Help with CM11 no sound on calls

Search This thread

vegojimbo

May 24, 2014
Hello,

First I apologize for opening a new thread instead of posting in the CM11 thread, but till now I don't have write privileges there.

I recently unlocked and permrooted my Desire HD then installed Mustaavalkosta's CM11, but as a newbie, I have some issues I require assistance with. To note that I did an extensive reading before I did any rooting and installing a new rom.

1- I find myself not hearing anything during calls. It's sort of like my internal speaker got muted somehow after installing CM11. I tried multiple apps to no avail. I read somewhere that if u fail to flash the boot.img in the rom u might get this issue, but thing is I did flash the boot.img after I installed the rom and the recovery and wiped the cache. I can hear the calls with the external speaker turned on and with the headphone, so I think it's not a hardware issue but a software one. Any fix to this?

2- After each restart, the UI somehow resets itself. I mean many of the settings and widgets I use either get reset or vanish like the sleep option in seetings for example (I put the screen to turn off after a 1 min and it resets to 15 sec after each reboot which is annoying as hell). Also, many apps like Dolphin and GoSMSPro shortcuts vanish from the home screen after each reboot, while whatsapp for example doesn't. I'm not able to figure why some app shortcuts vanish while others don't.

3- I tried to use ART instead of dalvik, but yet again after each reboot, dalvik is back. So effectively, I can't benefit from ART.

4- other minor bugs which I will not mention for now till I solve the 3 main ones.

If someone can provide some assistance (mainly for the first issue which is the major one), I will be very grateful. It's becoming increasingly annoying and embarrassing to turn the speaker on every time I receive a call, bc most of the times I am in a room with other individuals or in a meeting, and I am forced to have them hear the conversations bc not always I can excuse myself.

Last edited:

vegojimbo

May 24, 2014
After wiping data, dalvik cache, android secure, etc... and reinstalling the stock rooted 2.3.5 Rom, I still had the same internal speaker issue on calls. The heaphone icon was on even though there were no headphones plugged. I installed 2 widgets (togggleheadset 2 and headphone fix) and the issue was fixed. To note I had this problem back on my unrooted stock Desire HD before I rooted it and upgraded to CM11 BR3 thinking the new rom will fix this problem.

So after I made the calls work on Gingerbread stock rooted rom, I did a clean wipe once more and installed CM11 BR4. The problem reemerged. And the 2 widgets couldn't be redownloaded bc they are not compatible with kitkat. The other issues mentioned in the OP disappeared, only the incall volume issue remained.

I need to mention that many Desire HD owners have had this problem on their Froyo and Gingerbread stock builds, and usually the 2 widgets I mentioned above helped fix the issue. On 4.4.2, it seems some android users have complained of in-speaker audio volume being very low, so maybe this worsens the issue I had instead of fixing it.

I'm leaning to think that it's mostly a software/code issue, otherwise why would the widgets fix the problem on an earlier version if it's hardware related? hence, there could be a workaround for it on Kitkat if someone knowledgeable cares to look at it. Maybe the code turns off the internal speaker or lowers the volume so much it becomes unhearable. The headphone and external speaker are just fine, I can hear the other person in the call without any problem. It's when I rely on the internal speaker that I hear nothing.

Hope someone can offer some assistance here.

Last edited: