Delay when answering/placing calls post 4.3

Search This thread

nicksylph

Jan 24, 2014
So I recently upgraded to 4.3 stock rom, rooted and I don't think I have Knox. Anyways everything works fine with the exception of phone calls. Whenever someone calls me and I pickup, it takes about 10 seconds before the speaker/mic turn on. There is also a delay in the speak/mic when I place calls. Any ideas on what happened? This is actually the second time I've upgraded to 4.3 and the last time I went back to 4.1.2 it fixed the same issue. I'm running version L710VPUCMK3

nicksylph

Jan 24, 2014
So I recently upgraded to 4.3 stock rom, rooted and I don't think I have Knox. Anyways everything works fine with the exception of phone calls. Whenever someone calls me and I pickup, it takes about 10 seconds before the speaker/mic turn on. There is also a delay in the speak/mic when I place calls. Any ideas on what happened? This is actually the second time I've upgraded to 4.3 and the last time I went back to 4.1.2 it fixed the same issue. I'm running version L710VPUCMK3

Any ideas here? I'm really wanting to keep 4.3 but might have to revert back 4.1.2 but I don't really want to.

thedumbass

Oct 20, 2010
I have this exact same issue.

I have two phones ported to Ting. Both running rooted stock 4.3 without Knox.

Ting has tried a few things on their end. Nothing has helped.

I use my phone for work and have annoyed a few people in other departments with the 'hello, (pause) hello?, pause um HELLO?' before either of us can hear the other. I've gotten to the point where I answer the phone, take a breath, put the phone to my ear, count to 2, actually say hello. Sometimes I still have to say 'hello' again.

thedumbass

Oct 20, 2010
CNexus,

Your suggestion helped but did not solve the problem. Went from 3 hellos plus pauses to being heard on the 2nd hello.

Ring, ring, see the call pop up on screen, slide to answer, slight pause to verify the phone answered, hold to ear, hello, nothing hello? and I was heard.

Better, but not perfect. I could live with it if I have to.

Think I may flash through a few roms this weekend and then return to this one. See if it solves itself the rest of the way with another rom.

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
I've been having similar issues. Sometimes the other caller can hear me but I can't hear them and vice versa. And some calls are 'choppy'. I also get a big delay after dialing sometimes.

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
So far my calls have been much better after using Odin to go back to stock md4. I'm wary of flashing mk3 now.

Last edited:

nicksylph

Jan 24, 2014
So far my calls have been much better after using Odin to go back to stock md4. I'm wary of flashing mk3 now.

Yeah I've never had a problem with stock MD4. Sadly I really like 4.3 and would hate to have to go back. Anyone have a link to just a stock fully functional MK3 modem I can try and force in through odin? I'm pretty green on this stuff but it's obviously just the modem that has an issue...or am I wrong here?

Reactions: metalfan78

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
I flashed back to MOAR 8.0 this morning, I'm hoping the call issues don't return. I saw an Odin flashable modem in the development section so you might want to look there.

nicksylph

Jan 24, 2014
there is a recovery flash modem in the general forum for sprint

I actually found this about 15min ago and just did some testing with a friend and the delay is gone. I can now make and receive calls without any delay in the mic/speaker! The modem (as well as my rom) are from CNexus I really didn't think it was going to work but it did and I'm stoked! Thanks everyone for generating some talk on this odd problem.

Here is a link to the modem for the rest of you. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2538978

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So what you're basically saying is that Samsung screwed the pooch?

Not at all. I'm saying that Samsung is playing fast and loose with the GPL. The MK3 kernel source contains any number of tricks to keep it from building correctly unless Samsung is building it themselves. Without patching it, exFAT support is (silently) skipped, the a2220 driver uses AT&T's firmware instead of Sprint's, and there's likely a few more bugs affecting the a2220 and video drivers (and possibly others as well).

EDIT: To clarify, some of the source code uses magic #define macros and directory layouts in order to change how it's built. Without being built by Samsung's build tree, that magic is missing and the resulting kernel isn't functionally equivalent to the kernel Samsung provided. GPLv2 doesn't explicitly forbid this, so they're technically compliant.
    Yup, what he said could not be more spot on...

For example, take a look at my commit here: https://github.com/cnexus/kernel_tw_43/commit/75f9e924c28a9d88cfe9b9c9b477c0c68621a87a

That line that I removed was originally only pulling in exfat if some folder way up in Samsung build tree exists. And so, since we don't have the same build setup as Samsung, exfat gets skipped unless you remove that

Yeah I've never had a problem with stock MD4. Sadly I really like 4.3 and would hate to have to go back. Anyone have a link to just a stock fully functional MK3 modem I can try and force in through odin? I'm pretty green on this stuff but it's obviously just the modem that has an issue...or am I wrong here?
    TL;DR: I'm working on fixing this. The work I've done recently is rolled up in this kernel, and it sounds like it's helping with at least one person's issues.

I suspect this is a collection of major kernel bugs caused by the new Sprint a2220 (voice processor) firmware (or lack thereof). As far as I can tell, the problem basically boils down to this: the dialer is trying to configure the a2220 incorrectly and causes a bunch of errors; instead of recovering gracefully, the driver completely resets the chip, which typically takes between 5 and 15 seconds. The dialer (and the person at the other end of the call) have to wait for the chip to reboot before the call can properly begin.

There's at least two issues at play here: kernels don't pull in the correct firmware and the a2220 driver absolutely sucks. I fixed the firmware issue a while back (this commit), and I'm currently working on completely rewriting the driver (it's beyond saving) to handle error conditions better and not cause them as often.

If anyone is feeling adventurous, I'd appreciate help testing the new driver. Any feedback (helps? doesn't? crashes?) would be helpful.

EDIT: There's a new, better-behaved build here.
    EDIT 2: My changes are merged into my kernel, available here.
    Just wanted to put this out there - I am running this new kernel by @decimalman and so far so good - it has drastically improved the dialer lag and I have had much better sound quality during calls with noise reduction active - I'm on a VM S3 running the MK5 build of 4.3 TW by @jdsingle76 -

From my GSIII - jd's Stock/Rooted/Deodexed 4.3