Stick with the GS5 or go with the OPO

Search This thread

jellymonster442

Nov 27, 2012
I have an AT&T Galaxy S5 right now, but the One Plus One seems to be the better phone. Should I make the switch? Or stick with what I have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
I have an AT&T Galaxy S5 right now, but the One Plus One seems to be the better phone. Should I make the switch? Or stick with what I have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Personally I'll never but a mobile Samsung device again, so were I to advise you I'd drop the S5 and get the One. It's cheaper, won't have a locked bootloader and should have tremendous community support due to the affordability and CM relationship.

Of course, the last part is contingent on overall availability - hopefully that won't be an issue.

Jubi Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Since you're on XDA we'll assume rooting and customization are important to you which pretty much makes the AT&T version of the Galaxy S5 a non-starter.

The OPO is closer in size to the Galaxy Note 3 than the S5 though, so you'd need to decide if the size is right for you to begin with.

GS5 has a great camera so that might factor into your decision too. We have yet to see any head to head image comparisons between GS5 and OPO but it's my understanding the OPO uses the same camera as the Oppo Find 7/a. I *have* seen a head to head comparison between the Find 7a and GS5 and the Samsung images were better, so it's reasonable to assume similar results may be seen with the OPO. I look forward to seeing a good shootout comparison, hopefully soon.

Since you're on AT&T it's worth noting that OPO only supports two out of AT&T's four LTE bands. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I assume the AT&T GS5 supports all 4 AT&T LTE bands, meaning it may perform better on AT&T's network in high traffic areas where those other two LTE bands are in use.

If you're eligible for a subsidized phone on contract from AT&T then the GS5 is cheaper. Otherwise at full price the OPO is cheaper.

Finally, OPO has no SD card expansion slot, the battery is not removable and it's not waterproof, so the GS5 wins in those categories too (except the lack a 32GB version of the GS5 is lame despite the SD card slot). The workarounds are to buy the 64GB OPO variant, carry a portable charger and don't drop it in the toilet. Probably not deal-breakers but still worth noting.

I don't understand

Please help me understand something.
It's not just this thread, but I see multiple threads on XDA and several other sites.
"should I keep X, or switch to Y".

Does your current device work, are you happy with it, does it do everything you like?
Why would you switch then, other than fill a fixation with something newer.
I see it all the time. People replace their phones, cars, houses, because something new
comes along or "everyone" is doing it. I guess I'm old...I just don't get the narcissistic need
to be getting the newest anything all the time. Is ANYONE happy anymore?

digitalicecream

Jun 25, 2010
It's not just this thread, but I see multiple threads on XDA and several other sites.

Does your current device work, are you happy with it, does it do everything you like?
I see it all the time. People replace their phones, cars, houses, because something new
comes along or "everyone" is doing it. I guess I'm old...I just don't get the narcissistic need

We're not meant to understand it. You and I grew up in a different time when we learned to be content with what we had and make the most of it. We drank a simpler KoolAid.

Over the last 20+ years advertising has zombified the millenials to believe that a new version of X is what is required to be happy. You see it everywhere these days. 4 year old car? So sorry you almost paid it off, come trade it in so we can bilk your for a new one. Cell phone almost 6 months old? Rent a new one from us at a premium price!

It's the new oppression/slavery. Keep you in debt buying smartphones so that you never look up to see that they've taken your rights, your savings, away. The TV industry is now attempting to follow suite with cellphones. HD4K is here and HD8K is already being touted attempting to get folks to dump their current 1080p displays.

For once, I'm glad to be older.

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas

My current device works, but not at 100%. The USB port no longer functions so I can't hook it up to my computer. Also, my battery is giving out (dies in half a day). Otherwise, it does everything I like. So I'm shopping around for a new device. I'm just dropping by to see if it's a reasonable upgrade, or if I should wait for something else.

So people's decision to upgrade isn't always simply fixated on something being newer. People get new houses when their family outgrows their older one. People often buy themselves a nicer car when they can finally afford one after getting a better job. Plenty of reasons why people do the things they do. You shouldn't judge them for it, even if it's simply because they want something newer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't understand

We're not meant to understand it. You and I grew up in a different time when we learned to be content with what we had and make the most of it. We drank a simpler KoolAid.

Over the last 20+ years advertising has zombified the millenials to believe that a new version of X is what is required to be happy. You see it everywhere these days. 4 year old car? So sorry you almost paid it off, come trade it in so we can bilk your for a new one. Cell phone almost 6 months old? Rent a new one from us at a premium price!

It's the new oppression/slavery. Keep you in debt buying smartphones so that you never look up to see that they've taken your rights, your savings, away. The TV industry is now attempting to follow suite with cellphones. HD4K is here and HD8K is already being touted attempting to get folks to dump their current 1080p displays.

For once, I'm glad to be older.