[GUIDE] How to Port I9100 ICS or JB ROMS

Search This thread

mlaws90

Note: Does not work on 4.2.1 JB ROMs. I have tried flashaholics and this to the same result. I am trying to port over RootBOX 3.3.1 which is based off 4.2.1. I currently do not have a working method to port 4.2.+ ROMs. Or even if it is possible at this point.

I get a System UI and Phone Crash, super slow boot animation, but it does boot. The constant System UI and Phone crashes make it unusable. I'm pretty sure I just need a 4.2.+ kernel for the i777 in order to continue, like the CM 10.1 kernel once Entropy releases. I have tried Siyah(both) and the CM 10 12-17 kernel.

Does anyone know why this is happening, or the differences between 4.1.+ and 4.2.+ ROM's structure? Any help is greatly appreciated, and of coarse once the port is ready I will share :p and host it on my Goo.im account.

A

asasione

mlaws90 you should wait until Entropy releases 4.2.1 CM10.1 and simply use that as a base for porting ROMS since the kernel is probably the reason its not working. Don't have an S2 anymore so can't test out, jumped ship to N4

loughary

Nov 29, 2011
Saint Louis
Can anyone confirm that this method will work for porting the XXLSJ leak in the i9100 forums?

No, but this method will

Download one of the XXLSJ rom's of choice from i9100 forms

Download the kernel that jeboo posted in SHOstock 3 thread it includes the needed key setting.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34436037&postcount=3

Download a modem from below
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19666373&postcount=1

Download the kernel cleaning script
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21037940&postcount=1

The install steps that I use that work fine

Download all above to phone
Reboot into CWM
Flash i9100 Rom
Flash kernel cleaning scipt ( not sure if it is really needed but doesn't hurt to be safe)
Flash jeboo kernel
Flash Modem
Reboot and enjoy

I've used the above method on NeatRomLite, WanamLite & Simplistic.

mlaws90

Any one who want to port a 4.2.+ ROM can use this guide. But I recommend using the latest CM 10.1 nighties boot.img and modules, or Siyah for the kernel.

Need an update to RootBox or AOSPA? Port it and share.. That is what xda is all about, learning and sharing.

I will try to continue update but with my Nexus 7 ROMs, it is hard to find time.

mapobean

I have been running into a System.UI has stopped responding error with Chameleon ROM no matter what. I don't get the error pop up until I move locations does any one have any ideas? I have tried changing the APN.config, and resetting APN to default but I still get the pop up. I have been able to limit the pop up a little by selecting ATT in settings/mobile networks settings/network operators. Any thoughts???

Last edited:

mapobean

Thanks a lot for the great guide & taking time to prepare one. Learnt to have a custom kernel in my ported roms. :laugh:

new step on my rom porting :victory:

Thank you but unfortunetly Chameleon Rom does not port nicely. It will work but seems to generate a Sytem UI has stopped responding. This seems to happen when i move my location but i have also disabled data and this still happens. I can not figure it out.

qnc

Apr 27, 2007
Hi I'm a total newb, to android and especially porting.

I have had my Nexus 4 for about a month. Liked android so much thought i would get GS2 to tinker with since it is still supported very well.

Well, I followed the directions in the OP and replaced all the files, replaced boot with zImage, edited the updater-script file etc.

I wiped data, cache, dalvik, and flashed the ported ROM( ThinkingBridge ROM [I9100][May 09,2013][Stable 2]) in CWM.

I figured I would try that ROM since I did not see anyone porting it and their goal is stability.
I figured perfect for a newb. stable ROM, good directions, no problem.

Well, after reboot I get nothing. I got the Samsung GS2 words then a blank screen.

I get back into CWM to restore and it has the Siyah logo in CMW so part of what i did must have worked.
And since i did not totally brick my phone and could restore from backup then I figure i'm on the right track.

Can any one give me any pointers?
Should I start with a different ROM? I was thinking if this worked to try the PA 3.50 ROM.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Background info if needed
the phone i was trying to flash was of course the i777.
ROM it was running before flash of port AOKP Task 650
Rom trying to port ThinkingBridge ROM [I9100][May 09,2013][Stable 2] http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2163816
rooted by previous owner so i don't know what he used to root. It was running the AOKP Task650 ROM when received.
I have flashed these ROMS successfully AOKP Task650, CM10.1, PA 3.00, PAC 22.2.0, SlimRom 4.2.2 build 5 and SuperNexus 2.0.
i flash daily sometimes 5 or 6 times a day to learn about android.

Last edited:

RareAir23

Mar 27, 2011
Sounds like you did the right steps. I'd check the md5 and maybe try to download from a PC and move it to your internal SD.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: qnc

qnc

Apr 27, 2007
Sounds like you did the right steps. I'd check the md5 and maybe try to download from a PC and move it to your internal SD.

Thanks I'll check the md5. I did flash from the internal SD.

Do you think doing it on Ubuntu made a difference instead of using windows?
I will try the process on windows as well.

RareAir23

Mar 27, 2011
Not much experience on Ubuntu, maybe some more knowledgeable will chime in.

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
Thanks I'll check the md5. I did flash from the internal SD.

Do you think doing it on Ubuntu made a difference instead of using windows?
I will try the process on windows as well.

All this sounds like is you're either using the wrong kernel for the rom you're trying to install, or an outdated version of it. If it boots to black that's likely the cause.

Sent from the i777

Reactions: qnc

qnc

Apr 27, 2007
All this sounds like is you're either using the wrong kernel for the rom you're trying to install, or an outdated version of it. If it boots to black that's likely the cause.

Sent from the i777

OK.
I will try the process again, but instead if replacing the boot.img fine with zImage, I will flash the Siyah kernel in CWM instead and see what happens.

I was using the Siyah 4.3.3 file that was linked to in the OP.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveMurphy

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
OK.
I will try the process again, but instead if replacing the boot.img fine with zImage, I will flash the Siyah kernel in CWM instead and see what happens.

I was using the Siyah 4.3.3 file that was linked to in the OP.
Thanks

Ah, that's why you were having problems; 4.3.3 is grossly outdated and doesn't have the newer Mali drivers. Head to the Development thread and grab one of the newer kernels, you won't have any issues then.

Sent from the i777

Reactions: sk8ordie0 and qnc

geo0889

Jan 25, 2011
Is it the same process for Samsung based roms?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

javedsipra

Sep 27, 2013
Just thought I'd write up a flashing guide for people who love to use I9100 ROMS like myself. First the things you'll need before you start the porting process:
Notepad++
Winrar/7zip

For ICS ROMS:
Download an I9100 ROM of your choice
Download a kernel (Siyah (ICS)/Skyfire(ICS)/Fluxi(ICS))
Open the zip files (don't extract) and copy the zimage to your desktop
Change the sec_touchkey.kl found in system/usr/keylayout of your ROM zip
Change the modem.bin with either UCLE5 or UCKH7
Go to system and edit the build.prop, edit these particular lines exactly as shown using Notepad++(optional):

Go to META-INF/com/google/android and open updater-script with Notepad++ and check if these line are there:

Delete them, if not skip this step

Delete the zImage from the ROM zip and replace it with one from Siyah/Skyfire or Fluxi

You can replace the hosts found in system/etc for ad blocking

The red highlighted items can be found at bottom of post (Not for flashing)

Flash the ROM

For JB ROMS:
Download an I9100 ROM of your choice
Download a kernel Siyah (JB) or use extract boot.img from CM10/AOKP ROMS
Open the zip files (don't extract) and copy the zimage (for CM10/AOKP found in the respective ROM root directory) to your desktop
Change the sec_touchkey.kl found in system/usr/keylayout of your ROM zip

Go to system and edit the build.prop, edit these particular lines exactly as shown using Notepad++(optional):

Go to META-INF/com/google/android and open updater-script with Notepad++ and check if these line are there:

Delete these lines

Go to system/lib and replace the modules folders with the one provided

You can replace the hosts found in system/etc for ad blocking

The red highlighted items can be found at bottom of post (Not for flashing)

Additional:
To boot a zImage for JB ROMS if you replace the boot.img
You must edit this lines in the updater-script

To look like this:

In general just look for an assert near the bottom of the script and edit it to reflect the zImage and it will boot properly. Alternatively skip this step and just flash the kernel after flashing the ROM

Enjoy the ROMS in the I9100 Original and Android Development section and happy flashing

Sir,
i have one question , where we can put the Zimage OR repack boot.img ? Zimage got from stock rom ? please reply .
thanks in advance.
javed.sipra@gmail.com

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Exactly, in Siyah zip just drag and drop the zImage, to your desktop for example, and in your ROM delete the boot.img, and insert the zImage in the root directory of ROM zip

then edit the updater-script as shown above so it boots from zImage and not boot.img, you can also just highlight boot.img and CTRL+F and replace all instances of boot.img with zImage. Yes it really is that simple

Also I found this awesome theme, thought I'd share:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1931948

Sir, i want to know can we port JB rom with stock ics / ics2 4.2.2 ? is it possible ?
Can we change stock kernel or one phone is accept just one kernel ? or we can change it ?
Please check my kernel , what kind of kernel ( Linux version 3.0.13 (root@glzhong-desktop) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC)#4 PREEMPT wed may 29
11:23:56 CST 2013

i want to learn this magical android field, please help me and extend my knowledge plz.
javed.sipra@gmail.com

micallan_17

Sep 27, 2012
Santa Elena
so I used this guide to convert the official GT-I9100 CM11 nightly builds for the i777 and so far its good, I seem to even get better battery too but I need further testing to see if there are any issues.

Reactions: david72262

Top Liked Posts