[Guide] *NOOB's* guide to flashing FROYO <> With the GB release

Search This thread

iliamais

Apr 14, 2012
Thanks a lot.....

HAHAHAHA man good job on sending me that personal message i was in the process of typing everything!!! wonderful guide! keep up the good work!!

Hello. I am a kind of a new user to Galaxy s 4g. Very good steps. I downloaded one of the rom's from here called Vallhala from team kang. After I copied it to my SD card I think its my sd card. I go to files from apps then DCIM then I saw it there. I turned my phone off. I pressed all three buttons that u were talking about, it went to the black screen with the droid robot and I navigated it to where I saw the DCIM and Vallhala there I pressed power button and it said download aborted not enough s place on the system or something like that. I am very sorry if sound confusing. All I am trying to do is just get the custom rom and make my phone faster and customize it. When u say copy to the root of your sd card is the same thing as DCIM cause that's only similar file to my sd card I can find. I am very sorry again for bothering you and taking your time. My phone is rooted. If you can help thanks a lot.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Read the first link in my signature. It will explain the process to you.

Not knowing what all you did in the guide - just understand IF you are on Froyo that Valhalla is a 2.3.6 Gingerbread based ROM. If you are on Froyo and want to upgrade to Gingerbread you will need Gingerbread bootloaders.

If you are indeed still on Froyo and rooted - follow the second link in my signature and flash with bootloaders. Then you can use the directions where applicable in the first link to flash the custom ROM in CWM.

If you are on Gingerbread - what you are trying to flash the ROM in is called CWM Recovery. If the text color is blue when you boot into recovery to flash the ROM - that is not CWM Recovery. It is stock android recovery. The text color needs to be orangish red to indicate you have CWM. To have CWM you need a custom kernal. In that case (being rooted and on Gingerbread) use the first link's guide and start where it talks about flashing a custom kernel using SGS Kernel Flasher.

You will know you do not have Gingerbread bootloaders if you flash a Gingerbread based ROM - when you boot your phone and see a rainbow like screen. This means you need Gingerbread bootloaders.

Good luck!

Last edited:

iliamais

Apr 14, 2012
Thanks again

Thanks a lot for explaining to me. I think I have Gingerbread.VUVKJ6. Cause when i go to settings and then about a phone it says that Kernel version 2.6.35.7-T959VUKJ6-CL694130. so I am probably on a stock kernel and I am gonna try to follow your link to get a custom kernel. Thanks again for being very helpful.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

hello everyone. When u guys say download it to the root of you sd card, what do you mean by that??? When i plug my phone thru usb the only sd file like type of folder i find is DCIM its called do I just copy that kernel zip there???? When I go to my Apps and then click files there is no sd card there is DCIM and thats what I think my sd card files are.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
I explain root of sd card in the guide. Read all of it. The root of sd card is the shell/main folder. When you plug your sd card into the computer and open it to look - that is the root of the sd card. Where you see all the other folders on the card.

The place where you see the DCIM folder is the root. DCIM is generally where your pictures from your camera are saved. You can flash the kernel in SGS Kernel Flasher from any folder on the sd card. Just browse to it and select it. And double check gou have a SGH-T959V before doing anything else. Look under the battery.

And hit thanks when people help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: iliamais

iliamais

Apr 14, 2012
Rom

Hello again I am very sorry for bothering again. What if I got the rom but I think I made a misstake and I dont want it anymore. Is there any ways to get back to the normal mode, thank you again for being so patient with me.

iliamais

Apr 14, 2012
Lost Apps

How do restore all my apps, after downloading a rom a backed them up in the titanium back up I have no idea, where anything is at. If someone please help me i would really really aprecciate that. I will a take a stock I am very sorry again Lumin for bothering you

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
How do restore all my apps, after downloading a rom a backed them up in the titanium back up I have no idea, where anything is at. If someone please help me i would really really aprecciate that.

I would be cautious what you restore vs reinstalling from the market. I always recommend installing fresh from the market to avoid problems.

But either way you need to reinstall TB to restore what you choose to restore. Your back ups are on your sd card.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
If you followed the guide I wrote and made a nandroid back up. Otherwise - to go back to complete stock I suggest the second link in my signature and select the stock KJ6 One-Click.

I don't know what ROM you chose - but it seems to me you aren't really giving it much of a chance. If you think stock is better than any of our custom ROM's you did something wrong.

iliamais

Apr 14, 2012
yes

I did follow non droid backup, Vallaha black edition I have I think it downloaded succefully its just that a lot of things are different. I am gonna give a try.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
You have ADW Launcher with VB. You are used to TW Launcher this comes stock and I think sucks. But I get it being familiar, therefore easier. The Launcher is really a very small part of the ROM and if it is TW Launcher you want you can always change back to it and stay on VB. I personally love GoLauncher EX. Maybe download that from the market and see what you think.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
And on a side note - most anything from stock that you liked/used and is not on VB, you can add back.

iliamais

Apr 14, 2012
Cant find.

I can not find your steps how to get a stock rom can you please copy and paste it please on your responses again I am defenitely gonna consider getting a custom rom but I have got to get more familiar with everything I rushed into it. I did non droid backup just like u mentioned. Thanks again

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
The only thing you should be unfamiliar with is the Launcher. You are used to using TouchWiz. I recommend you putting that back on your phone before going through the trouble of flashing back to stock.

The Launcher is the graphical user interface you boot into and use on your phone. It is your home screen, app drawer, etc. The benefits of VB are on the backend that you don't see but rather experience with your phone running smoother and faster, battery lasting longer, apps running better, etc.

This is why I am trying to convince you to put TouchWiz on back on your phone as you are familiar with it. There are a ton of Launchers to use. TouchWiz was made by Samsung and comes with the phone.

I will help you get it back on your phone if you have faith I know what I am talking about. If not, as I said before - follow the guide in the second link in my signature to cleanly flash back to stock.

Last edited:

iliamais

Apr 14, 2012
Main Issues

Hello again Lumin. Again I am very great full for all the help you provided. The main problems I have with this rom is I can not set a customize ringtone from my sounds I can not get personnel ring tones for certain people. I don't have swipe texting anymore and I tried to restore some of my apps from Titanium like swipe and alarm clock and it doesn't work it says restoring but it takes forever. How do I get some of the backed up apps from my sd card and some of my contacts got lost I tried to import them from sim card but I couldn't see them there. I have no problem with the rom everything works I even downloaded ADW honey comb thing and its ok I guess. Thank you very much for your help again. If you can answer some of the questions that I asked it will be great. I am not going to go through all the trouble and get back to stock.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
You need to add the sounds and apk back for alarm clock. I'll get you a link. I'll get you a link for swype. And going forward you NEED to always sync your contacts with gmail. Don't mess with saving them to your phone. And you can set custom ringtones. You might consider trying GoContacts. I use it, live it and it beats the hell out of stock. Also has it's ow themes that rock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am putting this up for new users of the Samsung Galaxy S 4g that are having issues with flashing, well, pretty much any rom right now.

1) The main issue right now is our recovery and rom manager not working together....NOT THE ROM's!

2) Here is a walk through for problem free flashing (I have officially flashed every rom posted here right now and have no issues whatsoever)

So here we go:

1) I'll start this assuming you have already rooted.

2) Download the update.zip and recovery from HERE

3) Place files on the root of your sdcard (not in any file) DO NOT UNZIP THE UPDATE.ZIP!!!

4) You must have a file system explorer with root permissions (IE...Root Explorer or equivalent)

5) Once in Root Explorer, your system MUST BE MOUNTED AS R/W, navigate to your sdcard, find the recovery file you downloaded and long press....select "copy"

6) Hit the back button until you return to the file marked "/" and make sure it is still mounted r/w, then navigate to system, then bin. Once you are in bin (this is important) hit "paste" on the bottom of your screen. It will ask if you want to overwrite the existing recovery. Select yes. DO NOT REPLACE IT, ONLY OVERWRITE IT!!!

7) Keep hitting the back button on your phone until you exit out of root explorer.

8) Power off your phone, then, after fully shut down, holding volume up AND down plus power (yes, hold all 3 of them) you will enter a blue stock recovery screen. Scroll down 1 option to "reinstall packages", press power........you should now be in the orange Clockwork Mod recovery.

9) Scroll down to "backup and restore" and hit power, then go to "Backup" and hit power. Let it do it's thing. This will create a backup on your sdcard in a file called "clockwork". Keep this so you can restore in case something goes wrong (or like me, like to change things up all the time).

10) Now, again, I will assume that you have the rom of your choice on the root of your sdcard. This is where things get screwy....so pay attention to the OP's instructions for mounts. Scroll to "mounts and storage" and hit power.

11) The first 4 things you will see are : /cache, /data, /sdcard, and /system. This is where you need to pay close attention to what you are doing.

A) For KD1 and Bionix Frost your mounts must appear like this:
    /cache : unmount
    /data : mount
    /sdcard : mount
    /system : unmount

B) For Trigger your mounts must appear like this:
    /cache : unmount
    /data : unmount
    /sdcard : mount
    /system : unmount

If they are not in this order,change them so they are, or it will flash but will not boot. YOU WILL BE IN A SOFT BRICK STATE THAT REQUIRES ODIN TO FIX!!!!

12) Install RomManager if you wish, but DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT FLASH CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY FROM THE LIST, this will cause your phone to get stuck at wiping a file called /.android_ secure in recovery.....so once again, HELLO ODIN! Also DO NOT REBOOT RECOVERY from rom manager, this will also cause /.android_secure to not wipe.....so once again, HELLO ODIN!

Last but not least, follow instructions on the OP to the "T" and you will be fine, unless you enjoy odin that much.....personally, I hate it.

If anything here is wrong or not working for you, please let me know so I can fix/update this. Please double/triple check everything that you did and make sure it is correct before *****ing "It's still not working".......because it does work. I have flashed and flashed and flashed with only 1 soft brick, and that was my fault.....not these instructions fault.

To see if I can make this make a little more sense now, here we go: The reason for changing mounts is that, by default, /system is not mounted. To be able to flash and boot successfully, it has to be. When you are looking at them, it will say "mount", this means that it is NOT mounted. If it says "unmount", then it means it IS mounted, confused yet? Just remember it like this: It is the opposite of what it says...so make sure that system says "unmount", which actually means it's mounted. This step is absolutely CRUCIAL.

Enjoy the hell out of your bad ass Samsung Galaxy S 4g, because I am :)
    This should definitely make the sgs4g bible. Its a great tutorial on getting through the flashing issues people are having. Thank you this is ( . ) ( . )

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App
    Look at second post in this thread -

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22166667

Here are directions to add back audible touch tone, etc and also where you add the smart alarm sounds for alarm clock.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22316435&postcount=101

Here is the stock alarm clock and sounds -
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22397549&postcount=7

To push the Alarm Clock apk use the same directions as swype or look at first post in third link of my signature.

Download swype here -
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20865461&postcount=3

Directions to install swype here -
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23417868&postcount=42

I think I left the need to enable installing third party apps in those directions. Go to Settings, then Applications and check Unknown Sources.

All this may look like a lot but you will learn a lot by doing it.
    Don't forget his thanks button for this everyone ;)

+1 brutha! Thank you :)
    No need to worry. Go ahead and flash away, just make sure to follow this and anything else the dev's tell you to :)

Don't forget his thanks button for this everyone ;)