a hard reset. retore the clone and everything is back. It will clone just the phone memory and storage though. It will not clone your storage card. U can easily copy paste the card contents anyways.

rstoyguy

Jan 6, 2008

I just evaluated this yesterday. Here is what I had problems with:
1. I learned they have a setting to wipe existing data on restore...I only did a one directory restore. Had to hard reset, then restore again.

2. It won't do your Messages. They have a seperate app for that SpriteArchie for $14.99. I use pimbackup after setting up my e-mail accounts.

I think an app like this should restore your e-mail settings and e-mail. I dumped it.

dew.man

Nov 26, 2006
White Lake
SPB Backup is great - does a complete backup/restore of your phone including the registry and all system/user files.

The problem with restoring after a flash/rom update, is that every version of the O/S will have version specific registry entries and system files that will be overwritten upon backup.

So if you're swapping out your phone for one with the same version of the rom, Spb is "the cat's meow" whereas the only reliable solution after a rom update, is to manually reinstall all of your apps/settings...

myriad2

Jan 10, 2008

I'm also wanting to clone my rom. I have a Bell phone and like the way it's setup. I would like to save the my original rom and experiment with new ones, especially when/if the gps and video drivers are released.