[PROB] TouchPro GPS lag problems

Search This thread

mindfrost82

Retired Senior Moderator
I'm still having the same amount of lag, even with the new reg settings. Maybe mine was never as bad as some of your's, but its still there, about a second or so, which, as I mentioned before, is still usable.

No registry setting I make seems to make any noticable difference at all with my lag.

One thing I noticed with my speed lag is that the cursor usually stops within a second or so, but the speed display is still 3-4 seconds behind that. So even though the cursor stops almost when I do, it'll still show I'm going 5-10mph for a few seconds.

My position lag has almost always been 1-2 seconds, no matter what registry changes I've made.

I'm going to wait for Da_G and hopefully he can get some of the DLL's from the Tilt(Kaiser) to work and we can test that theory.

Sleuth--If we would stop getting snow I would make a video like you did, but its too dangerous with snow on the road since I would have to hold my camcorder in one hand lol.

s.bonito

May 11, 2008
On my test today, TT7 was on the money. Hard to count lag. 1 sec or less passing roads. I shutdown TT7 and loaded up my Garmin XT. I had consistent 3-4 sec lag. I will test Garmin again in AM on the way to work using the Intermediate driver instead of the Com4 option. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I thought I read somewhere that using the intermediate driver worked for someone. We'll see. I'm still using the settings below.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer

MaxBufferSize = 256

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers

InputBufferSize = 256
OutputBufferSize = 128
SleepOnNoData = 1000

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneDevice

PollInterval = 250

My Log files are set to 0.

My Performance settings are:

File sys cache = enabled
File sys cache size = 8mb
File sys filter cache = 131072
Glyph cache = 128KB

THANX a lot, that works fantastic... after a few seconds it was synchronized. I'm using Garmin Mobile XT with [ROMeOS²] [GER] v1.70.3.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Position Lag Summary

Since people have begun reporting success at curing this, I thought I'd post a summary:

I've been busy tracking reg settings and these are the ones that appear to be having the most impact:

MaxBufferSize in Multiplexer set to 256
PollInterval in GPSOneDevice set to 250
SleepOnNoData in Drivers set to 1000
CurrentLogFile and OldLogFile in GPS Intermediate Driver set to NULL

I have attached an updated Cab called GPSIDregfix.cab that sets these values.

ROM versions may impact this as well. It appears that the v2.0 or greater Diamond GPS drivers are involved with people who cure position lag

Radio versions may impact this as well. All posters who have cured position lag are running the 1.10.25.25 Blackstone radio. 1 Poster (me) has also achieved this with the 1.02.25.28 Radio. No posters have reported cured position lag using any other radio atm.

Also, it has been noted that different GPS Navigation software is impacted differently. Garmin software has been cited as being notorious for position lag. TomTom v7 can be achieve 0 position lag and is fully usable for navigation. The status of iGO is that settings/radio updates can reduce position lag to mostly 1 or less seconds. 1 poster has reported here and he considers it satisfactory and usable for navigation.

Edit: cab updated. It was pointed out that SleepOnNoData somehow was left at 100 with the original.
Edit2: now CurrentControlSet has a "0" in it lol. Fixed... what I deserve for changing cabs prior to 2nd cup of coffee :eek:

Attachments

• GPSIDRegFix.cab
    1.2 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:

maw

Sep 29, 2006
I have been using only iGO8 version 8.3.2.64873 all the time. Like I said in my earlier postings TT7 hasn't been satisfactory to me. With the new BS radio and settings I have practically no position lag (just 1 maybe sometimes 2 seconds) and speed lag has a delay in the navigation when full stopping of about 4-5 seconds eventhough the position of the GPS has stopped on the screen.

BTW I see that noellenchris has his glyph cache set to 128 KB under performance in advanced config. I have mine set to 32 KB as advised, will changing it to 128 KB make it better??

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Kaiser GPSID

I've been looking at this myself. My 3.0 Sleuth Kaiser ROM doesn't have a gpsdriver.dll. Instead it has a gpsid.dll and a gpsid_qct.dll. The second dll is referred by the GPSID key and loaded in Drivers\Builtin. The first isn't loaded as a driver or service. Both are stored as modules in the ROM. Kaiser also uses a version 1 GPSID (ours is a version 2). Hopefully this GPSID will work with Raphael's RIL. I'm sure that either Da_G or I will have more on this itnf.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
@maw: I made the statement I did about iGO because you haven't declared it cured, merely acceptable for navigation. I would consider "cured" something equal to what I posted in the video. edit: (after re-reading the summary) I'll modify my post since you think its satisfactory.

Curing or reducing speed lag will be interesting. I need to find out what's going on with $GPVTG especially in light of the fact that either the HTC GPSID generates it in some as yet unknown way or the MS GPSID suppresses it for some as yet unknown reason.

Last edited:

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Since people have begun reporting success at curing this, I thought I'd post a summary:

I've been busy tracking reg settings and these are the ones that appear to be having the most impact:

ROM versions may impact this as well. It appears that the v2.0 or greater Diamond GPS drivers are involved with people who cure position lag

Radio versions may impact this as well. All posters who have cured position lag are running the 1.10.25.25 Blackstone radio. 1 Poster (me) has also achieved this with the 1.02.25.28 Radio. No posters have reported cured position lag using any other radio atm.

Also, it has been noted that different GPS Navigation software is impacted differently. Garmin software has been cited as being notorious for position lag. TomTom v7 can be achieve 0 position lag. The status of iGO is undetermined at this point. Nobody has posted a satisfactory position lag outcome using iGO atm.

Curious, has anybody tried the new xperia radio rom? 1.10.25.18?
I've just got it loaded, but haven't had time yet to try it using TomTom.
I've added the reg edits manually, but to be honest, I always had very little lag.
So it's hard for me to compare.
Using pcfsabre's rom's..
I used the 1.10.25.28 radio, which performed pretty good before.
If anybody's interested I can post results tomorrow after driving home tonight with the .18 radio :)

ps. of the record, Sleuth, any progress in removing ezinput (or et9) but keeping fully functional hw keyboard?
I haven't had any luck yet, and tried loads of different things...

Last edited:

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
woops..

Also, it has been noted that different GPS Navigation software is impacted differently. Garmin software has been cited as being notorious for position lag. TomTom v7 can be achieve 0 position lag and is fully usable for navigation. The status of iGO is that settings/radio updates can reduce position lag to mostly 1 or less seconds. 1 poster has reported here and he considers it satisfactory and usable for navigation.

Sleuth, after looking into your CAB, I think your cab sets the SleepOnNoData to 100 instead of 1000..
Just thought I'd let you know :D

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
The original cab did that. The one I just posted should have it reset to 1000. I'll modify the attachment in the original post.

edit: Crap this one has it too.... must not've saved the file b/f exiting notepad. Damn! uploading fix now...

SleepOnNoData hasn't been confirmed to change much however. I've been running at 100 forever. A recent change to 1000 appeared to make no difference. I included it because the GPSID references it and it just makes sense that SleepOnNoData should be greater than PollInterval.

Last edited:

maw

Sep 29, 2006
@sleuth: well if you put it that way, it ain't cured as yet... let me put it this way, it's getting better using this prescription, but it will need a proper vaccine (radio/rom) to completely cure it :) I kept to the medical terminology just for kicks LOL

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
No worries :)

The original cab did that. The one I just posted should have it reset to 1000. I'll modify the attachment in the original post.

edit: Crap this one has it too.... must not've saved the file b/f exiting notepad. Damn! uploading fix now...

SleepOnNoData hasn't been confirmed to change much however. I've been running at 100 forever. A recent change to 1000 appeared to make no difference. I included it because the GPSID references it and it just makes sense that SleepOnNoData should be greater than PollInterval.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up :)

Dyaus

Nov 28, 2006
Been following this thread and doing some testing myself and figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

In the last couple of days I switched to BS Radio 1.10.25.25 and PROven ROM 1.11. I also applied the registry settings noellenchris posted back a couple of pages. My position lag is now virtually zero. I do still have speed lag though. This is with TT 7.

I did notice that this setup seems to take longer to get a cold lock then my previous setup which was PROven ROM 1.09 and Radio v1.02.25.32. I used to be able to get a cold lock in a a couple minutes now it takes about 5 minutes to get a cold lock.

I usually fire up VisualGPSce until it gets a lock and then fire up TT or Google Maps and they'll get a lock pretty quickly (<20 seconds).

I don't really mind the speed lag, so having the positional lag working good makes me happy =).

I don't mind doing any tests to help out, so if anyone would like me to test anything, let me know.

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
BTW I see that noellenchris has his glyph cache set to 128 KB under performance in advanced config. I have mine set to 32 KB as advised, will changing it to 128 KB make it better??

I've played a lot with the glyph setting on my Hermes. Going to 32KB was definately noticeable update on the Hermes. So I guessed that the 128KB on the TP would help and it has plenty of RAM. Otherwise, I really haven't tested, I just assumed it would help.

Glad my settings seemed to help you. I did change the maxbuff setting to 128 today and really didn't notice a difference. Garmin Xt still is laggy with either the Intermediate driver or Com4 setting...hmmm

maw

Sep 29, 2006
Ok, I changed it to 128 KB.... I will check and see what kinda difference this makes. Maybe it will make my navigation work faster in the process hopefully getting rid of the last 1-2 seconds lag.... :)

Will report back....

Last edited:

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
THANX a lot, that works fantastic... after a few seconds it was synchronized. I'm using Garmin Mobile XT with [ROMeOS²] [GER] v1.70.3.

Do you have position lag with your Garmin Mobile XT? I do...but not with TT7.

I'm looking into the program for the TouchHD that reduces the screen resoulution. I don't know how to get it to work on the TP. If I could reduce the resolution to 240x320 then Garmin may repaint the maps quicker....plus a lot of qvga apps would also work... Any ideas?

X2D

Jan 1, 2009
I am going to test the latest GPS fix cab you posted Sleuth with a different ROM again and then Da_G's again.

I am really trying to find a solution that isn't going to make me pay money to unlock my phone which honestly should be a free service but I can't complain, people have to make money for stuff so it's whatever, but if I happen to jack up this phone and send it back under warranty and reflash all of the original stuff then wouldn't that be wasted money? If I got a new phone would I have to re-unlock it?

Meh, will report back my findings with this latest GPS cab using the .28 Radio on T.i.R's ROM (reflashed last night out of boredom, I flash my phone at least once a day it seems like).

s.bonito

May 11, 2008
@noellenchris Not so far... But in the next days I'll drive a longer distance... Next Monday I can tell you more ;)