MediaTek DA USB VCOM Port - Help me fix Code 10 problem

Search This thread

johnnysnavely

Jul 22, 2011
PLEASE! I need to load a new ROM into my MT6575 phone using Smart Phone Flash tool.

I've installed the Mediatek drivers on 4 different computers in my house (Vista, Window 7, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8) and I cant get ANY of them to work!!

When I look under Ports (COM and LPT) in Device Manager, I ALWAYS get: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

WHAT is going on!! I've wasted so much time with this problem.

Bystander11

Jul 21, 2012
PLEASE! I need to load a new ROM into my MT6575 phone using Smart Phone Flash tool.

I've installed the Mediatek drivers on 4 different computers in my house (Vista, Window 7, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8) and I cant get ANY of them to work!!

When I look under Ports (COM and LPT) in Device Manager, I ALWAYS get: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

your not the only one with this problem i have it too with same mt6575 someone help please

ronbo76

Nov 13, 2009
Need to uninstall device and reinstall drivers

If you google, "Code 10", you will find that on a Windows system it is an error code generated by the Device Manager "because it can not start a device". In a nut shell, the most likely cause for this is because the device was not properly installed with the right drivers.

If you are running Windows, you can try to use the attached file called USBReview to see what device that is as you know it is your phone. Basically, with this program you can remove all the old drivers and start all the driver installation again.

Try to find your phone either here on xda, on the web or contact your phone's manufacturer - you need drivers!!!

Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

Attachments

• USBReview.zip
    62.6 KB · Views: 67,500
Last edited:

johnnysnavely

Jul 22, 2011
If you google, "Code 10", you will find that on a Windows system it is an error code generated by the Device Manager "because it can not start a device". In a nut shell, the most likely cause for this is because the device was not properly installed with the right drivers.

If you are running Windows, you can try to use the attached file called USBReview to see what device that is as you know it is your phone. Basically, with this program you can remove all the old drivers and start all the driver installation again.

Try to find your phone either here on xda, on the web or contact your phone's manufacturer - you need drivers!!!

Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

Your USB program does give a lot of information I have never seen before, but I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the driver to load.
thanks, John

ivy13

Aug 2, 2011

This is what worked for me after lot of experimenting and searching:
- get MTK6575 drivers (for instance from Bruno Martins where he writes about flashing mtk6575 - google: MT6575 flashing tutorial bruno
- Start c/windows/system32/hdwwiz.exe (as admin)
- Click next
- Manually select hardware
- List all devices
- Select the driver (for example usb2ser_Win764.inf)
- from the List select "MediaTek Preloader USB VCOM Port"
(or you can install other drivers from the list if Preloader is not enough..)

On another computer I solved it by installing whole Android SDK, checked my android system and installed updated for SDK (approx. 2 GB) and it installed correct drivers automatically.

Also you can experiment with using another usb port..
Please write here if it helped.

khattak77

Sep 30, 2012
- get MTK6575 drivers (for instance from Bruno Martins where he writes about flashing mtk6575 - google: MT6575 flashing tutorial bruno
- Click next
- List all devices

On another computer I solved it by installing whole Android SDK, checked my android system and installed updated for SDK (approx. 2 GB) and it installed correct drivers automatically.

Tried your first method but still get Code 10 error. Could not understand your second method. Please help. Me device is Qmobile Noir A2

Cipriot

Nov 7, 2012
Just made my Amoi N820 work :)
So happy
You get Code 10 becouse your windows couldn't recognize the driver but that's irrelevant becouse flashing will work

Reactions: 0815 1234

orion~X

Dec 6, 2012
No solution?

Any solution on this problem?

I've this china mt6575 galaxy s3 clone and got rooted using CF Root.Got ADB composite driver successfully installed in my pc (using win7 32-bit).When I install preloader usb vcom driver, i'm also facing this 'code 10' issue.Until now I can't install CWM in my phone.(the Flash Tool cannot detect my device).i try to install/push CWM using Terminal Emulator but nothing seems to change .when reboot into recovery mode the same stock recovery appear.Any help please?

eran.langa

Jan 12, 2013
Any solution on this problem?

I've this china mt6575 galaxy s3 clone and got rooted using CF Root.Got ADB composite driver successfully installed in my pc (using win7 32-bit).When I install preloader usb vcom driver, i'm also facing this 'code 10' issue.Until now I can't install CWM in my phone.(the Flash Tool cannot detect my device).i try to install/push CWM using Terminal Emulator but nothing seems to change .when reboot into recovery mode the same stock recovery appear.Any help please?

i have thet problem to.
is ther solution?

BR612

Jan 21, 2013
I HAVE SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM!!

Just ignore the error Code 10! Start the SPFlashtool and load the scatterfile, click on download and connect your switch off Phone with the computer. It will work fine.

Reactions: 0815 1234

hihi2u2

Oct 4, 2008
Having the Same Problem

I understand I can ignore it and it works on that part, however I'm trying to root my phone now and it's not recognising that I have attached a device to the computer. Please need help to solve the problem. Have the drivers but can't get it without code 10

TheDon13

Oct 9, 2010
I understand I can ignore it and it works on that part, however I'm trying to root my phone now and it's not recognising that I have attached a device to the computer. Please need help to solve the problem. Have the drivers but can't get it without code 10

Did you ever get this problem solved as I have the same issue with an MTK 6592 chip based phone? :confused:

micarv

Oct 2, 2015
I have the same problem too.
Installation of Media Tek preloaded drivers gives me Code 10 error.
Has anyone found the solution?

rayfloyd170

Jan 21, 2016
my phone is totally dead without power now after I tried to flash with SP Flash tool using correct ROM. I noticed in device manager that there is a CODE 10 error in mediatek preloader usb driver.. is this the culprit? my phone can no longer be detected now in SPFlash or MTK Droid tools... so hopeless... this is a brandnew phone I bought to be given as gift to my cousin...

Sintetix

Jun 24, 2008
I did it! I did it! I did it! :)

The solution is... we need not MediaTek USB VCOM (Android) (USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0005&MI_02), but PreLoader USB VCOM Port (USB\Vid_0e8d&Pid_2000) !

I have MTK6582 (KingSing S2), the host - WinXPx64.
It looks like my phone (and, maybe, other MTK devices too) have several engineering modes.
I have spent several hours trying to get working VID_0BB4&PID_0005&MI_02, which is exposed, if device is turned on while holding VOL- pressed. In this mode some strange factory mode with nonfunctional menu items is displayed on the screen. But to activate mode with Vid_0e8d&Pid_2000 some trickery is necessary.
Sometimes this USB interface starts repeatedly to appear and disappear every half-second in infinitive loop. I had such situation once, when connected turned off phone to USB cable with battery removed.
I just literally catched MT65xx Preloader by double clicking on it in windows device manager and pressing "install drivers" in it's properties. I have used Driver_Auto_Installer_v1.1236.00\SmartPhoneDriver\x64\Infs\usbvcom.inf from http://spflashtool.com/download/Driver_Auto_Installer_v1.1236.00.zip. DriverVer = 12/24/2011, 2.0000.0.0
After clicking "Read Back" in Flash Tool this insane loop stopped and program started to function as intended.

This interface could also appear once and for very short moment, if turned off phone (with battery inserted) is just connected to host. Also it could be seen again, if power button is pressed. If "Download" or "Read Back" is not pressed in advance in Flash Tool, than boot will continue after smaller than a second pause (if device is functional).

I don't know if running Install.bat (from archive I have given above) is necessary. It didn't installed driver when Vid_0e8d&Pid_2000 wasn't active, but, I guess, running it during short blinks would give the same effect.

Also, I don't know, if advice given in comment#6 in this thread four years ago would work. Maybe, the fault was in older version of driver (DriverVer=05/30/2011,1.1123.0).
Another reason could be that necessary USB interface disappears before windows manages to install driver for it for the first time. Possibly, only if "catched" in device manager, user could manually assign driver to it.

DWPorter2

Jul 18, 2016
I've been struggling with my UMI Rome for days. It has/had the black screen problem, sometimes won't enter recovery mode, sometimes wouldn't allow charge, sometimes works just fine (yesterday). Last night i mistakenly cut off power during a battery recharge. -- today it has all the above problems (bricked) so I am trying doing a flashing again using the tutorials and tools on the Tehnotone.com site. Sintetix's reply above helps me at least have a better clue on what is going on. Wish me luck! BTW, I am using a Dell Windows 10 pc. (Results to be reported here.)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2016
The solution is... we need not MediaTek USB VCOM (Android) (USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0005&MI_02), but PreLoader USB VCOM Port (USB\Vid_0e8d&Pid_2000) !

It looks like my phone (and, maybe, other MTK devices too) have several engineering modes.
I have spent several hours trying to get working VID_0BB4&PID_0005&MI_02, which is exposed, if device is turned on while holding VOL- pressed. In this mode some strange factory mode with nonfunctional menu items is displayed on the screen. But to activate mode with Vid_0e8d&Pid_2000 some trickery is necessary.
Sometimes this USB interface starts repeatedly to appear and disappear every half-second in infinitive loop. I had such situation once, when connected turned off phone to USB cable with battery removed.
I just literally catched MT65xx Preloader by double clicking on it in windows device manager and pressing "install drivers" in it's properties. I have used Driver_Auto_Installer_v1.1236.00\SmartPhoneDriver\x64\Infs\usbvcom.inf from http://spflashtool.com/download/Driver_Auto_Installer_v1.1236.00.zip. DriverVer = 12/24/2011, 2.0000.0.0
After clicking "Read Back" in Flash Tool this insane loop stopped and program started to function as intended.

This interface could also appear once and for very short moment, if turned off phone (with battery inserted) is just connected to host. Also it could be seen again, if power button is pressed. If "Download" or "Read Back" is not pressed in advance in Flash Tool, than boot will continue after smaller than a second pause (if device is functional).

I don't know if running Install.bat (from archive I have given above) is necessary. It didn't installed driver when Vid_0e8d&Pid_2000 wasn't active, but, I guess, running it during short blinks would give the same effect.

Also, I don't know, if advice given in comment#6 in this thread four years ago would work. Maybe, the fault was in older version of driver (DriverVer=05/30/2011,1.1123.0).
Another reason could be that necessary USB interface disappears before windows manages to install driver for it for the first time. Possibly, only if "catched" in device manager, user could manually assign driver to it.

I tried what you said. It wouldn't install properly. It kept saying error (code 10) and showed in device management with a caution sign every time I installed the driver. I disabled the forced driver signature thingamabop but it still does it. I guess I'm screwed. Has anyone else fixed this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Need to uninstall device and reinstall drivers

Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

- Click next
    - List all devices

I did it! I did it! I did it! :)

OK. Here's what worked for me:
    The code 10 error does not matter.
    You need to have your phone powered off and USB cable removed before pressing download on the Smart phone Flash Tool.
    After pressing download, insert the USB cable into the powered off phone.

I tried what you said. It wouldn't install properly. It kept saying error (code 10) and showed in device management with a caution sign every time I installed the driver. I disabled the forced driver signature thingamabop but it still does it. I guess I'm screwed. Has anyone else fixed this?