Nova, Apex, Trebuchet

Search This thread

DesertVelo

Jan 21, 2011
Using Apex as well.... install the launcher as a system app and you are good to go. Titanium Backup can move it for you. Beware that you will loose the launcher when you flash or format "system".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

brendonlee

Oct 13, 2011
Charlotte
Using Apex as well.... install the launcher as a system app and you are good to go. Titanium Backup can move it for you. Beware that you will loose the launcher when you flash or format "system".

I agree - Apex all the way.

As far as flashing, what I've been doing is, when I download a new nightly, just use 7zip to navigate to system/app, remove trebuchet & add whatever the latest beta of Apex is. Then, when you install it, it saves all your prefs & you don't have to think about multiple launchers installed.

Reactions: StyxCrosser

AndAllThingsWillEnd

Feb 17, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I like apex it has a little more options to customize things like folders and how they look. It was a little annoying how I couldn't put Widgets down from application drawer but if you long press screen you could place widget down or download apex apk and move it to system apps through root explorer and reboot.

With apex you have to have it set as a system app in order to put down Widgets from the drawer.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: StyxCrosser

cepsbow

Feb 3, 2012
PSL

As far as flashing, what I've been doing is, when I download a new nightly, just use 7zip to navigate to system/app, remove trebuchet & add whatever the latest beta of Apex is. Then, when you install it, it saves all your prefs & you don't have to think about multiple launchers installed.

+1 Apex all the way. By far the smoothest, least buggy launcher I've used for ICS

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

werds

Dec 29, 2011
Millsboro, DE
+1 Apex all the way. By far the smoothest, least buggy launcher I've used for ICS

I have to agree here. Just been spending some alone time with Apex, at first I wasn't sure how I felt about it but the longer I mess with it the more I LOVE it. All the little customizations are there and fairly well thought out. I can also say that out of all the launchers I have messed with it has the least bugs outstanding that I could tell.

PS I love that my phone now auto-rotates the home screen completely. :)

Steelhog

Mar 29, 2012
Down on the upside
I have been lurking here for a couple of months now since purchasing the I777 and I think have tried most ROM, kernel, and launcher combinations. APEX became the one constant and I have not looked back. I love its simplicity and ease of set up, and now I am not preoccupied with launchers I have more play time with the great choice of ROM available.

Adelaide.

Feb 25, 2010
My vote is for apex. I was using launcher pro on unnamed and apex got me the closest to my old set up. I use a minimalist text based set up with folders to organize things. It also seems to be the most customizable of the the three. I use trebuchet on my touchpad and I like it, but I prefer to tweak my phone a bit more.

Last edited:

sdmark

Jul 26, 2010
San Diego
I was using Go prior to ICS, I went to Nova Prime...I really like it. It's very fast and like the gesture controls

Biporch

Mar 4, 2012
Apex by a long shot.
All Nova has to rival it is the smoothness and some features one does not eve expect to use,.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

jcracken

Oct 5, 2011
Litchfield Park
Not much love for Trebuchet, but I still like it the most. The problem I usually have with changing launchers is that I can always tell that they aren't stock, especially with Apex or Nova. They just feel... different. I don't know how to explain it. That's why I always stuck with the stock launcher in Gingerbread. With Trebuchet, it's the closest you can get to the stock launcher and still have extra features. I tried both Nova and Apex; Nova I didn't like specifically because it didn't have the Tablet page transitions that Trebuchet has. I don't remember if Apex did, but I still ended up back to Trebuchet.

As for theming, I don't really use custom icons, and so right now the inability to theme in Trebuchet is fine with me. Eventually, I'm hoping, they add in this functionality. After all, it is an Alpha and they did leave placeholders in the Trebuchet menu for this.

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
I never really cared one way or the other till yesterday. I had been using Nova pretty much all the time. Just for fun I did a few searches and found Apex. And I'm never going back. The feature list is just amazing compared to Nova. I'm taking about the free versions of course.

Actorios

Jun 17, 2009
London
Google Pixel 3 XL
I love apex, mostly because of the gestures in the free version. You have to pay for that feature in nova. And i also can remove the search bar. I cant remember being able to do that in the free nova version.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
I have all 3 on my i777.
+ Trebuchet. Only Homescreen and Drawer are usable, the rest (docks, icons) virtually useless.
+ Nova. Gestures, Hide Apps, Drawer Groups, .... require Prime. PAID???
+ Apex. For personal references, it's a long mile a head.

Uninstall the first 2 soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not trying to make a versus thread. I have tried all three and to be completely honest they all basically feel the same to me- I was just wondering if there are any snazzy features in one absent in the other. I am personally using Nova launcher currently but it has stopped working on me several times on AOKP build 32. Also if anyone could give a little input for reliability on either apex or trebuchet as i've been using Nova the longest I believe.
    I use Nova and paid for Prime. It's only a little bit of money. I tried Apex and didn't like it as much. I didn't like Trebuchet because I couldn't do anything about the dock. Roll with what you want.

I like apex it has a little more options to customize things like folders and how they look. It was a little annoying how I couldn't put Widgets down from application drawer but if you long press screen you could place widget down or download apex apk and move it to system apps through root explorer and reboot.

With apex you have to have it set as a system app in order to put down Widgets from the drawer.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    I wanted to use trebuchet but couldnt figure out how to use custom icons for the dock. Or is this even possible?

Have you tried changing the icons and then dragging them to the dock?