[A] knox safe root on MJ4!!(updated10/30)

Search This thread

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS

btmbanda3

Oct 28, 2013
MJ, here's what I did, can we get the baseband?

Give me 30 minutes or so I'm running an errand. Then I'll see if can figure something out for you.

walk me through your process again...
And are you still knox 0?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

1) Rooted with CF method.
2) installed TI backup and made a backup
3) xposed framework and wanam to "fake system status"
4) got TWRP, made nandroid backup and flashed the MJ4 file. Seemed to go fine.

The build is updated to MJ4 and the kernel is updated, but the baseband is still on MI5. Calls still popping, etc.

custom
custom
Knox kernel 0x0
knox warranty 0x1

What can I do to get the proper baseband to match the build? (I assume that will fix the call issue?)
Or, should I unroot and backout factory reset, etc. to get the right OTA update?

Thanks

dallastx

Sep 29, 2008
Dallas TX
1) Rooted with CF method.
2) installed TI backup and made a backup
3) xposed framework and wanam to "fake system status"
4) got TWRP, made nandroid backup and flashed the MJ4 file. Seemed to go fine.

The build is updated to MJ4 and the kernel is updated, but the baseband is still on MI5. Calls still popping, etc.

custom
custom
Knox kernel 0x0
knox warranty 0x1

What can I do to get the proper baseband to match the build? (I assume that will fix the call issue?)
Or, should I unroot and backout factory reset, etc. to get the right OTA update?

Thanks

You warranty is already blown so just download the MI5 in the first post and Odin it. Once that is done do a over the air update "OTA". May take a while to get uodate. This thread is really caters towards not tripping Knox as u have done but hope that helps.

Sent From Heaven on my Note 3

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Make sure you remove your SD card or system may look to Samsung as still modded.

Reactions: mjcollum

btmbanda3

Oct 28, 2013
Dallas. I will definitely try that. Sprint pushed the update to me when I was on mi5, and it wouldn't install. I can't remember if I had the sd card in though. Worth a shot.

sawyer815

Nov 15, 2010
Finally got my system status back to official by factory resetting and flashing MI5 with ODIN again only to get "The latest updates have already been installed" when running the system update so I guess I'll be waiting a little longer for MJ4! Once someone figures out how to update the baseband outside of official updates, I'll probably just trip KNOX and go that route.

Edit: Spoke too soon, just got the update to download :)

Were you on rooted MI5? This seems to be the only option to get back to official. Wanam is useless on my girlfriend's rooted MI5. I really was not looking forward to reflashing and seeing my girlfriend's look of disapproval if she has to redo even on app. :eek:

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS
Were you on rooted MI5? This seems to be the only option to get back to official. Wanam is useless on my girlfriend's rooted MI5. I really was not looking forward to reflashing and seeing my girlfriend's look of disapproval if she has to redo even on app. :eek:
If she's still mi5 just use the first post.
Flashing a vegafied mi5 file and not using the sd files should get you official and the ota. Then run sd files. Shouldn't require a wipe.

datajosh

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 13, 2009
Greenville, SC
Flashing a vegafied mi5 file and not using the sd files should get you official and the ota. Then run sd files. Shouldn't require a wipe.

I couldn't get Wanam to show official, I had to wipe and flash MI5 in ODIN twice, then I finally got to official status. I think I'll wait for the TAR to get released next time :p

sawyer815

Nov 15, 2010

I couldn't get Wanam to show official, I had to wipe and flash MI5 in ODIN twice, then I finally got to official status. I think I'll wait for the TAR to get released next time :p

I really hope it's the former. If it was my phone i wouldn't care but she's got her live wallpaper and icons just the way she likes it. I'd have to hear it, but not the end of the world.

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS

Yea. The only issue being samsung appears to wait until the next update to release the previous one. If they would release them at the same time it would be better.

cherylbaker

Jan 21, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I really hope it's the former. If it was my phone i wouldn't care but she's got her live wallpaper and icons just the way she likes it. I'd have to hear it, but not the end of the world.

You should be able to odin the official mi5 which would not require wanam and take the update than use kingo to root.. no loss of data

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mjcollum

dallastx

Sep 29, 2008
Dallas TX
In this new version:

1. SuperSU updated to the latest version of v1.65
2. Fixed bugs concerning the conflict issue with certain apps after employing root script on Samsung Galaxy Note2,Note3 and S Series.
3. Removed several root scripts due to license issue, which would effect few SONY models.

Download from Kingo: http://www.kingoapp.com/android-root.htm
Fast Mirror Download: http://limelinx.com/d3sa6

SM-N9002
SM-N9005
SM-N9006
SM-N9009
SM-N9008
SM-N900V
SM-N900A
SM-N900P
SM-N900T
SM-N900W8
SM-N900L
SM-N900
SM-N900S

Last edited:

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS
well looks like ill be flipping my knox flag.
thought i had everything done correctly file looked good.
copied over to system..
locks up at sprint logo.

and i guess theres no true adb access in the stock recovery only sideload which doesnt seem to be any use for replacing system files.
unless im missing something i guess ill be installing twrp.
oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later.

ill still be trying to get yall an odex version though.

cherylbaker

Jan 21, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
well looks like ill be flipping my knox flag.
thought i had everything done correctly file looked good.
copied over to system..
locks up at sprint logo.

and i guess theres no true adb access in the stock recovery only sideload which doesnt seem to be any use for replacing system files.
unless im missing something i guess ill be installing twrp.
oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later.

ill still be trying to get yall an odex version though.

No no no.. man that bites. Man.. Did you try a battery pull or a factory reset

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS
No no no.. man that bites. Man.. Did you try a battery pull or a factory reset

pulled battery. tried all sorts of ways to get it to let me push the file no go.
apparently the stock recovery only wants to let me sideload an app not push a file.
will try a factory reset but that shouldn't fix it.
even tried kies.
ill mess with it for a bit but i bet im hosed.

not really a big deal for me. i knew id trip it eventually.
gives me more options in the future with less drama.

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS
HA nevermind. all good.
was able to get adb back by letting it sit at the sprint logo for a minute

odex test version up need a tester

Last edited:

dongarritas

Jan 26, 2011
San Antonio
HA nevermind. all good.
was able to get adb back by letting it sit at the sprint logo for a minute

odex test version up need a tester

Man, I understand! Mucking about the innards of your phone requires patience, from a bunch of people who want desperately for their tinkering to work....NOW!:laugh: Waiting has saved me $100's in hardware/insurance claims.....Probably a lot more.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (UPDATE) 10/30/13--WORKING MJ4
    SUCCESS ROOT ON MJ4 KNOX 0x0!

IF YOUR ALREADY ON MJ4 and want to keep knox 0x0 read bootloader warning and look at end of this post. (optionally take the mj4 ota and do one of the methods below.)

WARNING!!!!! THE MJ4 UPDATE MAY CONTAIN A NEW BOOTLOADER!!!
    LOOK HERE for bootloader warning http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2503620
    there have been reports of people flipping knox trying to downgrade from mj4.
    at the moment there is no full mj4 file. be careful (more info post #142)
    i take no responsibility for any of this :)

Currently the best method for doing this
    Get the full official mi5 file from --http://hotfile.com/dl/251958168/19cbccf/SPR-N900PVPUBMI5-20131004144419.zip.html
    this will serve as the basis for rooting straight to mi5.

next go HERE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498850
    read that page twice. read it again.

i used those files on a copy of the mi5 software to create a modified vega ready version
    from there its pretty much the same
    Just to be safe pull your sd card first.
    FLASH THE STOCK MI5 FIRST (not needed)
    1. Flash the modified vega full mi5 file you created earlier.
    2. do the part with the root files on the sd card.(IT MAY BE BEST TO SKIP THIS PART UNTIL AFTER THE OTA skipping steps 2-4 should let you update,then run the sd files to gain root after update then you should be able to set status official with wanam and you should be all ready to accept the next ota.just skip 2 all together and move steps 3-4 to the end)(thanks @bard77)
    3.install the wanam xposed framework and wanam xposed (the apk is in the market along with a link to the framework get both) make sure to open the framework and click update/install. (This is done in the xposed installer app not the wanam app.)
    4. Spoof system status to official using wanam
    5.accept the ota update and reboot
    6. Copy the vega root files back to the sd
    7.reboot
    8.remove the vega root files again
    9.reboot

10. Check root. i used root checker free from market
    11. check knox status (reboot download mode again)
    12. head back over to the vega thread and throw a thanks and maybe buy designgears a drink!

if using supersu pro keep ota root method. you must run the sd files before accepting ota (must have root first) then you wouldnt need to run them again. but because you have to run them once at some point anyway probably better at this point to go ahead and skip the sd files until after ota and reboot.

I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SET SYSTEM STATUS BACK TO OFFICIAL WITH WANAM YET>this is no big deal.will just have to wait for the next update anyway. (Check updated method above in red. doing it that way should let you spoof status again.)
    I did not have to wipe data.
    a downgrade will not flip the flag.(ON MJ4 A DOWNGRADE MAY FLIP KNOX!!)
    vega knox safe root works.
    spoofing system status works
    flashing the official sammy again gives you a stock phone with knox still 0x0 and status official.(there is no mj4 full restore be careful!)
    system status custom but no biggie there.

Spoofing system status to official with xposed and taking the ota will remove root.you must use the vega root files again.or supersu pro to keep root.

Flashing any full stock samsung files again will return everything to official.(caution on mj4)

Good enough for me at the moment.
    Also remember flashing a custom kernel\recovery at this time will flip knox.
    Any zip files you would want to flash will need to be done manually instead. Use adb or a file explorer with root access [I use es file explorer] and copy the files over.

THIS WILL NOT RESET KNOX if it has already been flipped. at the moment it looks like a hardware fuse gets blown. there may be no way to reset knox to 0x0. (however i am constantly surprised at what the talented devs on this forum can pull off)
    FLASHING ANY CUSTOM KERNEL/RECOVERY/ROMS will flip the knox flag.

now we can use the native sprint hotspot mod! pretty much my reason for going through this. ( a mj4 odex version http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46980618#post46980618)

you may need to turn on usb debugging mode also.especially for methods below.
    you can turn on usb debugging mode here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2468680

IF YOUR ALREADY ON MJ4:
    the method above will not work for you.
    you will not be able to downgrade to run the vega files.
    at least until samsung releases a mj4 upgrade.
    for now your best option might be an app called kingoroot but beware it may be dangerous from a security pov (http://www.no links please) (thanks @cherylbaker @dallastx for testing for us)
    another option may be using vroot tool . (once again you will need to google it do not post links. please.) (thanks @cyphol post #190 with instructions on how to use a few posts later)
    For anyone still on the fence about this... i can report another 12 hours of use 6 screen on. Not a single fc or other issue. I call it perfectly fine. Now time to start mucking around with a bunch of tweaks and crap. Woooooot

From my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    I'm also currently working on getting us mj4 hotspot again. See the development section. Currently have deodex done. Just need to odex it back up this afternoon.

Kingo has complied with XDA rules. Confirmed by the mods.

There is one more rooting method for Note 3 which is using vroot tool by Chinese devs on mgyun. I've tried it on my SM-N9005 International version successfully without tripping knox. Google it. :) It's in chinese but working flawlessly... Hmmm... rebooting from wanam working also. You can find vroot tutorial in English on youtube. Search for it. ;)