[11/26/11][BL1.1+1.2 ROM] CyanogenMod7.2.0-RC0 BUILD98 REPACK | GTablet | 2.3.7 GWK74

Search This thread

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
Now, I am no great Android developer... I'm just someone who is technically inclined to piece together several different mods and tweaks from different sources... and I do it because I love getting the best out of my GTablet...

I pretty sure everyone reading this agrees that CyanogenMod is the best after-market AOSP-based community initiative ROM available... it's got dozens of new features, fixes, modifications and enhancements over pure AOSP Android... And thanks to the efforts of the entire CyanogenMod team, especially bekit, pershoot & mad-murdock, we have CyanogenMod for our GTablets...

I keep experimenting with the latest CyanogenMod build and the tonnes of other contributions by various people in the community (XDA, TabletRoms, SlateDroid, etc.)... trying to mix and match and find a combination which will give me the best of both worlds...

I started this off as a personal initiative... and decided to share it with the community... but this effort of merging various community contributions into CyanogenMod ROMs takes time and quite often needs thorough testing, it is not practical for me to release updates very frequently. But every so often, when I see commits in CyanogenMod or contributions in the community which would be nice to repack and share with the community, I will hope on board and create a new release.

Please read through the post thoroughy, especially the instructions, troubleshooting and known issues section and familarise yourself with NVFlash recovery.

Credit for most of the amazing features of this ROM goes to the CyanogenMod team (especially pershoot, bekit, mad-murdock) and contributors... and the various other members of the community who share their brilliant mods and tweaks...

Big thanks to dev-host.org team for hosting the files with no bandwidth restrictions...

LATEST RELEASE | CYANOGENMOD7.2.0-RC0-BUILD98-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.7

REPACK DOWNLOAD [Bootloader 1.1]
MD5Sum = 9a038efaa6acd207868696c657a34cb4

REPACK DOWNLOAD [Bootloader 1.2]
MD5Sum = cd2041dd0fd2d8e2dbda9adb2fbe3025

FIX FOR MOBILE SIGNAL ICON IN STATUS BAR [Both bootloaders]
MD5Sum = 1fc03c6f05a8b9da43d4966c6ad42549

OFFICIAL CHANGELOG

NIGHTLIES CHANGELOG

REPACK CHANGELOG:
Code:
1. All features of the official CM7.2.0-RC0 Build 98 [credits to CM team]
2. Android Gingerbread 2.3.7 along with all 2.3.7 GWK74 Google Apps [credits to Google]
3. Latest Android Market 3.3.12 [credits to Google]
4. Superuser 3.0.7 [credits to ChainsDD]
5. QuickOffice Tablet from Notion Ink Adam
6. Google Music 4.0.9 with Google Music cloud sync [credits to Google]
7. Demotivators Protips (hilarious de-motivational sayings) [credits to david1171]
8. Updated the build fingerprint to 2.3.6 GRK39F [based on the latest Nexus One OTA]
9. Changed display density to 120 (was 160) which means more real estate
10. Uses latest libs, jars & other proprietary from the latest 1.2-5274 TnT ROM (BL1.2 release only) [credits to TnT team]
11. Separate releases for bootloaders 1.1 & 1.2
12. Switchable internal & external storage mount points [credits to CM team]
13. Kernel 2.6.32.48 – OC-UV-VFP_FP (up to 1.400GHz) [credits to pershoot]
14. Several stagefright (Android Media Framework) fixes and tweaks to improve audio and video decoding [credits to CM team]
15. Latest stock camera with all CM tweaks and fixes and no pixelated still photographs [credits to CM team]
16. New GoogleTalk with voice & video (only one way video, GTablet video broken) [credits to britoso, B3ATTY]
17. Fixed assert checks in update script for Clockwork recovery for BL 1.1 & 1.2
18. Removed ROMManager since it does not play nice with the GTablet
19. Hand-picked tweaks for performance, battery life & internet from a collection by knzo [credits to knzo]
20. Tweaked minfree (low memory killer) for performance improvement 
21. Increased internal & external (if present) storage read cache to 2048 to improve storage access speed
22. Hardware decoding for MP4 h264 Baseline videos upto 720p [credits to CM team]
23. Pandora and other internet radio application playback no more slow [credits to CM team]
24. Browser default bookmarks modified to include GTablet specific bookmarks
25. Full working Android Market with tablet recognisation (no Market fixes needed)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download the ROM from the appropriate bootloader.
2. Verify the MD5Sum of the downloaded ROM.
3. Clear cache & dalvik cache using Clockwork recovery if you were not using a CM7 2.3.7 ROM prior to flashing this
4. Flash using Clockwork recovery.

RECOMMENDED:

1. If you are using the 1.2 bootloader version, use the latest 1.2 bootloader from the 1.2-5274 ROM.
2. Wipe data/factory reset is recommended if you were not using a CM7 2.3.7 ROM prior to flashing this.
3. Since most newer ROMs are based on the 1.2 bootloader, it is recommended that you upgrade to the 1.2-5274 ROM so that you have more freedom to switch to other newer ROMs.

ADD-ONS:

1. Extra kernel modules for pershoot's kernel 2.6.32.48 (lib-2632.48_gb.tar.gz) [For advanced users only]
2. Possible SOD (sleep of death) fixes

TIPS & TWEAKS:

1. You can enable and disable the lockscreen from Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Tablet tweaks -> Disable lockscreen.
2. You can switch the mount points of the internal & external memory. You can mount the internal memory as /mnt/sdcard or as /mnt/emmc. Go to Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Application -> Use internal storage. This is not part of the CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1 build.
3. Since hardware decoding of videos is not working, use MX Video Player or Mobo Player which have software rendering for videos. I recommend one of these players since they have ARMv7 (Tegra) optimised software codecs (FFMPEG).
4. If you want to change the LCD density, download & install PropEditor. Click the "Backup" button to create a backup in case you need to revert back. Then click the "Open" button and in the file manager which opens, tap ".." till you reach the system root. Then tap "system" and the tap "build.prop" to open the editor. Look for "ro.sf.lcd.density" and tap it to change the value. Press the "Menu" key and tap "Save". Reboot.
5. Increasing the DalvikVM memory size will improve performance of the bigger high-graphics Tegra games. Go to Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> VM heap size and set it as 64m.
6. To overclock or underclock your device, go to Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> CPU settings and set the Min CPU frequency and Max CPU frequency to a value of your choice. Click Set on boot to make the frequency setting persistent after reboot.
7. If the Clock app opens every time you press the Home button, it's because Android thinks you GTablet is docked (I don't know why yet!). Install Dock No-Op to fix it.
8. If you wish to use Market Enabler, use the one by For2w. It has many more providers to fake and works properly with the Android Marker 3.x.

KNOWN ISSUES:

1. Due to lack of official drivers and/or OpenGL issues, the video camera does not work and stagefright (media framework) FCs.
2. Due to lack of official drivers & codecs, hardware decoding for videos does not work for most video formats other than MP4. Use a video player with software rendering.
3. If audio from the loudspeaker suddenly stops, plug in a headset and then unplug it.
4. Since the video camera does not work, any video apps which use the stock video camera will not work. Users have reported Fring & Oovoo video chat works.
5. GoogleTalk and Skype now support ARMv7 without neon. This version of GoogleTalk is included in this ROM. But due to lack of official drivers and/or OpenGL issues, both GoogleTalk and Skype cannot broadcast video from the GTablet. The reciepent's video is visible on the GTablet.
6. If you have a problem downloading applications from the Android Market and all/most apps show as "not available for device", try wiping Market data and cache and rebooting. If that does not work, edit build.prop and change the resolution 160 DPI and wipe Market data and cache and reboot.
7. Some user may face SODs (Sleep of Death) wherein the device does not wake after sleep until a hard-reboot. Some possible workarounds are
a. Enabling the lockscreen (see Tips & Tweaks)
b. Setting the device to wake using volume keys (CyanogenMod setting -> Input -> Volume rocker wake)
c. Setting the Min CPU frequency to 312 MHz or 456 MHz (see Tips & Tweaks)
d. Visit this thread for more solutions
8. Google Maps 6.x force closes due to openGL issues with Gingerbread on the GTablet. Use Google Maps 5.x.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

1. Try a data/factory reset
2. Use ClockworkMod recovery and try a data/factory reset and format the boot and system partitions
3. Use ClockworkMod recovery and partition the internal SD card as 2048MB ext, 0MB swap, remaining FAT32
4. nvFlash to the stock image

DISCLAIMER:

While this has been branded a "stable" release, do note that it is not 100% perfect. I will do my best to help you out if you have any problems, but I take no responsibility if you land up with a brick. Much of the actual hard-work behind the functionality of this ROM belongs to the various developers and teams credited in the changelogs above. Throw a nice thanks to them for their hard work.

ARCHIVED RELEASE:
1. CYANOGENMOD7.1.0.1-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.7
2. CYANOGENMOD7.1-RC-Build52-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.7
3. CYANOGENMOD7.1-RC-Build21-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.5
4. CYANOGENMOD-7.1.0-RC1 | ANDROID 2.3.4

More details and download links for archived releases

Last edited:

MicroChip

Feb 14, 2006
The usual asserts error, expecting HARMONY as system type. Also, are those the right GAPPS, or should it be gapps-gb-20110613?

MC

Last edited:

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
The usual asserts error, expecting HARMONY as system type. Also, are those the right GAPPS, or should it be gapps-gb-20110613?

MC

This is the 2.3.4 Google Apps with the new Google Talk with Voice & Video... the one you noted is the 2.3.3 Google Apps... this was created using the official GRJ22 firmware...

Last edited:
Reactions: toe451

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
And for those having problems with the asserts, try removing the assert line (the line mentioned below) from the update-script in the ROM zip...

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "harmony" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "harmony" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "harmony" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "smb_a1002" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "smb_a1002" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "smb_a1002");

I've managed to set up CM7.1 RC1 on both the BL1.1 & BL1.2 after removing the above line.

Reactions: toe451

MicroChip

Feb 14, 2006
And for those having problems with the asserts, try removing the assert line (the line mentioned below) from the update-script in the ROM zip...

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "harmony" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "harmony" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "harmony" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "smb_a1002" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "smb_a1002" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "smb_a1002");

I've managed to set up CM7.1 RC1 on both the BL1.1 & BL1.2 after removing the above line.

I didn't try it but have in the past and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work because changing that line makes the rom fail md5 test if I recall?

Check with zyhong, he's packaged 1.1 CM for 1.2 bl successfully. Wish somebody would write up how to do it, I'd do it myself.

Thanks!
MC

Papa Midnight

Mar 23, 2011
The usual asserts error, expecting HARMONY as
system type.

+1 for me.

Code:

This results in an immediate "Installation Aborted" error for me - sans the "assert failed" notice.

aasoror

Jun 24, 2008
Kitchener, ON
Xiaomi Mi A2
First, Thanks for your efforts, but just like the several other threads created for the same topic (with its slight variations) this need to be moved to General section.

The development section is kept for those ROMs developed by the XDA contributors.

This is the 2.3.4 Google Apps with the new Google Talk with Voice & Video... the one you noted is the 2.3.3 Google Apps... this was created using the official GRJ22 firmware...

Strange, I thought it was 2.3.4 too.

20110613: This package is designed for Android 2.3.4, and will not work on 2.3.3. It contains all of the applications updated for 2.3.4, but does not include the new Google Talk with video chat due to there being no compatible library available for non-ARM7 and non-neon board devices, from Google or another OEM. This package should work on all 2.3.4 ROMs, and has the latest Android Market update in it, which includes in-app purchase support. This package is listed in the above table, ROM Manager, and latest/7/universal. It should be used with ROMs such as CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (though at the time that I'm updating this, 20110307 is still listed in the ROM Manager manifest for the CyanogenMod Nightlies).

That said, does video chat work on your tablet ?!

Last edited:

zyhong

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2011
I didn't try it but have in the past and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work because changing that line makes the rom fail md5 test if I recall?

Check with zyhong, he's packaged 1.1 CM for 1.2 bl successfully. Wish somebody would write up how to do it, I'd do it myself.

Thanks!
MC

I have put an instruction on the second post of my GB for BL1.2 post, and someone in slatedroid have successfully build the cm7.1 RC1, which is confirmed by some users that works well. I have put a link for that build on my post as well. Hope this help.

Reactions: rob_z11 and Mantara

mozetti

May 9, 2010
I think I know the answer, but I'm no expert - does CM7.1 for the G-tab have hardware acceleration? If no, I see reports of Flash working so do problems with HD video still exist?

I'm considering moving from Vegan (Froyo) to see if it clears up a couple minor annoyances but I need a (mostly) fully functional tablet. That being said, I use the MoboPlayer so I can soft-decode when needed.

Thanks!

louvass

Sep 24, 2010
Yes I did and it just sat at the birds but will try again. I can't seem to get Clockwork to install alone either

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
I will re-create the CM7.1 RC 1 for both bootloader versions in a day or two so that it will work with any bootloader and even the stock recoveries.

Reactions: Mantara

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now, I am no great Android developer... I'm just someone who is technically inclined to piece together several different mods and tweaks from different sources... and I do it because I love getting the best out of my GTablet...

I pretty sure everyone reading this agrees that CyanogenMod is the best after-market AOSP-based community initiative ROM available... it's got dozens of new features, fixes, modifications and enhancements over pure AOSP Android... And thanks to the efforts of the entire CyanogenMod team, especially bekit, pershoot & mad-murdock, we have CyanogenMod for our GTablets...

I keep experimenting with the latest CyanogenMod build and the tonnes of other contributions by various people in the community (XDA, TabletRoms, SlateDroid, etc.)... trying to mix and match and find a combination which will give me the best of both worlds...

I started this off as a personal initiative... and decided to share it with the community... but this effort of merging various community contributions into CyanogenMod ROMs takes time and quite often needs thorough testing, it is not practical for me to release updates very frequently. But every so often, when I see commits in CyanogenMod or contributions in the community which would be nice to repack and share with the community, I will hope on board and create a new release.

Please read through the post thoroughy, especially the instructions, troubleshooting and known issues section and familarise yourself with NVFlash recovery.

Credit for most of the amazing features of this ROM goes to the CyanogenMod team (especially pershoot, bekit, mad-murdock) and contributors... and the various other members of the community who share their brilliant mods and tweaks...

Big thanks to dev-host.org team for hosting the files with no bandwidth restrictions...

LATEST RELEASE | CYANOGENMOD7.2.0-RC0-BUILD98-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.7

REPACK DOWNLOAD [Bootloader 1.1]
    MD5Sum = 9a038efaa6acd207868696c657a34cb4

REPACK DOWNLOAD [Bootloader 1.2]
    MD5Sum = cd2041dd0fd2d8e2dbda9adb2fbe3025

FIX FOR MOBILE SIGNAL ICON IN STATUS BAR [Both bootloaders]
    MD5Sum = 1fc03c6f05a8b9da43d4966c6ad42549

OFFICIAL CHANGELOG

NIGHTLIES CHANGELOG

REPACK CHANGELOG:
    Code:
    1. All features of the official CM7.2.0-RC0 Build 98 [credits to CM team]
    2. Android Gingerbread 2.3.7 along with all 2.3.7 GWK74 Google Apps [credits to Google]
    3. Latest Android Market 3.3.12 [credits to Google]
    4. Superuser 3.0.7 [credits to ChainsDD]
    5. QuickOffice Tablet from Notion Ink Adam
    6. Google Music 4.0.9 with Google Music cloud sync [credits to Google]
    7. Demotivators Protips (hilarious de-motivational sayings) [credits to david1171]
    8. Updated the build fingerprint to 2.3.6 GRK39F [based on the latest Nexus One OTA]
    9. Changed display density to 120 (was 160) which means more real estate
    10. Uses latest libs, jars & other proprietary from the latest 1.2-5274 TnT ROM (BL1.2 release only) [credits to TnT team]
    11. Separate releases for bootloaders 1.1 & 1.2
    12. Switchable internal & external storage mount points [credits to CM team]
    13. Kernel 2.6.32.48 – OC-UV-VFP_FP (up to 1.400GHz) [credits to pershoot]
    14. Several stagefright (Android Media Framework) fixes and tweaks to improve audio and video decoding [credits to CM team]
    15. Latest stock camera with all CM tweaks and fixes and no pixelated still photographs [credits to CM team]
    16. New GoogleTalk with voice & video (only one way video, GTablet video broken) [credits to britoso, B3ATTY]
    17. Fixed assert checks in update script for Clockwork recovery for BL 1.1 & 1.2
    18. Removed ROMManager since it does not play nice with the GTablet
    19. Hand-picked tweaks for performance, battery life & internet from a collection by knzo [credits to knzo]
    20. Tweaked minfree (low memory killer) for performance improvement 
    21. Increased internal & external (if present) storage read cache to 2048 to improve storage access speed
    22. Hardware decoding for MP4 h264 Baseline videos upto 720p [credits to CM team]
    23. Pandora and other internet radio application playback no more slow [credits to CM team]
    24. Browser default bookmarks modified to include GTablet specific bookmarks
    25. Full working Android Market with tablet recognisation (no Market fixes needed)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download the ROM from the appropriate bootloader.
    2. Verify the MD5Sum of the downloaded ROM.
    3. Clear cache & dalvik cache using Clockwork recovery if you were not using a CM7 2.3.7 ROM prior to flashing this
    4. Flash using Clockwork recovery.

RECOMMENDED:

1. If you are using the 1.2 bootloader version, use the latest 1.2 bootloader from the 1.2-5274 ROM.
    2. Wipe data/factory reset is recommended if you were not using a CM7 2.3.7 ROM prior to flashing this.
    3. Since most newer ROMs are based on the 1.2 bootloader, it is recommended that you upgrade to the 1.2-5274 ROM so that you have more freedom to switch to other newer ROMs.

ADD-ONS:

1. Extra kernel modules for pershoot's kernel 2.6.32.48 (lib-2632.48_gb.tar.gz) [For advanced users only]
    2. Possible SOD (sleep of death) fixes

TIPS & TWEAKS:

1. You can enable and disable the lockscreen from Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Tablet tweaks -> Disable lockscreen.
    2. You can switch the mount points of the internal & external memory. You can mount the internal memory as /mnt/sdcard or as /mnt/emmc. Go to Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Application -> Use internal storage. This is not part of the CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1 build.
    3. Since hardware decoding of videos is not working, use MX Video Player or Mobo Player which have software rendering for videos. I recommend one of these players since they have ARMv7 (Tegra) optimised software codecs (FFMPEG).
    4. If you want to change the LCD density, download & install PropEditor. Click the "Backup" button to create a backup in case you need to revert back. Then click the "Open" button and in the file manager which opens, tap ".." till you reach the system root. Then tap "system" and the tap "build.prop" to open the editor. Look for "ro.sf.lcd.density" and tap it to change the value. Press the "Menu" key and tap "Save". Reboot.
    5. Increasing the DalvikVM memory size will improve performance of the bigger high-graphics Tegra games. Go to Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> VM heap size and set it as 64m.
    6. To overclock or underclock your device, go to Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> CPU settings and set the Min CPU frequency and Max CPU frequency to a value of your choice. Click Set on boot to make the frequency setting persistent after reboot.
    7. If the Clock app opens every time you press the Home button, it's because Android thinks you GTablet is docked (I don't know why yet!). Install Dock No-Op to fix it.
    8. If you wish to use Market Enabler, use the one by For2w. It has many more providers to fake and works properly with the Android Marker 3.x.

KNOWN ISSUES:

1. Due to lack of official drivers and/or OpenGL issues, the video camera does not work and stagefright (media framework) FCs.
    2. Due to lack of official drivers & codecs, hardware decoding for videos does not work for most video formats other than MP4. Use a video player with software rendering.
    3. If audio from the loudspeaker suddenly stops, plug in a headset and then unplug it.
    4. Since the video camera does not work, any video apps which use the stock video camera will not work. Users have reported Fring & Oovoo video chat works.
    5. GoogleTalk and Skype now support ARMv7 without neon. This version of GoogleTalk is included in this ROM. But due to lack of official drivers and/or OpenGL issues, both GoogleTalk and Skype cannot broadcast video from the GTablet. The reciepent's video is visible on the GTablet.
    6. If you have a problem downloading applications from the Android Market and all/most apps show as "not available for device", try wiping Market data and cache and rebooting. If that does not work, edit build.prop and change the resolution 160 DPI and wipe Market data and cache and reboot.
    7. Some user may face SODs (Sleep of Death) wherein the device does not wake after sleep until a hard-reboot. Some possible workarounds are
    a. Enabling the lockscreen (see Tips & Tweaks)
    b. Setting the device to wake using volume keys (CyanogenMod setting -> Input -> Volume rocker wake)
    c. Setting the Min CPU frequency to 312 MHz or 456 MHz (see Tips & Tweaks)
    d. Visit this thread for more solutions
    8. Google Maps 6.x force closes due to openGL issues with Gingerbread on the GTablet. Use Google Maps 5.x.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

1. Try a data/factory reset
    2. Use ClockworkMod recovery and try a data/factory reset and format the boot and system partitions
    3. Use ClockworkMod recovery and partition the internal SD card as 2048MB ext, 0MB swap, remaining FAT32
    4. nvFlash to the stock image

DISCLAIMER:

While this has been branded a "stable" release, do note that it is not 100% perfect. I will do my best to help you out if you have any problems, but I take no responsibility if you land up with a brick. Much of the actual hard-work behind the functionality of this ROM belongs to the various developers and teams credited in the changelogs above. Throw a nice thanks to them for their hard work.

ARCHIVED RELEASE:
    1. CYANOGENMOD7.1.0.1-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.7
    2. CYANOGENMOD7.1-RC-Build52-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.7
    3. CYANOGENMOD7.1-RC-Build21-REPACK | ANDROID 2.3.5
    4. CYANOGENMOD-7.1.0-RC1 | ANDROID 2.3.4

More details and download links for archived releases
    Release update... based on CyanogenMod-7.2.0-RC0 Build 98... main new features...
    - Market 3.3.12
    - Music 4.0.9
    - Superuser 3.0.7
    - Demotivators ProTips
    - Stagefright (Android Media Framework) fixes and enchancements for improved audio & video playback
    - Newest 2.6.32.48 OC/UV kernel
    - Latest stock camera works (no pixelated still photographs)
    - Pandora and other internet radio apps payback is no longer slow
    - Default browser bookmarks made GTablet specific
    - General speed and stability improvements
    I'm working on a new update for this ROM... CyanogenMod 7.2 RC0 (Build 98)... trying to further tweak performance and/or battery life (yeah, it's getting the balance which is a pain)... trying to fix the issues with Pandora... maybe a few Market tweaks...

And after that, probably a little more time trying to fix the video cam issues!! (no guarantees)
    updated release to CyanogenMod-7.1.0.1-REPACK... details in first post
    New release is ready... tested out for stability and performance... IMHO noticeably faster than previous releases because of hand-picked tweaks fro performance, battery life & internet... I've also updated the tips & tweaks, known issues and recommended sections... see first post for details and download links!