[Q] Downgrade hboot prior to sending phone for service?

Search This thread

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
I have read on various threads that when you send your phone for service, it typically comes back with latest firmware, and as a result, latest hboot 1.56. Would the device be considered for repair under warrenty if it is completely stock, s-on, latest firmware, but older hboot? This way the device firmware might not be upgraded during service and being on a lower hboot might make it easier to obtain s-off post service. Thoughts?

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
I have read on various threads that when you send your phone for service, it typically comes back with latest firmware, and as a result, latest hboot 1.56. Would the device be considered for repair under warrenty if it is completely stock, s-on, latest firmware, but older hboot? This way the device firmware might not be upgraded during service and being on a lower hboot might make it easier to obtain s-off post service. Thoughts?

if everything is up to date except the hboot, they will know you have tampered the phone and your warranty will not be valid.

Reactions: b99721

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
Ok get it. Thanks.
Now can someone please point me to the source for hboot 1.56 (I am on 4.19.1540.9, but had flashed hboot 1.44 and need to revert to original hboot version). I am looking for only hboot and not complete ruu (dont hv bandwidth to download ruu). Quick response would really really help.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LQDLpVZYyUpXPgC2sh1BvAS9Oo8B-fTiZU_JhpIH-fU/pubhtml#

You need the original unmodified.. these are GSM Only. By the way, does your bootloader say tampered, locked/relocked or does it just say locked.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks!
My bootloader says unlocked - I had locked it day before yesterday (at that time it said Locked) but I have unlocked it again now so it says Unlocked. And am s-off. Mine is single sim gsm only phone and firmware is 4.19.1540.9. So which hboot to download? Will hboot for version 4.19.401.9 work on my device and be considered stock for it by service center?

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
That will work ok, But... That's not the answer.. in order to return for warranty.. You phone has to be locked not relocked. Have tampered removed. Stock recovery. In other words out of the box software..

Take a look here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541082

Do not under any circumstances go S-On yet..

Last edited:

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
That will work ok, But... That's not the answer.. in order to return for warranty.. You phone has to be locked not relocked. Have tampered removed. Stock recovery. In other words out of the box software..

Take a look here

Sure I will install stock recovery and do Lock (not relock). Thanks again!
I can unroot after Locked? From the super user app itself?
I plan to follow steps:
1) flash hboot 1.56
2) flash stock recovery
3) get Locked
4) unroot from app
5) factory reset
6) get s-on

Reactions: bored_stupid

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
I plan to follow steps:
1) flash hboot 1.56
2) flash stock recovery
3) get Locked
4) unroot from app
5) factory reset
6) get s-on

Be careful with hboot 1 56.
If you go S-On. You may not be able to go S-Off again. Also make sure if you go S-On to do so before Ota 3.**.***.*.

Quote" Step 3: if YOU decide to go S-On*(Note: this should only be done for warranty or selling the phone, it is not needed for OTAs)
fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
reboot 3 times and make sure it doesnt say "tamper detected - rebooting" and then shows TAMPERED again
as far as I know, this was introduced in hboot 1.55" End Quote. Thank you @nkk71

Though I see no reason to take OTA updates all the way to hboot1.55/1.56.

Not everyone I imagine wants to be on the latest firmware.

Has long as it's fully stock , HTC will honour the Warranty.

Last edited:

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
If you go S-On. You may not be able to go S-Off again. Also make sure if you go S-On to do so before Ota 3.**.***.*.

Quote" Step 3: if YOU decide to go S-On*(Note: this should only be done for warranty or selling the phone, it is not needed for OTAs)
reboot 3 times and make sure it doesnt say "tamper detected - rebooting" and then shows TAMPERED again
as far as I know, this was introduced in hboot 1.55" End Quote. Thank you @nkk71

So you are suggesting I first downgrade and then achieve s-on? I am ok with no s-off. Getting warranty is more important for me at this point. I want to be on the latest firmware. So if I go s-on with hboot 1.56, I will be in a fix? In that case can I s-on with present hboot 1.44 and then flash hboot 1.56? Or it will not be possible since i would be s-on?

Last edited:

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi

Take a look here

The hboot file didn't work. So I extracted it from the OTA file I had with me for 4.19.1540.9 and replaced the hboot img file in the zip I had for hboot 1.44. Worked!
But it was scary - I executed fasboot flash zip command and the progress bar n the phone was stuck around 75% but cmd returned OK. So as per instructions on htc1guru, I executed the command again and the status bar didn't move but again cmd said OK. Finally turned off the phone by holding down power button and prayed and turned it on. Phone booted with hboot 1.56!

PS: Exactly same thing had happened when I had downgraded to hboot 1.44

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Sorry should have mentioned that. It goes like this..

adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip hboot.zip

Now the first time you issue a command to flash firmware/ruu in fastboot it only prepares the flash. *You have to issue the exact command again:

The green status bar usually does not reach the 100% mark. *When the output in the command window is complete, you can reboot:

fastboot reboot

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
Sorry should have mentioned that. It goes like this..

adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU

Now the first time you issue a command to flash firmware/ruu in fastboot it only prepares the flash. *You have to issue the exact command again:

The green status bar usually does not reach the 100% mark. *When the output in the command window is complete, you can reboot:

fastboot reboot

Thanks for the instructions! My phone has left country now! Will save one way courier money and hopefully get in warranty service - sent with s-off, but Locked.

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
Hope all goes well.

Got my One back! Camera is awesome now. Low light, normal light, sunlight... every situation the camera excels.
Sensor is ov6488, no date.
Only thing that that is bugging me, but I can live with it - using flash results in a very light green hue on the entire photograph. But I rarely use flash. :)
And the camera lens (and the flash module) are a little off-center from glass at the back, but it seems to have no effect on the photos, so I am fine (but just a little annoyed) with it.
At the same time, I want to confirm a couple of things -
1) Does this sensor have OIS - had read somewhere it is same sensor as the one used in M8, which doesn't have OIS
2) The photos appear distorted towards the ends/edges - a characteristic of the wide angle lense I understand - but with the prior sensor, when I use to set Crop as Regular, the photos use to get straight at ends/edges; but that is not the case anymore - no matter what Crop I select - Wide, Regular, and Square, photos are distorted/wide at ends/edges. Hope this is the way it is suppose to be. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

if everything is up to date except the hboot, they will know you have tampered the phone and your warranty will not be valid.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LQDLpVZYyUpXPgC2sh1BvAS9Oo8B-fTiZU_JhpIH-fU/pubhtml#

You need the original unmodified.. these are GSM Only. By the way, does your bootloader say tampered, locked/relocked or does it just say locked.

Take a look here

Take a look here

I plan to follow steps:
    1) flash hboot 1.56
    2) flash stock recovery
    3) get Locked
    4) unroot from app
    5) factory reset
    6) get s-on

I plan to follow steps:
    1) flash hboot 1.56
    2) flash stock recovery
    3) get Locked
    4) unroot from app
    5) factory reset
    6) get s-on