[Q] Google Now Hotword

Search This thread

micahmo

Mar 5, 2013
So I just got a Moto X. Out of the box, Google Now hotword detection ("Ok Google") worked perfectly both in Google Now and in the Google Now launcher that I sideloaded. Then, hotword detection randomly turned off. If I uninstall and reinstall updates to the Google Search app, hotword is temporarily fixed, but it won't last more than a day until it turns off again. This happens whether or not Motorola's own Touchless Controls are enabled or disabled.

It seems like some other app is causing it to turn off since a third-party hotword detection app wouldn't work, either, but I've hardly installed any apps since I just got it.

Also, I've already tried the most common suggestions such as ensuring that my voice input language is English (US) and making sure than no Accessibility options are enabled.

Any help to get back hotword detection would be greatly appreciated!

rupterr

Dec 3, 2013
The newest Google search update broke hotword. The only way to keep it working for now is to uninstall the update and not install it again until possibly the next update.

micahmo

Mar 5, 2013
Do you know what the latest version of Google Search is that still supports hotwords so I can grab an apk? When I revert back to the factory version of Google Search, it breaks the Google Now Launcher.

Also, any idea why hotwords would work for a while and then randomly stop. This has happened several times, all while I've had the same version of Search.

SoloDB

Dec 8, 2010
Uninstall back to 3.1. Make your changes then install 3.2, this is where Hotword Detection is still there but not selectable and Ok Google works. Now install 3.3, Hotword is no longer there but Ok Google still works. Don't install 3.4, you loose both.

Worked for me twice, I accidentally hit Update All and got 3.4 back, had to start over. I've been back on 3.3 for a week or so and Ok Google still works.

micahmo

Mar 5, 2013
I uninstalled to 3.1 (factory version), and did get hotword back, but I couldn't use the Google Now Launcher. Installed 3.2 and still had hotword, but still not Google Now Launcher. Finally, I installed 3.3, I still had hotword, and the Google Now Launcher worked. But a few hours later, hotword got disabled again.

It doesn't seem like the problem is tied to a version. I've gotten hotword to work with 3.4, but it becomes disabled after a little while of use.

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
I uninstalled to 3.1 (factory version), and did get hotword back, but I couldn't use the Google Now Launcher. Installed 3.2 and still had hotword, but still not Google Now Launcher. Finally, I installed 3.3, I still had hotword, and the Google Now Launcher worked. But a few hours later, hotword got disabled again.

It doesn't seem like the problem is tied to a version. I've gotten hotword to work with 3.4, but it becomes disabled after a little while of use.

In previous versions of Google search, you could say "Okay Google" instead of "Okay Google Now" to activate the hotword when you had the Google app open? I just recently bought the phone and it came already with the newest version of Google Now installed.

micahmo

Mar 5, 2013
I don't think you've ever been able to say "Ok Google Now" as a hotword to activate voice search in the Google app. "Ok Google Now" is Motorola's keyword for its Touchless Controls. Touchless Controls have always worked for me, but when I'm in the Google app (or in the Google Now launcher that I sideloaded), I prefer to use Google's own hotword, "Ok Google" to activate voice search.

Out of the box, my phone also came with the latest version of Google Now installed, and hotword worked out of the box, but for some reason it became disabled. Any time I uninstall and reinstall Google Search (or even clear data), hotword is restored temporarily, but then becomes disabled again after a while.

SoloDB

Dec 8, 2010
Did you leave Touchless Control untrained? I didn't disable it but it is untrained at the moment. My phone is a Developers Edition, unlocked and rooted, if that helps any.

I was able to use the Google Now Launcher on 3.2, maybe it is the version of the Launcher? Mine is 1.0.16.1154249 and I did side load it. I haven't
had any trouble with the hotword detection reverting to off as long as I say on 3.3.

Various threads in different forums say different things about this to being a Chrome problem to a Google Search problem to Motorola disabling it
on purpose so the it doesn't interfere with Touchless Control. I guess I'll have to see what happens when Search 3.5 comes out.

At the moment, I don't have a car so the parking feature doesn't have a relevance for me but setting a timer would be kind of useful. :)

If is is an accident, it would be nice it it were fixed quickly. If it is on purpose, I really wish someone would re evaluate the policy of not allowing a
function on a device that I purchased and would like to make the decision for my self. Just my opinion.

I do hope you find your solution. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and I have been really liking this phone so far as it is as close to the stock that the
GNex was.

micahmo

Mar 5, 2013
SoloDB said:
Did you leave Touchless Control untrained? I didn't disable it but it is untrained at the moment. My phone is a Developers Edition, unlocked and rooted, if that helps any.
No, I did train Touchless Control. I could try disabling it and then re-enabling it without training it, but I don't see how that would fix anything. I actually like using Touchless Control for when the phone is out of my reach (which is exactly what it's for), but it's kinda slow and doesn't always respond. Ideally, I'd like to use both Touchless Controls and Google's hotword.

My phone is the unlocked T-Mobile version and unrooted. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I was able to use the Google Now Launcher on 3.2, maybe it is the version of the Launcher? Mine is 1.0.16.1154249 and I did side load it.
My launcher version is 1.0.9.1039417, but I grabbed an APK of the same version you have and it still didn't work with Google Search 3.2.

Anyway, maybe an update to Google Search or Touchless Controls will fix it eventually.

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
According to Moto, the disabled this as it conflicts with Touchless Controls. I think that's BS, but whatever.

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
I was having a conversation with my fiancé earlier and Google Now popped up when I said "Ok, you" in conversation. I appreciated Google's sentiment. :)

Sent from my Moto X

micahmo

Mar 5, 2013
natezire71 said:
According to Moto, the disabled this as it conflicts with Touchless Controls.
TBH, this is the most likely explanation, since, no matter what version of Search I use, hotword works for a little while and then gets disabled. I even installed a third-party hotword-listening app, and it was disabled immediately. Really hope Moto rethinks this.

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
TBH, this is the most likely explanation, since, no matter what version of Search I use, hotword works for a little while and then gets disabled. I even installed a third-party hotword-listening app, and it was disabled immediately. Really hope Moto rethinks this.

I've raised this issue multiple times over on the Motorola Forums. The Forum Manager there told me that's what Motorola told him. It's unfortunate.

mh0520

Mar 6, 2012
I've raised this issue multiple times over on the Motorola Forums. The Forum Manager there told me that's what Motorola told him. It's unfortunate.

It sounded like he was going to bring it up and submit a report on the issue, using the conversation in the Motorola forums as a basis. It'd be nice if that led to hotword being re-enabled but who knows. Sounds like some software update is on the way, at least for t-mobile; maybe that will help. Wishful thinking...

Maybe 4.4.3 but who knows.

SoloDB

Dec 8, 2010
Google Now Hotword

If your phone is rooted, I think I have a solution for you. It's been working on my phone for about a day now. I don't think I have enough posts in to do any links, but if you go to Droid Life and read the article under "Google Makes “Ok Google” System-wide Hotword Detection Official" the is a link in the comments to a utility called UnLeashTheGoogle. Follow the instructions to get the Google Now stuff working. There is an added step however, look for hotword_blacklisted_devices and change the XT1060 to anything else, I used XT1000. I also went as far as disabling the Touchless Control app so that it wouldn't interfere with the Google Now functions.

All of you that use Touchless Control, great, it is a neat feature, but I prefer to use a more Nexus like feel. To each his own.

micahmo

Mar 5, 2013
SoloDB, that would be a great solution if I were rooted. It's almost tempting enough, although I don't feel like wiping my device at this point.

It's sad that even with the rollout of Google Now's always listening feature, it's still disabled on the Moto X. And it's obviously intentional since the device is blacklisted.

devytrip

Nov 14, 2010
SoloDB, that would be a great solution if I were rooted. It's almost tempting enough, although I don't feel like wiping my device at this point.

It's sad that even with the rollout of Google Now's always listening feature, it's still disabled on the Moto X. And it's obviously intentional since the device is blacklisted.

You can root using pie via the moto x toolkit without wiping anything. I just did this the other day, but I deleted everything from the blacklist section.

The only issue I'm having now is always listening via Bluetooth in my car (2013 Honda crz hands free link non-nav). It worked flawlessly with my galaxy nexus.

SoloDB

Dec 8, 2010
Yes, unfortunately you have to have root. The utility needs root and before I found UnleashTheGoogle I edited the Google Search app pref file to
alter the blacklist which got Ok Google working in the first place, I needed root for that as well being the folder is in the System area. The utility
got everything enabled as well.

I know there are security issues having a rooted phone, but I learned in the Galaxy Nexus days how valuable it is to have a bit more control of
the phone to do the kind of stuff you'd like to do other than what Verizon and, in the case of the Moto X, the manufacturer would "prefer" you to do. The Developers Edition of
Moto X really has made the transition away from the old Galaxy Nexus really easy.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Now Hotword

If your phone is rooted, I think I have a solution for you. It's been working on my phone for about a day now. I don't think I have enough posts in to do any links, but if you go to Droid Life and read the article under "Google Makes “Ok Google” System-wide Hotword Detection Official" the is a link in the comments to a utility called UnLeashTheGoogle. Follow the instructions to get the Google Now stuff working. There is an added step however, look for hotword_blacklisted_devices and change the XT1060 to anything else, I used XT1000. I also went as far as disabling the Touchless Control app so that it wouldn't interfere with the Google Now functions.

All of you that use Touchless Control, great, it is a neat feature, but I prefer to use a more Nexus like feel. To each his own.