Games with Native Gamepad Support

Search This thread

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
how you get gta3 to work properly with controller. my controller can move the character around but the buttons don't do anything. plus I didn't where to map actual hardware controller buttons in gt3 settings.

with gunman Clive, my controller works but the button for jump is merged with shoot. so i can shoot by pressing a button and if I press the button for jump, it jumps and shoots at the same time..lol

I'm going to make a Google Docs of some sort that lists all the controls & button mappings for each game.

But for GTA III, are you using a USB gamepad that's plugged in or PS3 controller via the Sixaxis app? If you're a USB gamepad that's plugged in you'll have to wait a few hours for me to update that google doc. If you're using the Sixaxis app you need to check for two things. Go to Preferences -> Gamepad settings and:
  1. Make sure Enable Gamepad is checked.
  2. Click Edit Mappings and change:
    - "Cross" to "A"
    - "Circle" to "B"
    - "Square" to X"
    - "Triangle" to "Y"
For some reason the developer of Sixaxis has a few of those mixed up.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I'm going to make a Google Docs of some sort that lists all the controls & button mappings for each game.

But for GTA III, are you using a USB gamepad that's plugged in or PS3 controller via the Sixaxis app? If you're a USB gamepad that's plugged in you'll have to wait a few hours for me to update that google doc. If you're using the Sixaxis app you need to check for two things. Go to Preferences -> Gamepad settings and:
    - "Cross" to "A"
    - "Circle" to "B"
    - "Square" to X"
    - "Triangle" to "Y"

im using an old pc usb dual analog stick controller i found laying around(i had forgot i had one). Its a Saitek. It works well for most of my emulators like snesoid & Neodroid(controller works great for playing the many fighting games i have on this). it has a 6 button layout. buttons are numbered versus letters or shapes. i also have two trigger buttons. in those two games i previously listed in other post, how do i map my controller? i can only run in gt3 but buttons don't do anything.

i also can get my controller to work with onlive gaming. is there a way to really activate it or get onlive to recognize it. I'm only able to scroll through menus and such in onlive but when it comes to playing the games, it doesn't do anything. touch controls & my keyboard dock works well on the games.

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
im using an old pc usb dual analog stick controller i found laying around(i had forgot i had one). Its a Saitek. It works well for most of my emulators like snesoid & Neodroid(controller works great for playing the many fighting games i have on this). it has a 6 button layout. buttons are numbered versus letters or shapes. i also have two trigger buttons. in those two games i previously listed in other post, how do i map my controller? i can only run in gt3 but buttons don't do anything.

i also can get my controller to work with onlive gaming. is there a way to really activate it or get onlive to recognize it. I'm only able to scroll through menus and such in onlive but when it comes to playing the games, it doesn't do anything. touch controls & my keyboard dock works well on the games.

Two things to address.

1) You could post a picture of your controller and that would help things somewhat. However, I think as long as you use a "unofficial" controller of some sort then you'll never be able to guarantee compatibility. I really recommend scrounging up as much money as you can and buying a used PS3 controller from your local gaming store. It's wireless, you can use it with a wire, you don't need root to use it (though this method requires connecting with the wire first every time), and you get the added benefit of being able to set up touch profiles with Sixaxis.

2) OnLive only works in games with the official OnLive controller. However, there is an apk floating around of a modded version of OnLive that supports all gamepads. You can find it in this thread here. The caveat is that the guy who did it hasn't released a new version since 1.2, and OnLive is currently on 1.3 which fixed a lot of bugs.

"Another World" also works great (and is half off right now, if you're interested).

I read this post in a tab that was immediately after reading about this game. I'll add it to the list, and I'm excited to try it!

Get ready to add Max Payne here soon :D

Youuuu said it. I'm really excited too. Rockstar did a *fantastic* job with their Android release and gamepad compatibility.

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
To add in regards to Another World...

It looks like the developer has released another quality game (I now remember reading about it a few months ago) that has both Xperia Play optimization and Zeemote optimization. This is probably a good sign that it's gamepad-compatible if anyone is interested in that type of game and willing to try it out for me.

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
I also purchased Virtual Tennis to see if that would work (since it has support for xperia play), but the darn game will not launch (force closes on start). If anyone gets that to work, I'd love to hear how.

Keep us updated if you hear anything. That was an Xperia-exclusive for a couple of months. I played the bejeezus out of Virtua Tennis on the original Xbox. Would love to get that going on the Prime. For some reason there's a dearth of good sports games.

If people only realized they could play Madden with a gamepad on a tablet they could take with them wherever they went...

guardzero

Mar 1, 2011
You can add these to the list as well-

RPG Aeon Avenger
RPG Eve of the Genesis
RPG Grinsia
RPG Symphony of Eternity
RPG Alphadia
Zenonia 4

All of these work with the ps3 controller for me with no issues.

Reactions: bogolisk

- "Cross" to "A"
    - "Circle" to "B"
    - "Square" to X"
    - "Triangle" to "Y"

Where are the controller mappings saved once they're created within a game's settings/preferences menu? I still have not been able to get any of the..map files, that I've downloaded from others on here, to work at all and I've placed them in many location per what I've read but still no luck... Thanks for any info about it!

***EDIT: Finally figured it out, and of course I was being a noob and overlooking an obvious step. Lol. The more I learn about Android over the years the more I overlook the simple stuff and start digging deep thinking it must be something more in depth I'm not doing :facepalm

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

dragonithe

Jun 9, 2010
Hello, sorry if this question has already been answerd somewere else.
But when I use my wireless xbox controler with the pc dongle connected to the dock and I play a games as GTA III or shadowgun the screen starts to turn to the left and there's not much i can do about it other than press a button that makes the screen turn to the right.
I know my controllers have a problem with the deadzone being at about 20% of the stick movement. But in games as cordy or sonic I don't have the problem that the charter starts to run to the left or at least I can make them stand in still when I centre my stick.
Is there something I can do about or is the only option to buy a diffrent controler?

Bugblatter

Nov 19, 2008
From memory with my PS3 controller the movement worked straight away but I think I had to set the other buttons up within the game's settings.

bjones.2385

Dec 5, 2011
Martin
I have a Power A wireless/usb PS3 controller and I can do everything, except pull the trigger and shoot someone. I haven't found a way to remap the buttons, yet, but I am thinking a small update by RockStar would fix this problem for everyone. The exclusivity of having to own specially branded game-pads is the reason I have not played Max Payne Mobile since I purchased it. My fault for assuming, supports gamepads, meant ALL GAMEPADS!!! lol

theandies

For me max payne dont work with gamepad. I can move max around but the buttons wont do anything.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

My Gamestop controller won't work with Dead Trigger either. I can move him around with the joystick but none of the buttons work execpt for the escape button that exits the game. The controller mapping doesn't work at all. Very frustrating as I paid good money for my GS controller that doesn't work on some games. I tried one of my Wii controllers, same thing.

bjones.2385

Dec 5, 2011
Martin
My Gamestop controller won't work with Dead Trigger either. I can move him around with the joystick but none of the buttons work execpt for the escape button that exits the game. The controller mapping doesn't work at all. Very frustrating as I paid good money for my GS controller that doesn't work on some games. I tried one of my Wii controllers, same thing.

I can do everything, except shoot. When I pull both triggers and bumpers it cycles through my weapons. I can interact, jump, stunt moves, but do not have any access to bullet-time, nor fire control. Very weird.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just recently purchased a PS3 controller after sir_earl was able to emulate native gamepad support in his Sixaxis app. After using it very successfully with my Prime, I find that I am pretty much only playing games with gamepad support. Currently I rotate back and forth between GTA III, Shadowgun THD, Riptide GP, and Cordy. How about anyone else? Please list any and all games with native gamepad support. Also, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, if a game has Xperia Play support then it will also respond as if it has the same aforementioned gamepad support. And if a mod deems it worthy enough I could see this being pinned at the top. I promise to have it nicely formatted. :)
    I would like to keep this list to only games people have actually tested in person. Thanks.

Complete Compatibility

Somewhat Compatible
    this thread is now linked in my sticky thread. The Official Tegra3/Prime Gamer's Thread. ;) help the op build up this list if games you come across meet guidelines in his op. this lists, especially mines, aren't easy to put together. I only use the prime tablet itself for my list. very long sessions of copy n paste..lol. my dock will be here soon though.
    Alright folks, I spent my afternoon installing and testing games. All tested using a ps3 controller (and yes, I have an app purchasing problem. As far as vices go, it could be worse). If I get time over the weekend, I'll try some more games.

Full Support
    Eve of Genesis HD: Yes, Square works as the confirm button, L1 pulls up the menu. Works well.
    Edge: Yes!
    Edge Extended: Yes!
    Overkill: Yes, you might have to disable the back key in the options, though. Otherwise firing would make the game exit for me. Otherwise, worked great.
    Pac-Man Championship Edition: Yes!
    Radiant HD: Everything works, even switching weapons.
    Samuraii Vengence II: It technically works, but the button mapping on the ps3 is terrible. You have to use select and start to attack, with clicking the right stick to roll.
    Symphony of Eternity: Yes, Square works as the confirm button, L1 pulls up the menu. Works well.
    Zen Pinball: Yes, you can control the flippers. Haven't figured out how to launch the ball, but being able to use the flippers is good enough, IMO.
    Zenonia 3: Yes. I would assume 4 as well, but haven't verified yet.

Partial
    Final Space: Can control the ship, but no button will fire
    Doodle Jump: Menus work, but the game is obviously built for tilt control
    Impossible: Jump works, but no way to set progress flag.
    R-Type: You can control the ship with d-pad or left analog, but no button fires. Playable if you set the option to auto fire.
    Reckless Getaway: Almost perfect. Car controls great, but no way to use special pickups other than tapping on the screen.

Didn't Work:
    Age of Zombies: No
    Shogun HD: No
    Pinball Arcade HD: No
    9mm: No
    Fifa 12: No
    Pac-Man: No
    Konas Crate: No
    Kill Box: No
    Super Monkey Ball 2: No
    A Game With Balls: No
    Crazy Rings: No
    Backyard Zombies: No
    Block Breaker 3 HD: No
    Asphalt 6: No
    Carnival Pinball: No
    Dead on Arrival: No
    Emissary of War: No
    Heist: No
    GT Racing Motor Acadamy: No
    Night Ride: No
    Meteor Blitz: No
    Grabatron: No
    Roboto: No
    Sinister Planet: No
    Smuggle Truck: No
    Super Stickman Golf: No
    Samarai vs Zombies: No
    Chicken Bandit: No
    Trial Extreme 2: No
    Zombie Wonderland 2: No
    I also purchased Virtual Tennis to see if that would work (since it has support for xperia play), but the darn game will not launch (force closes on start). If anyone gets that to work, I'd love to hear how.
    You can add Sleepy Jack and Shine Runner to that list. I've also been looking around for games that have native gamepad support. Some work, but not very well.