[Q] Is it the Battery or is it something else?

Search This thread

Da9L

Jan 31, 2007
Hi there.

My Mother has a One V which she is really happy about. But recently she says that it has been draining the battery so fast. At first i didnt really believe it (you know old people and tech), and asked if she had charged it correctly. She then told me that the charging process was also quite strange.. She had plugged it in one night, and the phone displayed that it was charging.. Then 8 hours after, in the morning it had only charged 2% ! This doesnt happen all the time, but only some times.

Now she has given it to me and hope that i can fix it. At first im just going to factory reset it, even though i dont think that is the problem. But i have noticed that what she is telling me is true to some extend. I have had the phone sitting on the table all night. No simcard and no nothing.. It had only used about 5%, but as soon as i began using it, to take backup and prepare for the reset oh boy.. It uses 1% in merely seconds! Approx 26 seconds per 1%!

I think this is rather strange and im unsure if the battery is the problem.. Do you guys have any ideas ?

Da9L

Jan 31, 2007
Oh and i have to say that the phone is running newest stock software. It has never been rooted or anything like that.

tylerleo

Aug 14, 2014
lincoln park
Well, the charger port is probably bad. My first htc one m8 and my droid incredible 2 both have weak ports on them from the factory. Send it in for warranty and say nothing < about a possible bad charging port if it still has warranty. And, if nothing Less try a brand new charger, and see if that one works and if it's loose when it's plugged in. If it Is loose with new charger it's a bad charger port.

swhatevers

Jan 24, 2013
Yeah this confuses me as well. It happens once every few months. The battery drains really fast and charging is extremely slow. The first time this happened my One V dropped from 100% to 27% in 20 minutes! And just like it randomly happens it randomly goes; battery consumption goes back to normal after a day or two.

A possible reason is the charger and USB cable that is used. My cable is worn out so that might be why charging is slow but it doesn't explain why the battery drains so fast even when the phone is disconnected from the charger. So the only reasonable explanation would be some hardware problems in the battery pack.

But this is all just me guessing... I don't know for sure.

Da9L

Jan 31, 2007
Well, the charger port is probably bad. My first htc one m8 and my droid incredible 2 both have weak ports on them from the factory. Send it in for warranty and say nothing < about a possible bad charging port if it still has warranty. And, if nothing Less try a brand new charger, and see if that one works and if it's loose when it's plugged in. If it Is loose with new charger it's a bad charger port.

It could be the charger port. I tried cleansing it with a toothpick (heard dust could be the problem), but the problem persists

Yeah this confuses me as well. It happens once every few months. The battery drains really fast and charging is extremely slow. The first time this happened my One V dropped from 100% to 27% in 20 minutes! And just like it randomly happens it randomly goes; battery consumption goes back to normal after a day or two.

A possible reason is the charger and USB cable that is used. My cable is worn out so that might be why charging is slow but it doesn't explain why the battery drains so fast even when the phone is disconnected from the charger. So the only reasonable explanation would be some hardware problems in the battery pack.

The problem here is that it happens every second time or so the phone is charged at the moment. But i have bought a new battery and will try and change it. Ill write here how it goes and if there is a improvement, so that you know where the problem relies if you are thinking about doing the same.

Reactions: swhatevers

jonas2790

Sep 30, 2013
Same problem here. Every few months the battery drops from > 50% to 2% or so. This happens within some minutes and my phone gets really hot.

But normaly I use it with a 2 amp charger and I think this happens more often if I use chargers with 1 amp.

Edit: This happened for me with every rom I used.

Last edited:

Da9L

Jan 31, 2007
I changed the battery two days ago, and i can already feel a huge improvement.. 8 hours ago i took it out from the charger. Data and Bluetooth has been on all day. Been browsing a little, and sent som SMS and stuff like that.. 65% now.

The conclusion must be that in my case at least, it was a battery hardware fault.

Da9L

Jan 31, 2007
I'm also thinking about replacing my battery, was replacing it easy?

Yes it was actually pretty easy. Although i have done it on my One S too, and that was even easier.

Some recommendations: Get your self a repair tool kit before you start. Everything has been so much easier for me after i got that. It is all the money worth it . This is what i got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261399617620?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT <- They ship worldwide.

The battery i brought : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321303229844?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

First i took the plate off at the bottom of the phone (the one where there behind is sim card and sd card). Unscrewed all six screws. Once done you can take all the plastic off the large plastic part (the one below the simcard and sd card when inserted, and covering everything behind the outer cover). This part is also taped/glued, but should not be a problem to get off.

After you have taken that off, use a pry tool to pry the plate open around the camera lens and flash (beware that this plate is also taped together. Unscrew the last screw behind.

Now comes the tricky part. You need another more solid pry tool to pry the lcd/board out from the front. Use the pry tool in between the screen and the cover of the phone, and all the way around. The LCD and board needs to come out from the phones front.

After that the battery becomes visible. There is nothing special to getting the plug out for it as far as i can remember and should just be pulled towards the battery to get it out. Battery is glue to the inside of the phone, but using the solid pry tool you should be able to get it out. If you order the battery i linked to, it comes with new 3M tape.

Heres a video showing it pretty good i think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPasbSobzwA

swhatevers

Jan 24, 2013
Yes it was actually pretty easy. Although i have done it on my One S too, and that was even easier.

Some recommendations: Get your self a repair tool kit before you start. Everything has been so much easier for me after i got that. It is all the money worth it . This is what i got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261399617620?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT <- They ship worldwide.

The battery i brought : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321303229844?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

First i took the plate off at the bottom of the phone (the one where there behind is sim card and sd card). Unscrewed all six screws. Once done you can take all the plastic off the large plastic part (the one below the simcard and sd card when inserted, and covering everything behind the outer cover). This part is also taped/glued, but should not be a problem to get off.

After you have taken that off, use a pry tool to pry the plate open around the camera lens and flash (beware that this plate is also taped together. Unscrew the last screw behind.

Now comes the tricky part. You need another more solid pry tool to pry the lcd/board out from the front. Use the pry tool in between the screen and the cover of the phone, and all the way around. The LCD and board needs to come out from the phones front.

After that the battery becomes visible. There is nothing special to getting the plug out for it as far as i can remember and should just be pulled towards the battery to get it out. Battery is glue to the inside of the phone, but using the solid pry tool you should be able to get it out. If you order the battery i linked to, it comes with new 3M tape.

Aah so it was the battery pack after all!! Interesting to know.
Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the battery replacement links.
My One V is retired but since the battery is cheap I will buy one and replace it just in case I ever need the phone as backup.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm also thinking about replacing my battery, was replacing it easy?

It could be the charger port. I tried cleansing it with a toothpick (heard dust could be the problem), but the problem persists

The problem here is that it happens every second time or so the phone is charged at the moment. But i have bought a new battery and will try and change it. Ill write here how it goes and if there is a improvement, so that you know where the problem relies if you are thinking about doing the same.