GSM working on CM9.

Search This thread

IVAN-ICE

Apr 1, 2012
Rostov-on-Don
Help

Hi! sorry of BIG offtopic, but I need your help. I can't starting gsm module on cyanogenmod 7.2 my device (not LG). If i copy libril-qc-1.so on stok rom android 2.2 output error: dlopen failed: Cannot load library: reloc_library[1318]: 934 cannot locate 'dsc_wds_modify_profile'...
Very much I hope for your help, many thanks. )

Attachments

• radioqc.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 7
  • rild.txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
Ok, I'm back in Ireland now, and my 3 SIM is working fine. I haven't tried any calls yet, but I immediately received a text from 3, and then a settings update message, providing the APN info. 3g data worked immediately after accepting the settings update. The data icon just says 3g, not H, but the phone info shows it's on HSPA.

So, it seems this phone behaves like a lot of other Verizon worldphones, it disables GSM support within the US but works elsewhere.

This is on my basically stock .219 system, with the minor build.prop tweaks and no other changes. (No changes to the ril libraries.)

[Edit] OK, dialed out to one of my other numbers and left a voicemail. It recorded fine, sounds perfect.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, and the new ICS 4.0.4 leak has this string in place and global services work out of the box on overseas networks, but not on US GSM carriers.
Isolating that lock mechanism and disabling it is where I have been focusing my energy.

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
I can second the notion that the voice issues seems to be isolated to the USA; I'm in Canada using Bell and everything is great over 3G. We don't even have the option of using 2G for voice and I have no complaints with either incoming or outgoing calls, or data for that matter.

The only thing I've noticed is that the signal indicator seems to underreport the reception I'm getting.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Oh yeah, and forgot to mention I'm on .219, haven't rolled the dice with the ICS leak.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

highlandsun

Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
One more note: usb tethering won't work unless you have "dun" included in your apn type. Just found this out tonight. Also, the settings / apn editor won't let you set it; I used the sqlite3 binary to set it manually.

Also it appears that roaming is not allowed at all. Still trying to figure that out.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
Here are the zip files for performing the NV edit required without the need for RadioComm. The unlock zip writes the 8 byte string for the GSM band config and the relock zip writes the default configuration back so you can return to stock in the event of problems.

The other pieces of the hack like build.prop edits can be performed manually as per your needs and may not be the same for all users and carriers. There are also edited apns.conf.xml files that have APNs for many more international carriers included and may avoid the need to manually set the APN for your carrier.

I recommend keeping both zips on your sdcard for safety and convenience.

Good luck and please post back your results here with as much info as possible so we can develop clear set of instructions and steps for various carriers and configurations.

Where would I find the edited apns.conf.xml files? Thanks

calebu2

Oct 3, 2010
Dumb question: am i right in thinking i need to install a custom recovery to flash the gsm fix on stock 219?

Or can i flash it using adb?

One of these days ill do this regularly enough to figure it out myself.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
Here are the zip files for performing the NV edit required without the need for RadioComm. The unlock zip writes the 8 byte string for the GSM band config and the relock zip writes the default configuration back so you can return to stock in the event of problems.

We were waiting to release them with a more complete guide once we had worked through the details, but since so many users are trying this and having varying success while I have been unable to make it work properly on my D4 with T Mobile in the US, it seems like a good idea to post these now.

These files will make it easier and safer to perform the NV edits for users who don't want to mess with a complicated and dangerous serviceware app like RadioComm.

They must be run from Droid 4 Bootstrap recovery on a rooted D4 because Safestrap recovery disables NV writes.
Just place the zips on the root of your sdcard-ext directory and boot into recovery from the D4 Bootstrap app and select Install zip from sdcard, then Choose zip and select the TBH_Band_Config_Unlock.zip and install it.
It takes about 2-3 secs to run and then reboot and you should be all set.

The other pieces of the hack like build.prop edits can be performed manually as per your needs and may not be the same for all users and carriers. There are also edited apns.conf.xml files that have APNs for many more international carriers included and may avoid the need to manually set the APN for your carrier.

Good luck and please post back your results here with as much info as possible so we can develop clear set of instructions and steps for various carriers and configurations.

I applied the unlock.zip via Safestrap recovery but still am not able to select GSM after reboot. Only options under "wireless& networks - mobile networks - network mode" are CDMA/LTE and CDMA only. Any other thought what I might be missing? Thanks

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
where are you located?

What type of SIM are you using?

Have you tried setting it to WCDMA Preferred in the Phone Info menu?

My D4 is on the ICS leak now, but when it was on 219 stock, using this edit allowed it to show the global network options with my T Mobile SIM inserted despite the fact that I could not get any service because of the US GSM carrier lock. I can also select the T Mobile APN and it sticks, but still no service.

If you are trying this with an ATT or T Mobile SIM in the US it will not work.

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
where are you located?

What type of SIM are you using?

Have you tried setting it to WCDMA Preferred in the Phone Info menu?

My D4 is on the ICS leak now, but when it was on 219 stock, using this edit allowed it to show the global network options with my T Mobile SIM inserted despite the fact that I could not get any service because of the US GSM carrier lock. I can also select the T Mobile APN and it sticks, but still no service.

If you are trying this with an ATT or T Mobile SIM in the US it will not work.

I am in the US and trying out a german SIM card. Where should I look to find the global network options? I don't see them? I am kinda lost. If somebody can guide me through this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
Bump.

Need some help please.
I have tried both a foreign SIM as well as an AT&T SIM. I get the message "SIM from an unknown source". What is the next step? In settings, wireless networks, mobile networks, I see only 2 options: 1. CDMA/LTE 2. CDMA only.
If I go into Network app (from the market) and select GSM Auto, I get new options to select an operator in settings. However, after searching for an operator it never finds a network. This is with both the At&t SIM card as well as a german SIM card.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
That message always comes up and can be ignored.

Use AnyCut from the Play Store to set shortcuts to Phone Info and Programming menu as they may help you debug this problem, but it is not going to work in the US until and if we are successful defeating the lock.

The Phone Info menu is where you can set the radio modes and force WCDMA preferred from the drop menu. The Programing Menu will also give you access to many low level settings as well.

You are going to have to play around and find out what works for you.
There are many variables in the user reports on the devices which are using this exploit, so there is not a fully established method.

Reactions: GermanGuy

highlandsun

Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
You're not going to get any success at all while you're in the US.

Also, as I already posted earlier in this thread, the phone seems to disallow any form of roaming. My Irish SIM is working OK here in Ireland, but it disconnects when I go out of the home network area - it doesn't connect to any roaming networks. (It roams fine in my TouchPro2.) It likewise would not connect while I was in the US (but in my TP2 it connected to AT&T roaming just fine).

Reactions: GermanGuy

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
You're not going to get any success at all while you're in the US.

Also, as I already posted earlier in this thread, the phone seems to disallow any form of roaming. My Irish SIM is working OK here in Ireland, but it disconnects when I go out of the home network area - it doesn't connect to any roaming networks. (It roams fine in my TouchPro2.) It likewise would not connect while I was in the US (but in my TP2 it connected to AT&T roaming just fine).

Ok. Thanks. I hope Verizon will implement the roaming feature (at least outside the US) once the global features become official. I tend to travel a bit and it would be silly to have to get different SIM cards for different countries especially when you travel in Europe.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
We need to get a thread stickied with a step by step tutorial of how to do this hack pronto. Can't wait to try this out on AT&T in the US

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If you read the thread you will see as has been repeated many times already, including twice on this page alone: THIS DOES NOT WORK ON US GSM CARRIERS!

I have been trying to figure out why that is and how it can be enabled, if at all possible,
but that is why there is not a stickied thread with method and instructions because it is not successful yet, ok?

Reactions: gtmaster303

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
If you read the thread you will see as has been repeated many times already, including twice on this page alone: THIS DOES NOT WORK ON US GSM CARRIERS!

I have been trying to figure out why that is and how it can be enabled, if at all possible,
but that is why there is not a stickied thread with method and instructions because it is not successful yet, ok?

sorry, didn't read through the thread... last post I read a while back told me I could

xixx

Aug 5, 2005
Gdansk
On the Droid forums people saying that the latest (206) ICS leak has enabled Global mode. We need just insert the SIM and it will ask to turn Global Mode on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

We were waiting to release them with a more complete guide once we had worked through the details, but since so many users are trying this and having varying success while I have been unable to make it work properly on my D4 with T Mobile in the US, it seems like a good idea to post these now.

These files will make it easier and safer to perform the NV edits for users who don't want to mess with a complicated and dangerous serviceware app like RadioComm.

They must be run from Droid 4 Bootstrap recovery on a rooted D4 because Safestrap recovery disables NV writes.
    Just place the zips on the root of your sdcard-ext directory and boot into recovery from the D4 Bootstrap app and select Install zip from sdcard, then Choose zip and select the TBH_Band_Config_Unlock.zip and install it.
    It takes about 2-3 secs to run and then reboot and you should be all set.

Hi guys,

I've been digging a lot since I got my unlocked VZW Droid4 on eBay last month to get it working on european (french) networks, and finally yesterday I got it working.

I'l try to explain in details sometime but basically (after rooting, updating to 619 build and applied the latest SELFKANG nightly) I first applied the trick found by fragulina on the "Bionic on tmobile" (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25219819&postcount=12), then I applied the GSM patch used by RAZR users (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1495884) and modified the build.prop for our XT894 device.

And it works (voice and data, not sure about 3G as I have a very poor signal here but it *did* showed up sooner today).

I still have to *#*#4636#*#* after a fresh install to switch to "WCDMA Prefered" before the phone accepts my french "Free Mobile" APNs, but that's it.
    Still tinkering with this. Here are the system/lib files that the "GSM patch" archives update:

I still haven't actually tried GSM yet, still waiting for my micro-sim cutter to arrive in the mail. But after comparing build.prop files, this is what I've changed so far.

[/code]

Oh yes I was too excited when I talked about build.prop yesterday and I'm having some friends at home today so I could'nt answer your questions, but I hacked a lot my build.prop since my first tries last month (when I was trying to only change RIL libraries and check the radio log to see what happened and was missing the radiocomm hack).

Did'nt checked voice quality, will try later today, but yes the thing is very sensible to different values in here. If you don't get it right you won't be able to set up your APN's, or you'll return to the VZW "setup data" thing, and so on (but I'm sure you already know).

I did'nt verify everything as you do, never had the patience, but here is mine (I use a 200 dpi in this).
    2G works just fine...

Don't bother. I finally found out what it is. Well at least where to look. Turn of 3G and no matter which ROM you're on, audio will work. I just tried 215, 219 and AOKP. They all work over 2G. As soon as you enable 3G you will loose the audio when placing a call. I still don't see how this is different when receiving a call. But at least now I can go back to fully functional 219. Toggling between 2G and 3G to place a call is something I can live with.

I was sitting in the garden working on my RC cars when I had to place a call. It didn't work. Then I noticed the 3G/H sign. I switched to 2G and I could place a call again. I tried 2G with or without data and 3G with or without data. 2G works all the time. I think it was just coincidence that I had 2G coverage when placing calls in AOKP. Now I would think AOKP never worked for me either. All the testing was done inside my house or at work. I bet I had 2G coverage 9/10. AOKP doesn't change the 3G/2G data icon that fast. I guess that's why I didn't notice it.

Well like I said. Just switched back to 219 (modified with RIL, but doubt that it matters) and I have audio over 2G. Tested both incoming and outgoing. Then turned on 3G. Incoming is OK. Again outgoing/placing a call no audio.

I recall a topic about a similar issue with CDMA networks. 2G worked fine but 3G wouldn't. I'll try to dig up that topic. I'm pretty sure it wasn't XDA but I'm not sure whether it was an Bionic, RAZR or any Droid topic. So it won't be easy. At least maybe now you all can use your phone. I mean, switching between 2G/3G just to call someone (or to 3G whenever you need fast internet) doesn't seem bad for the moment.
    That message always comes up and can be ignored.

Use AnyCut from the Play Store to set shortcuts to Phone Info and Programming menu as they may help you debug this problem, but it is not going to work in the US until and if we are successful defeating the lock.

The Phone Info menu is where you can set the radio modes and force WCDMA preferred from the drop menu. The Programing Menu will also give you access to many low level settings as well.

You are going to have to play around and find out what works for you.
    There are many variables in the user reports on the devices which are using this exploit, so there is not a fully established method.