(poll) POGO CHARGER WORTH IT?

If you have a pogo charger, what is your opinion of it?

• Have it, love it, definitely faster charging!

Votes: 50 62.5%
  • seems to charge faster, can't really tell, placebo

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • charging seems barely different compared to usb

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • don't get it, not worth the $20+shipping

Votes: 14 17.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Megiddo2000

Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys so lately there's been a lot of discussion about the pogo charger.
I've checked all the threads and more than the value of the charger, the forums are filled with shipping complaints.
I can't seem to sort out the opinions and real comments on the pogo.

As such, for those really on the fence about getting a charger (like me) I made this poll, since there was one on screen protectors to help people choose.

Any comments made, please make constructive opinions on if you have a pogo charger, if it's worth it, etc. (not on your shipping problems please)

Thanks!

Last edited:

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I only bought it because I thought it would be able to charge my tablet while under heavy usage (1.7GHz performance gov + full brightness), and sadly it doesn't even seem capable of doing this.
I seem to remember somebody stating that under heavy usage they've saw a current drain over 3A. If your situation is the same, nothing is going to keep up with that which is over the max of the charging circuit. It's simple to test for that.

The POGO cord charges faster but stops during OTG usage, no ROM/kernel Dev's have tried to solve this issue so far. There may be another issue with cigarette lighter type power supply also.

three west

Dec 28, 2009
Madison, WI
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 6
Shipping just took time from Korea, now they have a US shipping source through Amazon.
I really like it, saves wear and tear on the USB. I charge at night, and never have enough time to use it that I run the battery in a day. The OTG complication is annoying, but liveable, and hopefully likely to be solved.

Ken401

Dec 26, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I like the reduced wear on the micro usb connection and additional safety of quicker disconnect if cord is yanked from tripping. I charge the tablet at night, so not too concerned whether charging is quicker. I would love to see some ideas on how to improvise a charging dock using this cable!

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012
I think whether it's worth it totally depends on the reason you want it. If you want to use OTG while charging or to do data transfer, it's obviously a bust.

These are the reasons I'm very happy with it, in order of priority:

1) Saves stress on the USB jack, especially if dropped or banged against something.
2) Easy to click onto the N10 when I'm done reading an ebook in bed at night and I'm sleepy.
3) Charges a bit faster than USB.

If you're looking for a miraculously shorter charge time then it's not worth getting.

Last edited:

UCSB

Mar 14, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Definitely worthwhile ... it is one of the nicest accessories I've purchased in a while. I purchased it only for the convenience of not having to mess with the mUSB charging. It delivered. My charging graphs indicate that it charges at a faster rate than the mUSB ... just a small extra bonus.

Steve_God

May 27, 2009
Manchester
I like the reduced wear on the micro usb connection and additional safety of quicker disconnect if cord is yanked from tripping. I charge the tablet at night, so not too concerned whether charging is quicker.

^^ this.

I bought it because I've had occasions where others in the house have messed up micro-usb connections on phones due to using them while still plugged in - with this, there's no way of easily damaging it :)

And so far, so good! Would really recommend it.

Last edited:

Bru87tr

Nov 25, 2012
Lowell, MA
I only bought it because I thought it would be able to charge my tablet while under heavy usage (1.7GHz performance gov + full brightness), and sadly it doesn't even seem capable of doing this.

Wow, max brightness ? I find the lowest setting really bright.

I did general usage on lowest brightness and it charged pretty good, IMO.

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
It was worth every penny and when they come back in stock at Amazon I will order another.

I use my tablet heavily throughout the day and found myself unable to charge it completely while I slept. Now using the stock wall wart and pogo it charges in a fraction of the time. Like I said, worth every penny.

dcnice

Jun 29, 2010
Charges faster, but was it worth it for me? Still undecided. The main reason for me getting it was to plug a HD into an OTG cable and still get power to the device via the POGO. Unfortunately that will not work. The POGO will not charge when running OTG. Shame.

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Back in stock on Amazon... Just ordered one tonight. I'm interested for two reasons. Slightly faster charging (not a big deal for me, as I generally plug it in at night, and use it much of the day), and I also like the idea of the pogo connector instead of using the USB socket every day. Should have it in 3 to 5 business days.

... beamed from my Nexus 10 to your planet

Reckless187

Dec 28, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just ordered one off eBay, should have it by the 20th at the latest. I spend a lot of time driving so carry the Nexus 10 around with me in the car and I've bent the USB plug on the cable so though I'm better off getting the pogo charger incase I damage the USB port on the tablet

mrlow999

Feb 14, 2013
Answer- Yes it is but...

Just got the pogo cable on Friday and did some testing over the weekend and have some results and observations.

I ran my N10 down to 10% Saturday and plugged in via the pogo cable at about 11:30pm. . When I checked Battery Monitor Widget the following morning it showed fully charged at 4am. Total time 4.5 hours. Max charging rate was at 1916mA and tapered to 415mA.

Sunday I did the same, (11% and 11:30pm) and used the USB cable. A check of BMW showed the N10 fully charged by 5am. Total time 5.5 hours. Max rate was 1559mA and a taper to 420mA.

So, an hour faster. Not huge, but significant. Overall I think the important thing with the pogo cable is that it will charge as you use it. When I plugged in with it before I turned the screen off I was showing a net charge, while with USB it continued to discharge, albeit slower.
Both of these (admittedly unscientific) tests were done with the OEM charger and USB cable.

indamix

Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
The pogo charger is a great way to save the USB port of the Nexus 10 if you have young kids. Since the pogo charger is magnetic, there no way to damage the tablet when a toddler yanks it off a desk while its charging. I am very happy with my pogo cable. Bought it off amazon and got it in 2 days.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Answer- Yes it is but...

Just got the pogo cable on Friday and did some testing over the weekend and have some results and observations.

I ran my N10 down to 10% Saturday and plugged in via the pogo cable at about 11:30pm. . When I checked Battery Monitor Widget the following morning it showed fully charged at 4am. Total time 4.5 hours. Max charging rate was at 1916mA and tapered to 415mA.

Sunday I did the same, (11% and 11:30pm) and used the USB cable. A check of BMW showed the N10 fully charged by 5am. Total time 5.5 hours. Max rate was 1559mA and a taper to 420mA.

So, an hour faster. Not huge, but significant. Overall I think the important thing with the pogo cable is that it will charge as you use it. When I plugged in with it before I turned the screen off I was showing a net charge, while with USB it continued to discharge, albeit slower.
    Both of these (admittedly unscientific) tests were done with the OEM charger and USB cable.