Instructions on How to Wipe the Cache Partition on Stock Hardware

Search This thread

Psychoferno

Mar 25, 2013
Porto Alegre
ok dude thx! did you see any difference? in battery? or in something else?

The drain seems a bit more stable, with intervals of low discharge. But it is too early to make a definitive assessment.

Sent from my XT1033 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391552791654.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391552791654.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 223

neu - smurph

May 14, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
The drain seems a bit more stable, with intervals of low discharge. But it is too early to make a definitive assessment.

Less anomolous wake-ups for me so after a cache wipe so better standby time

I've noted some interesting patterns in location based wake-ups. Mine is set to Battery Saving (e.g Wifi and Network based) unless using Navigation, and I have the advanced wifi option 'scanning always available' off. Wifi is only on at home. When I'm at work at my desk my phone gets a rock solid signal and if not in use use stays firmly asleep with negligible battery drain through the course of the day (2-3% over 8-9 hours).

If I'm in a meeting room on the other side of the building the signal is very dodgy and the phone is waking up every 10 minutes - I'm theorising these are location based wake-ups. I also get wake-ups when driving even if not using navigation - probably because of the rapid moving between different cells. Previously I had more wakeups keeping wifi on, or having the scanning always available option on. Again I theorise that in areas with a high concentration of wifi networks you get more wakeups.

Some people have reported better battery life using Device Only (GPS) for location. I wonder if they are often in poor signal areas, or with a high concentration of wifi networks? Device only drains more for me overall.

Reactions: eemgee

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside

I've noted some interesting patterns in location based wake-ups. Mine is set to Battery Saving (e.g Wifi and Network based) unless using Navigation, and I have the advanced wifi option 'scanning always available' off. Wifi is only on at home. When I'm at work at my desk my phone gets a rock solid signal and if not in use use stays firmly asleep with negligible battery drain through the course of the day (2-3% over 8-9 hours).

If I'm in a meeting room on the other side of the building the signal is very dodgy and the phone is waking up every 10 minutes - I'm theorising these are location based wake-ups. I also get wake-ups when driving even if not using navigation - probably because of the rapid moving between different cells. Previously I had more wakeups keeping wifi on, or having the scanning always available option on. Again I theorise that in areas with a high concentration of wifi networks you get more wakeups.

Some people have reported better battery life using Device Only (GPS) for location. I wonder if they are often in poor signal areas, or with a high concentration of wifi networks? Device only drains more for me overall.
Hmmm this a good observation and explains a lot.

it also explained how location history is so accurate without GPS if you go to Google.com/dashboard

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
    2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS 
    3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
    Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited [too] long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again. 
    4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress (logo with Exclamation mark)
    5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key
    Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
    6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE) 
    7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option
    8. The device will then perform the partition wipe
    9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Got this from a chat with Motorola help on their website. Had to have a Google+ account to order the phone in the first place, and once again needed a Google+ account to get to the chat support.

After OTA upgrade to Kitkat and installing a few apps the battery was down to zero within four hours. After clearing the cache partition the battery life has gone up to a far more respectable six to seven days. Hope this isn't a repost.

Edit: From what little I could glean from the battery information in vanilla settings app, poor battery performance was being caused by the phone refusing to go into idle mode, with the "Phone idle" hovering in the low single digit range.

Edit 2: Here's the link to the Motorola chat support page for the Moto G.
    Code:
    https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service/p/30,6720,9050//action/auth#/service
    Do you know where I should place the .zip file? I put it in the root but nothing flashed when I selected the option.

I haven't the foggiest. I don't plan on flashing other roms to the Moto G as the stock rom is good enough for my meager use. Just posting info that I thought might not be plastered across the internet already.

have you got location services on high accuracy?

Chose to disable location services for personal reasons.
    and you had it disabled before you wiped cache but still had the battery problem?

Correct. Was getting the battery problem even with the phone in airplane mode (all radios off.)
    Right after I get into the wipe cache menu, it shows the whole system folders - data, Android and stuff. I dont believe it wiped anything at all, what do I have to choose?

The same thing happened to me. Googled and found the following solution, which seems to explain what happened.

1) Firstly, go to bootloader mode:

a) Turn off the phone
    b) When holding volume rocker down (Vol-) press power button

2) Turn on the recovery
    Click 'Vol-' to scroll down the list to recovery and then 'Vol+' to select (you do not select with power)

3) To perform factory reset:
    Select the wipe data/factory reset option. If it only wipes cache you have bugged recovery (When you try to do a wipe cache it will give you the option to install a package)

4) Wiping cache and factory reset on bugged recovery:
    To do Wipe cache choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    and to Wipe Data/Factory Reset choose Apply update via ADB

That's works to me.