Ask noob(newb) questions here.

Search This thread

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
I've noticed there's alot of new people here. I figured I'd give you guys a place to ask questions that might be common knowledge to the more experienced people here.

So ask away.....

tritrung

Jan 6, 2008
There is just 1GB on the NT for users to contain their own data, right? So, if I got a microSD, can I expand my own data storage?

And after rooted, can I install the apk or download games/apps on the Android market?

P/S: Sorry, my English it not good. :D

ms2003

Jan 22, 2010
ShangHai
i'm also a new guy. but i can help answer some simple questions to reduce senior guys' work load. if not correct, please point out.

to tritrung's questions, here's my answer:
default 1G data's usage just like TF card, you can store your files on TF card and the 1G internal storage, and it will be 2 folders, not one.
12G storage is used to install apks, which almost no limit for applications.

even if you don't rooted, you can install most programs, but if you want use google market, you need to root the device

tritrung

Jan 6, 2008
i'm also a new guy. but i can help answer some simple questions to reduce senior guys' work load. if not correct, please point out.

default 1G data's usage just like TF card, you can store your files on TF card and the 1G internal storage, and it will be 2 folders, not one.

even if you don't rooted, you can install most programs, but if you want use google market, you need to root the device
Thank you very much!
By the way, have you used the Nook Tablet? Is its touchscreen sensitive? :)

ewbradford

Nov 25, 2011
Advice for micro SDHC cards for Nook Color hold the same for Nook Tablet?

I have been doing research on what Micro SDHC cards are best for the NT. From the XDA forum for Nook color, the best cards going are those that are class 4 from San Disk that are 16GB in memory due to the read/write speeds for smalls block random files. (Nook color benefits tremendously from this when custom ROMs are loaded I believe). Link is here for above info:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1005633&highlight=learn+to+love+cm7

With the hardware upgrade for the NT, does the above still hold true? Or can I now start searching for higher class micro SDHC cards (class 6 or even 10)? Planning on getting my NT in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. These XDA forums are great for finding great answers/solutions to problems. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, Eric in San Diego, CA

Last edited:

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
Yes pretty much everything in that thread still applies and is pretty sound advice. In general the higher the class the better. I have a class 10 16gb in mine. For just stuff like playing music any class is fine. When you start to get into advanced things like booting roms from sd or apps2sd is where class really starts to matter. One of the important things to remember is the class rating is the minimum speed that model should write. Like with my Sandisk 32gb class 4 alot of people were reporting write speeds around 6-8mbs/sec. Another example is the Sandisk in the thread you linked. Those are around $35 on Bens outlet or I heard newegg has them too. Good luck!

Reactions: ewbradford

mtemal

Sep 2, 2010
Where do files download to by default? Ive tried to download some pictures and other files via the web browser. The notification area on thr bottom says the files have been downloaded but it wont open them. For instance, with an apk I downloaded from this forum when i click to open it it says "cannot open file".

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Never mind just found it.

/mnt/media/My Files/My Downloads

skeeterpro

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
OK. Lots of newer users here so let me touch on a few things that should well translate from the NC.

1. uSD classes: seems to matter little when using apps. Seldom are the speeds accurate anyway. Use reputable brands. Sandisc one of the best.
2. Never format uSD in your device. Always on your computer. Don't use Windows format. Often creates problems. Use this. Free and never failed me.
3. Root is optional for the NT right now. Certain apps require root access BUT untill a workable recovery scheme is devised I would recommend sideloading. Always unmount before removing. Yes, OTA will work and GApps will update.
4. I've not seen yet a reliable method of re-partitioning the eMMC for the NT (might have missed it if so) therefore sideloading would appear a workable plan for now.
5. If the hurdles can be overcome (and it is early yet, people) to achieve root + recovery many options will open but the NT appears pretty darn good as it is. Patience is a plus.
6. Search function and Google search is your friend. Xda is phenomenal but there are many other forums and many senior members post/read to several.
7. Research what you want to do before doing it. God knows I learned that the hard way myself! :)
8. An app called App2SD can help you moved apps that will function from the uSD and clear space on the eMMC.
9. Did I mention read and research?
10. One last thing...it's always good form to click "thanks" when assistance is lent.

The senior people on here once were where you are now and are happy to lend a hand. Read the Xda rules and all should be well.

Last edited:

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
OK. Lots of newer users here so let me touch on a few things that should well translate from the NC.

1. uSD classes: seems to matter little when using apps. Seldom are the speeds accurate anyway. Use reputable brands. Sandisc one of the best.
2. Never format uSD in your device. Always on your computer. Don't use Windows format. Often creates problems. Use this. Free and never failed me.
3. Root is optional for the NT right now. Certain apps require root access BUT untill a workable recovery scheme is devised I would recommend sideloading. Always unmount before removing. Yes, OTA will work and GApps will update.
4. I've not seen yet a reliable method of re-partitioning the eMMC for the NT (might have missed it if so) therefore sideloading would appear a workable plan for now.
5. If the hurdles can be overcome (and it is early yet, people) to achieve root + recovery many options will open but the NT appears pretty darn good as it is. Patience is a plus.
6. Search function and Google search is your friend. Xda is phenomenal but there are many other forums and many senior members post/read to several.
7. Research what you want to do before doing it. God knows I learned that the hard way myself! :)
8. An app called App2SD can help you moved apps that will function from the uSD and clear space on the eMMC.
10. One last thing...it's always good form to click "thanks" when assistance is lent.

The senior people on here once were where you are now and are happy to lend a hand. Read the Xda rules and all should be well.

Theres some very very good things in there. I agree with mostly everything you said.

For someone new I really would only recommend sideloading one thing, and that is the amazon marketplace. Before root and the real market I stumbled across alot of suspicious apk's looking for things, people need to be very careful downloading vaguely worded things on file shares and torrent sites.

The google market is well worth it and really it is fairly easy to root and install. The key to anything here is to follow the instructions exactly, word for word

Also we won't need apps2sd. That was mainly for phones with very small internal storage, even when we can repartion we will be able to choose how much storage for apps we want. As it stands right now I believe we have the largest storage available of any android device by far.

Reactions: cookdav

KDOG2020

Mar 5, 2011
Well I'm as noob as they get so, I just want to know if this will get rooted and run Ice Cream Sandwich. I've been eyeballing that 7" Acer tablet too (A100) but I want to see if this may be a better buy since I have no need of a camera.... I'll be watching this forum closely...

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
Thanks Skeeterpro for that link to SD Formatter. I can now put away the camera I've been using to format my cards.

skeeterpro

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
Theres some very very good things in there. I agree with mostly everything you said.

For someone new I really would only recommend sideloading one thing, and that is the amazon marketplace. Before root and the real market I stumbled across alot of suspicious apk's looking for things, people need to be very careful downloading vaguely worded things on file shares and torrent sites.

The google market is well worth it and really it is fairly easy to root and install. The key to anything here is to follow the instructions exactly, word for word

Also we won't need apps2sd. That was mainly for phones with very small internal storage, even when we can repartion we will be able to choose how much storage for apps we want. As it stands right now I believe we have the largest storage available of any android device by far.

Good point, chum. Agree with you on Amazon App store. Also, something to remember to everyone that if you DO install an app from Amazon then later delete the Store App....the programs you installed from them will cease to work until you re-install the Amazon App Store app. Really! I thought that was Urban Legend but others have verified.

AppBrain is another along with Android Market I have used.

"Largest storage of any android device by far"....think I might have to ask you how you mean that. There are many android devices with larger internal (eMMC) storage. Unless I mis-read your statement there, partner. :)

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Thanks Skeeterpro for that link to SD Formatter. I can now put away the camera I've been using to format my cards.

Glad to help! That's what we're all here for. :)

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Well I'm as noob as they get so, I just want to know if this will get rooted and run Ice Cream Sandwich. I've been eyeballing that 7" Acer tablet too (A100) but I want to see if this may be a better buy since I have no need of a camera.... I'll be watching this forum closely...

Gotta say I have strong doubts we will see an "official release" of ICS to the NT. As I have said (repeatedly) in the KF forums, BN/Amazon have no reason to upgrade the OS for the devices as it doesn't enhance their revenue stream. The fact remains the NT (and KF) is an e-reader that runs android. Just because it's "called" a tablet doesn't necessarily mean it is the same AS a tablet. These devices exists to sell content. That the NC was so modifiable was gravy. BN learned their lesson, it appears, with the NT (sadly). "Nook Old-Timers" will recall it took BN a long time to upgrade the original NC from 2.1 (Eclair) to 2.2 (Froyo) and that was primarily just for Flash support (to sell more BN content).

If (and that's a BIG "if") the current challenges can be overcome, one of the talented Dev might be able to port something but that could be months away.

Side note: had the Acer A100 for a couple weeks before returning it. Horrible battery life (<5 hours), smaller internal eMMC, and lousy viewing angles broke the deal for me for that price point. Have also read that Acer is most likely abandoning the tablet arena so the "promised ICS release in January" may or may not happen. Just my opinion/observations.

Reactions: cellhead

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
"Largest storage of any android device by far"....think I might have to ask you how you mean that. There are many android devices with larger internal (eMMC) storage.

I was wrong. I'm used to phones where there is two partitions, one for data and another for user storage. A quick google search showed me that Honeycomb tablets aren't partitioned apps install right next to user files.

antonyfl

Mar 31, 2010
Is it possible to mount the sd card right after it boots without having to manually pull it out and sticking it back in?
Some apps that have data on the sdcard fail at reboot because the nt. Does not automatically remount the card. Ex) thumb keyboard

thatdude90210

Jul 2, 2011
Here's a tip for people new to Android. There are some apps that says "aren't compatible" with the NT (like Voice search) in the Market, and won't let you install. And there are ones you can't even find in the Market for the NT, like TuneIn radio or Fancy widget.

If you have an Android phone or another Android device, you can install those from the market on the phone. And use ES file explorer or Titanium backup to grab the apk file on the phone and sideload to the NT.

To do it with with ES file explorer. Just hit the menu key, select "App manager" and long press on the app and select backup. The apk file will be in sdcard/backups/apps folder. And get that file over by either dropbox, wifi, or usb for sideloading on the NT.

This is better than downloading from unknown sources.

skeeterpro

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
I was wrong. I'm used to phones where there is two partitions, one for data and another for user storage. A quick google search showed me that Honeycomb tablets aren't partitioned apps install right next to user files.

Sure. Pop one in and go to Settings>Storage and mount the disk. It's just not a good idea to pull a disk while the device is running. Some apps use files from the uSD while the device is running. Pulling it without unmounting can be a problem.

Think coitus interruptus? (Google that and you'll know what I mean!) :)

Last edited:

PHenn

Jul 26, 2008
nook noob

I got the Nook tablet and rooted it, and I have a few questions...
Why do programs like antutu, dropbox, and the amazon appstore say there is no sdcard? Does the internal memory not work with these, and if so will a micro sd card work with them?

Copy/paste? I cant figure out if it doesn't work or how to do it. Long pressing on text or in a text box doesn't do anything.

Can you change the notification bar to the top like on a standard android device? Using go launcher ex and the notification bar covers the buttons (preferences, settings, etc). Also, can it be the normal slide instead of the pop up style?

Edit: So I tested my micro sd from my atrix and dropbox and antutu benchmark work, and I would assume the amazon appstore would work too. I guess I never really used the phone without that so maybe those apps would fail on that too.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I thought i would add this (perhaps) little known tidbit...
    Swiping the notification bar from right to left will serve as a back button when one does not appear to be available.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
    Here's a tip for people new to Android. There are some apps that says "aren't compatible" with the NT (like Voice search) in the Market, and won't let you install. And there are ones you can't even find in the Market for the NT, like TuneIn radio or Fancy widget.

If you have an Android phone or another Android device, you can install those from the market on the phone. And use ES file explorer or Titanium backup to grab the apk file on the phone and sideload to the NT.

To do it with with ES file explorer. Just hit the menu key, select "App manager" and long press on the app and select backup. The apk file will be in sdcard/backups/apps folder. And get that file over by either dropbox, wifi, or usb for sideloading on the NT.

This is better than downloading from unknown sources.
    I've noticed there's alot of new people here. I figured I'd give you guys a place to ask questions that might be common knowledge to the more experienced people here.

So ask away.....