[Q] Question on the new kitkat update

Search This thread

areaves999

Jun 19, 2014
As many of you know, the at&t 4.4.2 firmware came out today. WHICH, leads me to me question.
I am rooted and have the at&t no-knox Rom installed. This rom is close to stock, except it just doesn't have knox.
Can i update to 4.4.2 through this rom or will i get some sort of error.

scorey03

Mar 19, 2013
Steelville
I was on stock rooted 4.3 and flashed a custom kit Kat ROM just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Oooh....do you mean stock ota update? I was confused for a second lol. If there is a ota update....you can probably update just fine....but you may loose root.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I was unaware that 4.4.2 kk was coming to the s3. I have another s3 coming in the mail tomorrow. Its on 4.3. I will root it, remove Knox, and update to the new 4.4.2 and let you know how it goes :)

Last edited:

TylerMarshall256

Jan 11, 2013
Huntsville
I was on stock rooted 4.3 and flashed a custom kit Kat ROM just fine.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Oooh....do you mean stock ota update? I was confused for a second lol. If there is a ota update....you can probably update just fine....but you may loose root.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I was unaware that 4.4.2 kk was coming to the s3. I have another s3 coming in the mail tomorrow. Its on 4.3. I will root it, remove Knox, and update to the new 4.4.2 and let you know how it goes :)

Do you know if I would be able to update? I'm on 4.3 stock and I have clockwork flashed too.

scorey03

Mar 19, 2013
Steelville
Well I tried to update from 4.3 rooted with Knox removed and it failed. Keep in mind though...the phone has been jtagged and had the iemi fixed. Don't know if that's the issue or not. It would not update...the install failed every time. Although the phone still works fine....just stuck on 4.3. So...it won't hurt your phone if it fails.

areaves999

Jun 19, 2014
yep

Well I tried to update from 4.3 rooted with Knox removed and it failed. Keep in mind though...the phone has been jtagged and had the iemi fixed. Don't know if that's the issue or not. It would not update...the install failed every time. Although the phone still works fine....just stuck on 4.3. So...it won't hurt your phone if it fails.

Looks like I will ne waiting for a zip file of the update... kinda like 4.3